Painting Chapter Signs

Hello everyone,

following issue: I have a Black Templar Like Army. Means Black Armor, White/Red Shoulderpaterns (Still did not finaly decide), the border of the shoulderpatterns is shiny gold.

So yesterday I tried to paint one marine with white shoulder paterns to see how it looks, especialy with the golden border. Afterwards I tried to paint an iron cross (an old german symbol looking a bit like the sign of the black templars, whci is supposed to be my chapters sign) on the shoulder patern. To sum it up it realy sucked.... then I tried to cut out some kind of templete to paint with that - but the edges got all smudgy. My problem now is that I cant use the transfairs since I dont want to use the regular signs.

Does anyone know a solution?

Besides learning to paint properly of cause...

I would guess you try to paint a black cross. That is a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Do this instead: paint a black square first, then paint white wedges in each of the four corners. Hope that helps.

What I mean is this one

Cross

I was quite hard to find a suitable picture since it is among those thousends of symbols a certain german adopted nearly a century ago....

But Your Idea sound terrific - I will try it asap.

I know exactly what you mean, what I meant by my first sentence was the way you approach painting it, which needs to be reversed. Sorry for being a bit hard to read about that.

It should work quite fine the way I described it, obviously the wedges may at first differ in size to a degree, but as far as I can see, that is easier to correct than if you paint it the other way round. I paint all my templar crosses the same way, works very well.

I would guess you try to paint a black cross. That is a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Do this instead: paint a black square first, then paint white wedges in each of the four corners. Hope that helps.

What I mean is this one

Cross

I was quite hard to find a suitable picture since it is among those thousends of symbols a certain german adopted nearly a century ago....

But Your Idea sound terrific - I will try it asap.

Monday's Incoming on the Games Workshop site featured an Eldar character sporting the same style cross you are referring to, and painted in the same way Wolf Priest Haelaeif refers to. "The symbol on the cloak began life as a square of Vermin Brown and Tommie used Chaos Black to paint in the gaps that create the shape."

Hope this helps,

Iarmereth

Archived