Sound effect bases?

This came up in my mind the other day when I was watching the combat scene from Aliens (and playing the old-school Space Hulk video game). If there a way you can incorporate a miniature soundboard into the Terminator (or smaller) bases? I mostly ask because I would like to base all of the Terminators from my Space Hulk board game (the newest one) with these little devices, particularly with the sound effects from Aliens, if at all possible. Any ideas?

People have been playing with the notion of using short range RFID sensors or magnet switches to accomplish this. You might also have some success with repurposing a DC train control system as there is sound and light control for those, but they tend not to be wireless. Nothing like this is cheap though, and all of it likely requires a fairly advanced electronics acumen.

People have been playing with the notion of using short range RFID sensors or magnet switches to accomplish this. You might also have some success with repurposing a DC train control system as there is sound and light control for those, but they tend not to be wireless. Nothing like this is cheap though, and all of it likely requires a fairly advanced electronics acumen.

I wouldn't mind commissioning someone to do it, and I fully understand it wouldn't be cheap. The idea of using a DC Train Control system sounds interesting though, I'll look into it. Thanks. (And no, I do not possess said advanced electronics acumen).

MicroMark is a great place for anything you could imagine that's hobby-related, and they do have small sound boards and boards that make fire effects with LEDs and things like that for their trains:

Micromark Electronic stuff

However, it's going to be expensive, and you need to know a tiny bit about electronics to hook it up, because those boards don't contain speakers or power supplies. Not a ton, though, you just need to follow the instructions (they're on the page for each sound module).

That's probably not the best solution, but it's a start to know what you're in for. You might want to contact micromark and see if they or their supplier can do custom sounds. It looks like they use the same board for every sound, so with the right channels you could probably find what you're looking for.

You want a sound board that generates your sound and has a speaker on the board. Then you also want to figure out the power supply, but you could probably just find a way to get a watch battery on the underside of the base.

Check this out.

Some guy make a Cult of Fire Chaos Demon (daemon?) Army for WHFB that had a LEDs and fiberoptics lighting up his fire demons and the eyes of his champions. It's not the same thing that you're trying to do, but it's important to note that he used an extant source of light and power, a keychain light, then built the models around those, so he didn't need to worry about space as much.

Thinking about it, you could try to find a tiny bluetooth speaker of some sort, remove the electronics from the plastic case so it's smaller, attach it to the bottom of the base, then play the music wirelessly through your laptop. It wouldn't be too loud, though.

The other thing that should exist but I can't think of where to find is just a tiny device recording device with an integrated speaker and battery. Of course, the main issue is if once you take it apart if it will fit in the base.

I'm into electronics as well as modeling, so this fascinates me, but I doubt you could get away with it for less that $75 to $100 per model.

EDIT: Or I could be wrong, here's those little keychain voice recorder doodads for $6 a pop at Amazon. They look like they could be dissembled and placed into a base, you would just have to record your own sounds and figure out how the buttons work and how to place it with the battery. If it doesn't work, not a huge investment. I could see a button sticking up through the base that you press to play the sound.

Those key chain recorders sound like something I can start experimenting with. Thank you for the suggestion!

Also, if you still feel interested in this project, feel free to send me a PM. I'll be the first to admit I have no expertise when it coms to this electronics stuff, so any help in this project would be appreciated!

ive seen a few vids on you tube of people hacking those speakers and soundcards you get in hallmark greetings cards. they might work
i was thinking along the same lines, and found these voice-pads, but the same guys also do little recorders. Might be worth a look, and they don't look that expensive if it doesn't work?

Archived