Anyone have tips Protecting Sanguinary Priests?

TrentL

So from my understanding a IC is its own unit in the assault, and they normally have to be at the front of the line right? In BtB contact, as well attacks can be focused on the IC by units that are BtB with the IC, as well as all units 2" of those in BtB with the IC.

So ... reading that, everyone and their mother must target our Sanguinary Priests... and I can see why talks of having them stay inside of Land Raiders to grow the bubble and keep the SP safe start up.

I'm curious though how do you guys keep your IC moderly safe? Are their tips on placement (Try to get them near the sides etc)

I'm starting to think that instead of running SP's I'll run 2 HG for the Hidden SP and keep them behind my RAS units as a counter assault unit..

I run a mech list so I keep my priest in a transport where possible. All his abilities are "area of effect" so it doesn't matter if he's attached to the squad or not.

As an added bonus, keeping him in a rhino variant means that I can zoom 18" if needed to support a different assault :lol:

As an added bonus, keeping him in a rhino variant means that I can zoom 18" if needed to support a different assault :)

That's actually an amazing friggin idea.... never thought of that one, thanks. Time to wrok on some evil crap :(

Yeah and I've heard putting them in Storm Ravens aor Land Raiders and zooming them all over the place.

But My BA are JP BA not Mech BA ... I <3 the Assault marine I chose BA because of them!

So while I know in Transports they are truely safe I'm looking more for placement tips, I'm starting to think that having 1 SP in every RAS is not smart ... but better to make smaller units of Counter Charge JP (VanGuard Vets or HG) to travel within 6" of the RAS to give them the bubble on the charge, then jump in afterwards to help out.

Because I've noticed when my SP dies in combat... my marine's start dropping much quicker and to huge ork blobs that's an issue.

In assault, sometimes you can keep the priest back to avoid base contact. And one of mine hardly ever leaves his razorback.

Um, James I don't know if it works like that. IC's are the one's that have to both charge first and defender react first. They are considered the "hero" if they are an IC and so they show their bravery. Then again, just charge/defend them by doing so into a model 2 inches away from something with a power weapon or fist.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway.

I run a jp army and my sang priests are always in the thick of it. So far they've almost always been the last man standing out of the squad hehe. As far as placement is concerned, about all you can really do is keep them at the back of the battle behind an assault marine until enough marines die that there is no possibility of that happening and pray to the dice gods that they keep him safe :(

So what I'm guessing is when I"m charging in (The only time I can choose) have the IC try and hit the flanks so that less characters are in Base to Base contact. I used to actually equip my priests with PW and stuff, but I've seen them die so much I'm not sure that's worth it, I prefer now to try and have hidden weapons (like Sgts)

In assault, sometimes you can keep the priest back to avoid base contact. And one of mine hardly ever leaves his razorback.

Um, James I don't know if it works like that. IC's are the one's that have to both charge first and defender react first. They are considered the "hero" if they are an IC and so they show their bravery. Then again, just charge/defend them by doing so into a model 2 inches away from something with a power weapon or fist.

ICs have to react first. They don't have to charge first. Plus if you are at the rear of your unit, you might not reach even if you try.

As IC's you'll just have to be careful how you maneuvre them into the assault. Remember that if you engage the PF/PW seargent in b2b with models from the rest of your squad then that seargent must throw his attacks against the squad and not against the priest. If that seargent is not in b2b but within 2" of another model in b2b then he can hit you.

As IC's you'll just have to be careful how you maneuvre them into the assault. Remember that if you engage the PF/PW seargent in b2b with models from the rest of your squad then that seargent must throw his attacks against the squad and not against the priest. If that seargent is not in b2b but within 2" of another model in b2b then he can hit you.

Ah now see that's something I didn't think of, good to know.

When I place my guys what if the priest is in the middle of the pack and when charging he can't get to the front though?

Ah now see that's something I didn't think of, good to know.

When I place my guys what if the priest is in the middle of the pack and when charging he can't get to the front though?

Then he can't fight or be hit.

Okay that's good to know as well... sometimes FnP is more important than his extra 2 attacks. Though that's really as cheap as keeping it in a vechile.

Okay that's good to know as well... sometimes FnP is more important than his extra 2 attacks. Though that's really as cheap as keeping it in a vechile.

Its not really cheap. You're getting a benefit(he is protected) for a drawback(he can't fight). The drawback just isn't necessarily terrible unless his 2 attacks are needed. Think of it as him standing in the back for a sec to bolster the troops and tend the wounded or something. If the combat stalls he piles in like the rest anyways.

ICs have to react first. They don't have to charge first. Plus if you are at the rear of your unit, you might not reach even if you try.

AH! I thought it was both, and yeah you're right on the rear etc.

When dealing with such a useful yet fragile IC, you really have to take as many precautions as possible. If you're like me and you can't roll to save an actual human life, keep him in the damn boat!

But you also have to look at it in terms of benefits and risks. Do you really want to lose the WS5 S5 I5 attacks? You end up killing about two marines with a power weapon equipped. If you look at it from a killhammer perspective as warp angel would put it (at least I think this is what he gets at), the SP along with a small unit would be a cleaner unit finishing off those small squads you already pummeled.

Perhaps when it comes to a jump pack unit, run a 10 man and five man with priest near one another (5 man behind for cover) and have them finish off a target that bailed from the 10 man assault while the big squad hits a new target. Makes some sense on paper at least.

You can disembark your SP as the last man out of the transport. Rules state that ICs have to move first into combat after the closest model though, so as long as you make sure the second closest enemy model doesn't have a fist or another special weapon, you should be ok.

For safety reasons I leave mine in the transport. I will always disembark and move first, so I can then reposition the Rhino variant to ensure it is within 6" of the combat to still confer the bonus.

My Priests are typically in the thick of the assaults and I arm mine with either a power sword or lightning claw. By using them in close combat with the assault Marines those extra attacks mean I have beat down nasty units like Berzerkers, Plague Marines, Grey Hunters & even some daemons. Priests are devasting on the charge.

0b :blush:

I have found that its best to keep my priests in the center of a unit. For starters this helps keep there protective bubble more effective to cover a larger unit or two units if need be. But also it helps keep them from being a large target. I also try to keep them right next to the sergeant as mentioned early in the post so they can't be selected as an IC normally is, but as part of the unit. I have also found that right now, i haven't ran into people who actually seem to treat them as ICs as much as a Unit attachment. SO luckily i haven't had anyone try to target them directly in combat, but i know its bound to happen eventually. In my army they do stand out since they have the bright white armor with red shoulder pads, the rest of my marines have black armor with red shoulderpads.

I never thought about using a speeding rhino as a way to get them to support other units, however my group seems to have worked out a ruling on the aura effects that it will only effect the unit in the vehicle and not other units outside of the vehicle even if they are sitting right next to the vehicle and technically within a 6 inch radius of the center of the vehicle the priest is hanging out in. So even with the rhino trick i would take me two turns to do anything like that, one turn for him to get in the rhino, then to rush him across the board, then another turn to disembark him.

So far i think to get the most out of my priest i will need to combine the priest for every two assault squads and use my smaller squads in unison to keep them all effective.

Keep him in the back of the unit before you assault. I'd rather have him miss out on a round of combat than move directly into contact with a Power weapon.

Always do your best to maneuver your assaulting you so that any power weapons or fists will be in b2b with a member of your squad, so they can't have their choice of what to swing at via the 2" rule.

Also, sometimes you have to accept risk with your priests. I played my priest too passively my last game, had I gotten him into base contact on my big charge I probably would have wiped out the terminators (well, average rolls I would have wiped them whether or not the priest reached base to base) allowing me to get into cover and then go first against the inevitable revenge assault. This passive play helped cost me the game.

WS5, S5 I5... why waste those armor ignoring attacks? No Priest would ever hide behind his Marines like some Skaven.

0b :(

I tend to agree. It's a nice little boost, and if you move him correctly, you're only going to have to take one maybe two guys worth of attacks.

Plus, 4 S5 WS5 attacks is really handy...

You can disembark your SP as the last man out of the transport. Rules state that ICs have to move first into combat after the closest model though, so as long as you make sure the second closest enemy model doesn't have a fist or another special weapon, you should be ok.

For safety reasons I leave mine in the transport. I will always disembark and move first, so I can then reposition the Rhino variant to ensure it is within 6" of the combat to still confer the bonus.

Perfect way to do it. However, the downsides of the priests (1 wound) are one reason I like to run my DC or HG.

It's 50pts down the drain if you fail one save. Or 65 or even 90pts if you buy him toys. Not worth it.

And you cannot just leave him at the back unless you are at maximum distance from the charge targets. They have to move second into combat and will move through models in the same unit.

Archived