Some Sang Priest clarification...

Grimtooth

I have seen the BA tactic of keeping your Sang Priest in the transport to protect him and extend his FnP and FC bubble. I have done this in a LR with my Rune Priest which extends his Storm Caller and Tempest Wrath.

You are only able to do this if you haven't moved the transport correct?

Don't move, disembark unit, leaving SG inside.

Unit moves towards target.

SG moves in transport to be within bubble range for target/unit

Unit shoots/assaults as normal with FnP and FC

Just wanting to make sure I have one of your tactics understood.

Not 100% sure what you mean, bud ><;

Are you asking are we able to charge if we havent moved?

What is it that you are worried about not doing if you move your tranport?

You can move the transport Ramses, and the bubble of the effect moves with it because its centered on the priest, and all of his measurements come from the entirety of the hull of the vehicle.

This works because you only measure for Furious Charge when a unit is going to actually charge. And you only measure for Feel No Pain when a unit takes a wound. Moving has no effect on the S. Priest and his abilities.

i also dont see what you mean/. the SP's bubble is an 6 inch passive field that works all the time....so lopng as hes alive :)

so whetever the transport moved 12 inches, stood still or whatever the field extends from the hull of the transport!

dont know how tempest wrath and stormcalled work though so you have me there :HQ:

any chance one of you guys can point me to some official ruling that states that the bubble effect does extend from the outside of a transport. I actually pondered this the other night when i was up at the nearest gaming store(wish i could say local but its a 45 min one way drive).

Anyways the guy said around there they only use those bubble effects if they are on the ground that it wouldn't effect the vehicle or any other units outside of the vehicle if they are inside the transport. So i would love to know where i can find an official ruling as this would also negate those librarian powers that give those within 6" of them a cover save. It also means i could use my fnp bubble as well and if its an official ruling then they can't not let me use those two effects.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I'm 100% sure someone will hep you affirm the details and their BRB locations right promptly.

...but I assure you. Powers of the psychic variety AND otherwise like 'bubbles' are not prohibited from working from within vehicles and are measured from hulls. Remember they're constant powers or activated by player choice. There's no rule stating they're impossible inside vehicles.

(hmm... has a quick look.)

pg 66, Embarking last sentence.

(~shooting attacks are measured from fire points).

You're also somewhat free to measure this area of affect. pg 3, Measuring Distances last paragraph. However, this one can cause arguments so keep it to valid moments of detection rather than planning or curiosity.

"Why the hell are you measuring around that vehicle!!?!"

"Why, I'm working out it's area of affect."

"You're not supposed to be able to do that!"

"Actually I am, see here?"

*shows page 3*

"But you don't need to do that now! And no one's shooting at anyone or anything!"

"Actually, I think I do, my curiosity was getting the better of me. Knowing where it is calls for me to measure it."

"Man, that's just cheap. The rules are not calling for you to do that!"

etc

I am not 100% where the ruling is, I'll grab my books and take a look but here are a few examples from other armies that work in the same or almost the same manner off the top of my head.

Imperal Guard - The Commander can issue orders out of a Chimera, to do so you measure from the edge of the tank.

Space Wolves - Storm Caller (I think this is the one) lets the Rune Priest cast a storm that gives everything around him a 5+ cover save. If he is in a vehical this radius is measured from the tank.

Eldar - If you have a Farseer inside a tank and he casts Fortune, Guide or Doom on a unit you measure from the tank when checking if the unit is in range.

Orks - If you have a Big Mek and he has a Kustom Force Field which grants everything around him a cover save, if he is in a vehical you measure from the hull of the transport for range.

These are just a few off the top of my head that I can think of that act exactly the same or very close to the Priest ability. The Storm Caller and KFF are the same idea.

page 66 under embarking and disembarking almost at the end of the embarking paragraph: "if the player needs to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull"

shooting out of transports happens from fire points and thus you dont use the hull. clear enough? :D

thanks guys. As stated i was curious about how it works, since i am still a bit rusty using 5th edition rules. I Still find myself getting them confused with 3rd edition as i honestly didn't play it seems at all under 4th(or as i refer to it as 3.5 lol).

Anyways the guy i was playing said that at the store they pretty much have ruled that bubble or area effects when inside a vehicle they count it as just covering those inside the vehicle, unless its an open top vehicle, namely the orks and there mek shields, cover the radius of the models based on the meks location. To me it seemed a bit bogus as i was thinking it seemed to favor the ork armies but basically rip off the few marine armies i could recall bubble effects for(like the wolves and blood angels).

So under this listing and clarification, i can now validate its effect thanks to you guys and can now state obvious examples where if i can't use my bubble from a vehicle, then other armies are going to get the shaft when i play at that store as well.

However in my army list it didn't really matter since all my troops pretty much had FNP anyways, due to the 3 RAS that i was fielding each had a priest tagging along and the DC unit comes with it already.

if a group houserules something be very carefull when telling them that the rulebooks actually states anything on the matter...although i dont have any personal experience (i.e. bad experience) with such a thing but i heard some odd stories when someone tried to tell the "old dogs" that the way that they play the game isent how the rulebooks says it should be played :lol:

try to see if the locals are prepared to debate a rule that they thinkg work in manner A and you think runs in manner B. if they are open to debate and wouldnt mind you showing them then go ahead. if theyre stubborn dont waste time tbh because like you said, it doesent really effect your army.

kinda an odd ruling if you ask me though ;)

Heh Im going to guess there is alot of greenskin filth at this store? But as you said it really does not screw over your armyso yeah so yeah if you feel like telling them they are wrong you could end up with them being dicks and not playing you or something and then thats a big waste of gas.

Well...i doubt they are that strict, lots of young pups who haven't been in the hobby as long as i have, as most of those faces i never saw back at the old gaming stores that use to be there or have gone under recently, or from when i spent a year working as a GW employee.

Anyways, yeah it doesn't effect my current list, but i plan on eventually making some variant lists to change it up some, and dropping a 65 point priest out to get more warm bodies yet still trying to get that squad the coverage from another priest is always an option.

Its also nice to know the rules and offical stands on it incase i hit up tournaments. If i can show where the rule is at, then it means i can argue anyone who says i can't use it if i happen to use it. I am not into abusing the rules in my favor, but i don't like being told i can't do something just to find out after the tourney that i was in the right, and the other player wins because i went with the dice or tourney rulings that were in favor of certain armies and nerf others.

Nothing like getting a loss when it matters due to a ruling you weren't 100% sure about.

I am not bringing this up in regard to the bubble working from a transport, I am bringing it up as to when you can properly seperate the unit from the Sang Priest per the IC rules for joining and leaving a unit.

You want to know if you can, from the start of your move phase, disembark the unit (SP stays inside), move unit up, move ride up to provide bubble for (shoot+) charge?

yip

page 67, disembarking

IC remaining inside is a normal option for an IC leaving a unit.

You want to know if you can, from the start of your move phase, disembark the unit (SP stays inside), move unit up, move ride up to provide bubble for (shoot+) charge?

yip

page 67, disembarking

IC remaining inside is a normal option for an IC leaving a unit.

Yes. I wanted to clarify that this the only way that it can be done.

Well, that's the way it's done.

Assault vehicles get to move first, then disembark troops (that can assault). Regular transports can't do that.

The disemark rules state they have to be more then 2" away from each other.

IC are specifically only allowed to join or leave a unit in the Movement phase. They are specifically disallowed from leaving or joining a unite during the Assault phase or Shooting phase.

So a LR (assault ramps), was to move 6" and the assaulting unit was to get out, the Sang Priest would have to get out as well because there would be no way they could move more then 2" away from eachother during the Movement phase.

The only way would be for the LR not to have moved. The unit disembarks, moves then 2" away from the LR, thus breaking coherency with the Sang Priest. The LR and SP move so as to be in range of unit while the shoot and assault.

Assault vehicles get to move first, then disembark troops (that can assault). Regular transports can't do that.

IC are specifically only allowed to join or leave a unit in the Movement phase. They are specifically disallowed from leaving or joining a unite during the Assault phase or Shooting phase.

So a LR (assault ramps), was to move 6" and the assaulting unit was to get out, the Sang Priest would have to get out as well because there would be no way they could move more then 2" away from eachother during the Movement phase.

The only way would be for the LR not to have moved. The unit disembarks, moves then 2" away from the LR, thus breaking coherency with the Sang Priest. The LR and SP move so as to be in range of unit while the shoot and assault.

Not true.

Land Raider moves up. Assaulting unit gets out the front. Priest gets out the side. This can be done to keep them apart, but both disembark.

Not true.

Land Raider moves up. Assaulting unit gets out the front. Priest gets out the side. This can be done to keep them apart, but both disembark.

Yes that can be done but the SP is no longer protected in the LR extending his bubble from the hull.

Archived