Terminators

Demoulius

hello folks, i have come into my possesion about 10 unassembled terminators and a normal godwyn pattern landraider (painted sadly, and tbh the painted layer isthick ^_^ ) that i can do with whatever i wish...

i have a dillema however. i want to assemble them at least (heck theyre free...sorta) but i want to make them a centre piece for my army if i do assemble them. what im talking about is forge world shoulderpads, and landraider doors for their (not yet bought crusader) ride :lol:

but...yea the problem is funds. im currently unemployed and already have a great deal of other things to assemble and paint already. my bankaccount is shrinking fast and i do like to go out with friends from time to time or have a bite to eat when im at my local game store.... so if i would go this route id have to wait for employment. its a thing im working on mind you but currently the economy isent so well that jobs are out for grabs ;)

so what do you guys think i should do? should i wait till i can bling them out accordingly or should i just suck it up and assemble them in the old fashioned way?

I know a lot of people say that using LC's is great because you can give them a priest for FC/FNP, but honestly, I didn't have any luck with them in a mix unit (2 thunderhammer/ 4 LC). I'd go all thunderhammers. LC's just let them get shot up too fast, and most people won't fire anything at terminators that would allow them an armor save anyway, so feel no pain isn't even all that useful. If you have that many terminators riding around in a land raider, they're going to draw a lot of fire.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of time on your hands.

Strip the thick paint off the LR.

Soak it, strip it. Attack with an old toothbrush, soak, repeat.

Then, strip it again.

Disassemble as much of it as possible without snapping anything (beyond repair).

Have a good long think about how to build sponsons.

Buy a few lumps of GS. 'Waste' one practicing making cloaks, seals, wings and accouterments for typical terminator wargear. Repair any damage to LR.

After you've done all that, your perspective will be different and you just might end up building hurricane bolters and have found/made a TLAC for the top. (assuming your existing LR is HB + las sponsons)

At least, that's what I'd (try to) do. I spent 3 days stripping and repairing a butchered enamel painted corbolo/sanguinary priest and now I'm proud of him. He really feels like he's mine now.

I'd say wait until you find a job, and then spring for some of the FW shoulder pads. I'm in the process of assembling Terminators with them myself, and the shoulder pads are quite nice. I'm waiting for some more to arrive so I can finish my 10 man tactical termie squad... :P

*Edited for spelling*

I'd say try to get a hold of some SH terminators and mix them up. Someone built a squad of 5 using 2-3 SH models and it looked great.

The FW doors for the LR are nice but not essential. Plasticard costs 2-3€ for a nice, large sheet and you can cut emblems and stuff out of that. And I'm sure you'll have enough purity seals flying about for deco anyway.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of time on your hands.

Strip the thick paint off the LR.

Soak it, strip it. Attack with an old toothbrush, soak, repeat.

Then, strip it again.

Disassemble as much of it as possible without snapping anything (beyond repair).

Have a good long think about how to build sponsons.

Buy a few lumps of GS. 'Waste' one practicing making cloaks, seals, wings and accouterments for typical terminator wargear. Repair any damage to LR.

After you've done all that, your perspective will be different and you just might end up building hurricane bolters and have found/made a TLAC for the top. (assuming your existing LR is HB + las sponsons)

At least, that's what I'd (try to) do. I spent 3 days stripping and repairing a butchered enamel painted corbolo/sanguinary priest and now I'm proud of him. He really feels like he's mine now.

That. It is not only a cheaper solution, but it will also give you a sense of achievement, make you feel successful. And that may be especially helpful if you do not have any career success at the moment, but even if you soon find a job, doing it this way will in the end be a lot more enjoyment than just buying stuff and doing it the easy way.

If you have plenty of other things to be painting already, don't fall into the trap of spending money on things before you have completed something else. You have plenty of time to save up for the Forgeworld doors and pads as well as the Crusader, so just wait and finish the other stuff.

Trust me. No point messing up your finances to buy more toys you won't even get round to painting for another month.

If you have plenty of other things to be painting already, don't fall into the trap of spending money on things before you have completed something else. You have plenty of time to save up for the Forgeworld doors and pads as well as the Crusader, so just wait and finish the other stuff.

Trust me. No point messing up your finances to buy more toys you won't even get round to painting for another month.

That, and what I said.

Use what you got... finish what you got. :(

Seriously, listen to this advice. I never got it, and have 6k points of unpainted BA's.

Agreed, there are far to many people that play with unpainted armys, at the original warhammer store i played at unpainted models had a base Leadership of 5 as no one loved them.

But once you get your other stuff done and get a job ya bum, then without question you should make sure your terminators look awsome (un ornate terminators die easier) its a fact

But once you get your other stuff done and get a job ya bum, then without question you should make sure your terminators look awsome (un ornate terminators die easier) its a fact

its not so much a fact that im a bum but the fact that with current economy its nigh impossible to get a job as a starter in this damned country <_< i have 2 educations together with 3 years or working experience and its still not enough to meet demand for funcitons for starters...

im a starter and i dont have enough experience :huh: after 6 months of hearing the same excuse you kind of get fed up with it....the fact that ALOT of people with more experience are currently unemployed isent helpfull for me -_- but yea....

and indeed blinged out units die harder....thats why they have a nice 14/14/14 pimpmobile to drive them to their dedicated demise B)

but it seems il have to finish the 2 dozen projects that i currently have running first after all....oh well when stuff is out of the box il have more room for my terminators anyway :P

I know how you feel Dem, as I experienced similar a little while back. I think you've got some pretty good advice from some of the others so yeah, patience is a virtue. Like you, I have several projects on the go and in the pipeline, before I even touch my SH Termies - which is a sacrilege really seeing as I made a point of getting SH as soon as it was up for order - but I'm technically still down £x because they're still sitting in a box unused, which is really no different to being on the shelf of my local store.

The FW shoulder pads aren't going anywhere and will still be available when get some work and income going, and I wish you luck in your hunt mate - I know it's not easy.

My opinion is, well a bit of both suggestions. clean up the models, as that costs noting and you will have to do it anyway. dry fit the termies to see what poses you are going for. Look up other converted termies, and the spacehulk ones. Get inspiration and ideas. Also do you have the new death company boxed set, or any other blood angel specific bits/ models? try practising greenstuff molds so you can transfer extra details onto the termies. the forgeworld set looks great, but means really ornate shoulders with plain bodys. so you could pimp the bodys and give youtime for finding a job so you can see if you can afford them, or decide to do them yourself. if you follow me that is?

Feel the pain! I have got a job, but wife, three kids and mortgage usually leave me in a 'can't buy the shoulder pads' position too.

I put my Terminators and landraider crusader together by a combination of ebay (LRC, Forge world doors), saving up a pound a week for a month to buy the forgeworld pads - they really are worth it. See them on the assault squad in the new codex. transformative. Then asking my parents to buy me the Terminator squad. Surely there's some-one out there thinking 'it is always difficult to know what to buy Demoulius for his birthday/anniversary/significant social or religious festival'. Drop those hints!

On the other side - sell. You must have some stuff you never play with. People are paying silly money for BA bits (the one BA power sword, the crusade helmet). If all goes well you will have some spare LRC doors and terminator pads, if nothing else.

Or use you spare time to paint up other gamers' armies for them. You may envy us our money, but boy do we workers envy you your time!

Archived