More new Blood

I' liking the halved scheme for the sanguinary priests - not seen that used before but it looks good. Overall the painting is clean and precise, though if I can make a couple of suggestions which may make them look even better. Maybe water down the paints a little more for a smoother finish, though it could just be the photos as I remember seeing your dreadnought and he looked great. The gold looks a bit pale in places - I'd recommend using a darker base colour then building up to gold (tin bitz perhaps) and / or a wash of a brown colour. That way the gold will have a lot more depth to it. I see you've used the marine shoulder pad as a psychic hood but upside down - presumably to look like a mephiston-style collar rather than the typical hood? Good use of BA bits all round.

Jimbo-

The painting was done exactly the same way as my dready, so i have to claim poor photography ;) I did make extensive use of stripped, and old 2nd hand bits for both the Libby and the JP Priest, doing what i could to get rid of old paint and primer. All my paints are also Vallejo, so are thinner to begin with. But I also think I had more room to spread the paint on the larger surfaces of the dread, so that my be part of the difference.

The golds were done based in Vallejo's ORO series copper, washed and worked up, but on some the painted had "weird discoloration" for a lack of a better term. Don't know why. And I also tried to highlight with Mithrial silver... which I too am not sold on.

As for the hood, I had seen someone here on the B&C use the same method, and I liked it (that, and the fact that my 1st 3 attempts at a decent "traditional" shoulder hood turned out rather poor...)

Thanks for the C&C

Archived