IA: Night Wolves

Jacobius

but... the Tiber is river near the Rome.

Ha! I swear I didn't even think of this. I got Tiberon by modifying Captain Kirk from Star Trek's middle name, Tiberius.

If it's a data-file or printout, what prevents the Night Wolves from running away with it?

To where? The planet has been overrun by Orks. I think you might be on to something though, I'll have a think, I'm going to be rewriting the whole thing by looks of it.

Btw, Tyberos is Chapter Master of Space Sharks.

I was not aware of this. Is Tiberon too close to Tyberos?

Cheers for the feedback, it is much appreciated :)

-J-

If it's a data-file or printout, what prevents the Night Wolves from running away with it?

To where? The planet has been overrun by Orks. I think you might be on to something though, I'll have a think, I'm going to be rewriting the whole thing by looks of it.

Off planet, of course. The Thunderhawks are awaiting your signal.

~ NightrawenII

I like where this IA has got to. Having them as White Scar successors is a nice way of logically starting them on the path of being quite Wolfy without resorting to making them Space Wolf successors or just Space Wolfs by another name.

Agree that the neighbouring planet named Roma is a bridge too far. It's quite conceivable that in an Imperium of a million worlds, there might be two places with the same name (we achieve that quite readily on one planet at present). It's also quite conceivable that a planet may be named after an ancient city of Old Earth - or the site of a past imperial battle.

That said, I read Remus and thought "that's a touch obvious but no biggy" then read Roma and groaned a little. Reckon change it to something else.

That said, I read Remus and thought "that's a touch obvious but no biggy" then read Roma and groaned a little. Reckon change it to something else.

Yeah definitely changing it, as I said up above, couldn't get Italian cities out of my head at the time. Will also be turning the system with Remus into a two planet system so there will be Romulus and Remus named because there are only two planets in the system.

Thanks for the feedback :)

-J-

i like them, but i gotta say they are an ery reminder of the Luna Wolves

How so? I'm not too familiar with the Horus Heresy back story beyond the basics. Or is it just the badge?

So the Chapter will be recruiting Romulans?

Nay, only Remus will be inhabited. The idea is that they were named Romulus and Remus by an Imperial Surveyor with a better than average knowledge of ancient Terra legends because they're the only two planets in the system :)

Wouldn't you if you could? XD

Hey Messor, long time no...post? Write? Whatever... :)

Not even I would be obvious enough to call them Romulans :P

-J-

Got any updates planned?

Does this count?

image(1)

Need some clean up, was supposed to get them painted last weekend, alas, real life keeps getting in the way (both myself and my paint tutor have toddlers, makes it difficult to get away).

Also in the middle of a major revision of the fluff due to Octavulg's worthy critique.

coincidence in the badge mostly, but a badge is a symbol and symbols say alot

If it's the badge, I'm not too worried. They're not too similar and there are plenty of examples of similar badges for very different chapters.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Luna_Wolves_Legionssymbol.jpg#.UWCybsotdcc

-J-

Looks like a solid start to me. Just do me sure and get 'em good and cleaned. I rushed to get my LPC vow models assembled and primed before I moved, and it was actually kind of depressing painting over all those mold lines ;_;

I know, intentionally so. Originally I was going to have a two planet system, Romulus and Remus but that fell by the wayside. Perhaps I should put it in?

That'd at least make it seem a little more natural.

2. The 40k universe lacks subtlety quite often e.g. Fenris, Sanguinius, Corvus Corax, Ferrus Manus for heaven's sake.

Two of those are OK. Fenris is a planet name. Planet names are allowed to be blatant references to creatures of myth. And Ferrus Manus actually had iron hands - so long as everyone pretends he got his name AFTER that, all is well.

Remus isn't that bad until you throw Roma on top, I suppose. He's just such a notable figure...

Yeah I only had a vague idea of "many chapters were purged, an unnamed chapter used to protect this region, go make a new chapter to protect this region" It could be an interesting plot hook, I will think on it. Don't think they'll be taking over their fortress monastery or anything. I expect that most chapters would have suffered exterminatus so there wouldn't be anything to take over.

Wolves dwelling in the ruins of something mighty that came before them would be awesome. Fact. A fortress monastery in the ruins of the previous one would be neat.

Are you saying that all ~1000 marines are implanted at once i.e. enough geneseed for the entire chapter is given out and implanted all in one go? Or are you saying that the initial decimation shouldn't hamper them for long? Because I figured they'd be cautious with implantation to begin with, especially coming on the heels of the cursed founding but that once they got going, replacing half a company shouldn't take too long. Perhaps I need to be clearer about what's going on with the initial beginnings of the chapter?

B, I think. Mostly, I'm just saying that they'd have a pretty close to full complement within decades of their founding, and so these events would have to happen pretty shortly after they arrived at Remus.

It's 26 members of the company not 50. Perhaps he should go tho...

Not if it's less than half, I think. Though it is pretty important...

It's a subheading under homeworld or would you prefer it just be the next paragraph under homeworld?

The IA format really isn't up to subheadings. tongue.png

Remussars don't know about the space marines on their planet. They frighten their children with stories of Stone giants roaming the forests, snatching children with their ghostly white claws... P'raps this needs to be in there rather than in my head?

Little bit. tongue.png

Yep. But they only recruit from this one planet, are rarely present as more than a company on operations, they use scouts to replace tactical brothers and there is a fairly high attrition rate amongst scouts I expect. So while they start out with 80 scouts, they don't have them for long.

They may use Marines in carapace armor. But Scouts only have a service of life of about five years - then it's time for their Black Carapace to be implanted and they can be put in power armor.

OK. I've been very cautious and have tried to avoid mary sueness as much as possible.

Success, I think.

I've tried to keep the wolf theme subtle but still there.

Also success, though a little less so.

The combat doctrine I'm going for is along the lines of modern special forces. They're not going in tank heavy, they don't do sieges. It's about mobility, stealth and applying small amounts of force for maximum effect. They're not brawlers like SW, they're not bloodthirsty like BA or WS, they're smart, pragmatic, rational, efficient, controlled, methodical, cunning.

There, but a bit imperfect. For example, Drop Pods don't seem to fit with this. And protracted attrition is very wolfy (so long as it's the enemy's attrition).

The Eruditium, as I see it in my head, epitomises this, they have consciously chosen to ingrain the gathering and manipulation of knowledge into the structure of their chapter and the training of every recruit. They're all about "fight smart, fight easy". It's why the White Paws are scattered throughout the squads, they are men to be respected for their experience and knowledge who MAY hold rank but don't have to, why sequester them all away in veteran squads? It's why I chose the wolf for their emblem, a small group that works together to bring down larger prey through cunning and stealth. They attempt to turn war into a science not an art.

Wolves are animals, though. That conflicts a bit with the analytical methods you seem to be leaning toward here.

Cut out some of the explanations of the obvious and I think things'll be a lot more solid. Then you can expand somewhat.

When I first saw the Chapter symbol, I thought it was Logan Grimnar's Great Company badge. Very similar.

Is this the badge you're referring to?

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/big-jims-weekly-painting-and-modelling.html

They are quite similar but I feel there's enough difference there, especially with the colour scheme I've chosen that it should be ok. Also note that if I were to make mine 3D only the areas in black would be raised.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention, it would have been tragic to be using a badge that's already taken by SW :) (who I dislike but also secretly covet dry.png )

And protracted attrition is very wolfy (so long as it's the enemy's attrition)

Yes and wolves do it by wearing out their prey not frontal assault. I will be trying to convey this better in my revision.

Wolves are animals, though. That conflicts a bit with the analytical methods you seem to be leaning toward here.

Wolves don't walk on their hind legs either. I'm trying to focus on some very specific aspects of wolf "personality". Cunning, stealth, teamwork, careful, methodical. The analytical part comes from the fact we're talking about humans not actual wolves. They don't embrace all the aspects of a wolf's nature (e.g. feral savagery) just certain ones. My original idea for this was to make a wolf themed chapter that was distinct from what I consider to be the completely overblown SW.

Thanks for the feedback once again, it has helped me better voice some of the ideas I've had floating around for a long time but have never managed to get into the IA thanks.gif

Hopefully I'll get some time to finish the revision this week and get a new version up.

-J-

Archived