curing the flaw....

ok, so the apothecarion is attempting to find a cure for the flaw of our chapters, but could that be the problem? would this job be better suited for the librarium since it is the after affect of a psychic assault against one of the greatest psykers known?

or does the librarium get more involved than just keeping the records of what ideas show promise and which ones failed miserably?

i never thought of this before, and i feel like an idiot. it's a problem caused by a psyker, so doesn't it make sense for a psyker(s) to fix it? after all look at mephiston one of the most powerful psykers in the galaxy is the only one known to have completely over come the rage.

i really think that they are,as indeed is the whole chapter, when they aint dispensing the emperors mercy to his enemys that is...Also theproblem with using their powers to slove the problem is that it could dive into socery, and rember the 1k sons? Not bad enough that the inquisition are keeping an eye on mephy (and half the universe for that matter, cant blame them though)

It is a psychic effect imprinted in our genetics so I'd think that an apothecarion would make sense to be the first group to analyze the code and find which gene(s) are effected. Whether or not the apothecarion can actually perform any kind of genetic maniuplation safely is beyond me. I agree that it would make sense for a psyker to work on the cure as well because the physical effects might be invisible to normal science.

It's like a genetic memory right? I suppose they could start there.

I have contemplated this as well. What I am curious about, is that they mention the flaw as a degenerating effect of the gene-seed and how it is growing progressively worse. I would think that the Apothecaries would look at Dante's blood and compare to new recruit gene-seed and see if they can isolate where the degeneration is occurring at go backwards from there.

I think psychers don't work on the 'cure' because to them it's obvious that it's going to kill the best (read brutally powerful) parts of the geneseed, destroying BA identity and most importantly closing off the connection with their primarch. ~ this may be why the Lamentors have such a hard time. Their bad luck is the active disfavour of Him and Sanguinius.

It's also sacrilege to do so as it suggests that both the Emperor and Sanguinius were the flaw. To keep just the medicos hard at work suggests it's just a cloning error which everyone can live with.

If it aint broke, don't fix it?

Quite a conundrum they have if you ask me.

Shatter - interesting ideas you have there, but I disagree. The Black Rage and the Red thirst were not present in teh original Blood Angels. So the flaw was not the fault of the Emperor or Sanguinus. The reason the Priests are looking so hard for a cure is because they have no intention of destroying any part of the geneseed/progenoids, but they would rather not loose so many brothers to something they are sure must be curable somehow.

Imagine if every week on e of your group of friends suddenly turned into a vegetable... How hard would people start looking to find out why and then how to stop it. No BA wants the twin curse of the rage and the thirst. The librarians arent primarily responsible for searching for a cure because they are librarians, not geneticists, so dont really know how geneseed works. Would you get a landscape gardener to redesign the Space Shuttle for a last ditch attempt to save the human race by destroying an approaching asteriod? No, because he wouldnt have the first idea about how to go about it. You'd get someone familiar with aerodynamics and astrophysics...

Shatter - interesting ideas you have there, but I disagree. The Black Rage and the Red thirst were not present in teh original Blood Angels. So the flaw was not the fault of the Emperor or Sanguinus. The reason the Priests are looking so hard for a cure is because they have no intention of destroying any part of the geneseed/progenoids, but they would rather not loose so many brothers to something they are sure must be curable somehow.

Imagine if every week on e of your group of friends suddenly turned into a vegetable... How hard would people start looking to find out why and then how to stop it. No BA wants the twin curse of the rage and the thirst. The librarians arent primarily responsible for searching for a cure because they are librarians, not geneticists, so dont really know how geneseed works. Would you get a landscape gardener to redesign the Space Shuttle for a last ditch attempt to save the human race by destroying an approaching asteriod? No, because he wouldnt have the first idea about how to go about it. You'd get someone familiar with aerodynamics and astrophysics...

actually i believe the red thirst was always present, weaker during sanguinius and the crusade, but still there. the black rage is the only part of the flaw that is said to be the result of our primarch's death. they are separate, and not one thing which is something we need to remember when discussing the curse?

And for all we know Sanguinus may have kept the Red Thirst in check

That is what is hinted at in the codex, not to mention when he blacked out on Signus Prime every Blood Angel went absolutely berzerk. Quite a thought what if it has always been there and the death of Sanguinius has just unleashed it.

That is what is hinted at in the codex, not to mention when he blacked out on Signus Prime every Blood Angel went absolutely berzerk. Quite a thought what if it has always been there and the death of Sanguinius has just unleashed it.

where exactly is that story? i've heard it referenced, but haven't seen it.

I think that it was likely referenced in one of the Earlier Edition Blood Angel Codexs. I remember around 3rd edition that according to fluff all or almost all Blood Angels were Blood Drinkers.

I think that it was likely referenced in one of the Earlier Edition Blood Angel Codexs. I remember around 3rd edition that according to fluff all or almost all Blood Angels were Blood Drinkers.

i own AoD and the 3rd ed supp. dex, and don't recall it being in either of those. haven't looked at my copy of the PDF in a long long time.

Archived