Entering Golden Demon this year....

Well, having spent the weekend solidly gaming and drinking to excess, my friends and i have decided to enter the Golden Demon with the intention of winning a pin. All we want is to try and make first cut. Having seen many winning entries in the flesh at Warhammer World and even seeing mistakes and imperfections (of which there arent too many ;) ) we have decided to really push the boat out. My painting skills have come on a lot and i see this as a way of getting better.

Anyways, i know we have some incredible talents out here on the forums.....the Magma Trax tutorial being the entire reason for me registering on here. So, can some GD winners and veteran painters give out some advice to a n00b? I can offer little in return other than thanks and pictures of my models :P

So, i collect Space Marines - Blood Angels to be specific so i want a change. I enjoyed painting up some AoBR nobs a while back for fun...just dry brushing, nothing special. I love the ork models so i'm thinking i could enter a small mob in the 40K squad catagory. On my recent trip to Warhammer world we see this model:

Stunning! So i'm sold on entering Orks for the competition. So what kind of things do i need to think about? Scenic bases? Poses? Squad composition? Do i use NMM or metallics? I dont really know. I'm envisioning at the moment a mob of boyz charging across a blasted landscape all shouting "'Ere we go! 'Ere we go! 'Ere we go!"

Cheers! :jaw:

Look through older enries that placed online, look for composition, techniques and also the bases. Make the face stand out and be obviously the focal point (my mistake last year!) and be neat as possible, whilst making sure that all the bits that need to pop do so without detracting from the overall model. Look t some of Thomas Schadle's models - I still love his "Phantom of the Opera" tank with the organ and Slaanesh champion with half-mask...

But eah, post somemodels here, and the real experts can give you pointers

Honestly? The best advice I can give you is to practice practice practice. No amount of articles or how-to guides will ever get you anywhere unless you take what you know, and put it to work model after model. And never settle for mediocrity. Never think "I've reached to the best of my ability, there's nowhere else to go." Never settle for "good enough". Always push yourself that extra step, no matter how hard it is. Because if you take enough steps, you'll have walked miles.

DV8

Since the B&C is a PA based forum, i will have to suggest that a lot of the discussion stay more of a generalised nature. Although the orks will ultimately be the final result, the general discussion is still useful to those who are possibly thinking of entering the GD and at bare minimum, any painting advice is always fruitful to all.

Since the B&C is a PA based forum, i will have to suggest that a lot of the discussion stay more of a generalised nature. Although the orks will ultimately be the final result, the general discussion is still useful to those who are possibly thinking of entering the GD and at bare minimum, any painting advice is always fruitful to all.

Yeah, i just realised that after i posted so general tips would be appreiated. I'll post some pics up after dinner. I have few models though that i've really spent any time on. That'll have to change though. All advice and criticism is greatly appreciated though!

show us those Blood Angels...

that's a good place to start...

you will end up with a lot of conflicting advice, as most people speak from their perspective...

we all have different approaches to painting, and different strengths and weaknesses, different likes and dislikes...

my best advice would be to paint to your strengths for your first attempts...

don't worry about the latest hot trend...

experimentation is good in your spare time, but for competition it's better to do what you know you can pull off well...

even those of us with a very specific style can always improve our technique...

best of luck...

cheers

jah

OK, here's some pics.....two of my best models to date. The termie i worked really hard on....i hope it shows. I worked out the armour mid way through painting the bottom half so the top half looks better than the bottom IMO. The black reach sgt started as a table top piece that i went to town on to practise techniques. I suck at faces and was trying to make him look aged. I was happy with the blending on the front cloth bit though. Pretty good for me!

(sorry mods, i promise to post only power armour from now on :D . Still a bit of a noob here...)

Slightly converted AoBR termie:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/spwicks1980/ba2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/spwicks1980/ba1.jpg

and here's the tactical sgt:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/spwicks1980/ba3.jpg

and here's my first assault squad that i've painted as a decent table top standard (hopefully)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/spwicks1980/assaultsquad.jpg

whilst they're great models and brilliantly painted i would suggest more depth.... work with a neutral light source to begin with.... then add depth with alot of blending and layers... GD entrants often have upwards of 5 layers even on flat power armour to emphasise whatever the special nature of the model is... also when layering remember no coulour change is too small.... and whilst dry brushing is great for tabletop minatures use it VERY sparingly on any display model as it's a very difficult approach to control.... finally if your only aiming to get first cut, as mentioned before an interesting composition is if anything even more important than the painting though dont get me wrong it still has to be flawless

Cheers for the reply! My entrant will be...shall we say non power armoured but yes, i am working on the blending. I'm currently having trouble when applying thinned layers. I tend to get a consistent layer until suddenly a lump of colour appears from nowhere. I'm wondering whether my paint is thin enough or whether i'm letting the paint dry too quickly on the brush....

BTW, no drybrushing was used on those models with the exception of the bases :lol: I dont tend to use it on mini's too much anymore. It has its place but no on power armour IMO.

I know just read in your OP that you'd drybrushed your orks.... with the blending it sounds like one of two things most likely as you say its paint drying in a clump somewhere on your brush or the possibility that when your using thin layers you havent thinned it uniformally.

Ah ok, sorry. Chers for the advice though. I think i just need to work on it some. I have done some niceish blending when trying NMM but i just havent got it down properly yet. Small areas take a great deal of control to get right

Archived