Where's the Captain?

Brother Grimm

As long as your opponent is ok with it, and I don't see why they wouldn't be as long as they're aware, you could just make a Captain with a Chaplain's/Reclusiarch's wargear/stats/rules. You won't have the same variety of wargear options, but a Crozius Arcanum is no different from a PW, so for example a "Captain with power sword and bolt pistol" could count as a Chaplain. Fluff-wise, the fearless rule could come from the Captain being a Hero of the Chapter, inspiring his squad to extreme bravery. The re-rolls to hit could be from the Captain's vigour, driving his squad forward with the ferocity of Sanguinius himself. That way you can include a cool Captain mini in your army!

I think I might do this, actually...

As long as your opponent is ok with it, and I don't see why they wouldn't be as long as they're aware, you could just make a Captain with a Chaplain's/Reclusiarch's wargear/stats/rules. You won't have the same variety of wargear options, but a Crozius Arcanum is no different from a PW, so for example a "Captain with power sword and bolt pistol" could count as a Chaplain. Fluff-wise, the fearless rule could come from the Captain being a Hero of the Chapter, inspiring his squad to extreme bravery. The re-rolls to hit could be from the Captain's vigour, driving his squad forward with the ferocity of Sanguinius himself. That way you can include a cool Captain mini in your army!

I think I might do this, actually...

I made a captain model that uses Astorath the Grim's rules. He's actually my Angels Vermillion Chapter Master.

I'm never gonna use a captain unless its for a fun/fluff list. Same goes for dante. He really isn't that good for his points (S4 and no eternal warrior). How often are you gonna field a sanguinary guard army?

Tycho is actually usable, At least he got rites of battle. Even he is still expensive for what he does though.

I favour the librarian for now. Can never go wrong with psychic defense.

Much in line with previous replies, my views on the lack of appeal for taking a captain are because of the opportunity costs comparing one with other HQ options available. As people have said, the captain doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of army/unit buffs and utility the way a Reclusiarch or Librarian does. A captain can't alter army composition the way a codex one can either. About the only thing the captain has going for it is the statline - it's a solid IC that should perform well in close combat.

For that matter, there doesn't appear to be a way to really tool up a captain to be a juggernaut a la Codex: Space Wolves or even as scary as vanilla ones. If you really want a close combat monster, it seems you pretty much need to go with one of the special characters *cough* Mephiston *cough*.

At the end of the day, I feel it's not that the captain is a bad choice but that it's overshadowed by other available options.

Archived