Blood Angel Captains

bloodseeker36

So ive been around in the forums but not as much lately due to school. However, with loads of time soon to come this summer I have been planning on creating all the captains and chain of command as mapped out in the Codex. Is there any indication of what each of the Company's captain is equiped with or how each look? If not, i was planning on purchasing some sanguinary guard models to make them all. This idea is purely from a collector's point of view seeing as i enjoy the hobby more than actual gameplay, but who knows...soon enough I'll be playing more.

Bloodseeker36

but this is purely fluff based...I was thinking of the first company captain in Terminator armor as well. but the rest of the captains? how about the Sanguinary leader? just wondering how to build my captains this summer.

I would assume the head of the Sanguinary Guard is armed with angelus bolter and glaive encarmine.

As for the other captains, I don't think we know anything about their armaments, other than Tycho.

So in other words...I am free to build my 10 company captains as i so choose? My aspirations are to eventually have a full Blood Angel chapter (highly unlikely, but I'll continue with this dream) with each character in the BA Codex modeled excluding some equerries, servitors, and neophytes. Im still unsure of including all of the scouts considering I would hardly use them in the event that I have a game, but scouts would make my 10th squad. Not to mention a large force of Death Company and their vehicals in proper color schemes.

bloodseeker36

With the new codex I thought GW decided we didnt need captains anymore :devil:

Fluff-wise I would think that most Captains would arm themselves as dictated by the mission, unless they have some special relic armament they always carry.

I could see Tactical Captains (2-5th) arming with power weapons or power fists, plus at least one ranged weapon capable of firing bolter range.

Assault captains (6,7)would surely have pure assault dedicated armament i.e. pistols and power weapon, lightning claws, or Hammer/shield. Or a Glaive or something I guess.

The Devastator Captains (8,9) might have siege gear, or combi weapons.

Scout Captain is a wildcard, as is the 1st Captain, since they could be called to perform varying tasks in their company (term armor OR jump pack for 1st...)

Basically if you are just making cool models to lead a full chapter, you have free reign over what you arm them with, as theres no pre existing fluff telling you otherwise.

Have fun, but out of all the HQs in the new codex, Captains have the least worth by far on the table. So make sure they look twice as cool to justify using them.

Note to slim pickens.

The 6th and 7th company are tactical reserve companies. The 8th is the assault company and the 9th is for the devastators. I think you are confusing this with the squad lay-out.

As for the armaments of captains. They have access to the armory for everything they need, and a personal selection of weapons. So all options are open really. Offcourse it would be fitting to get the first captain some terminator armor and the 8th a jumppack.

People keep mentioning that the captain of the 1st should be in Terminator armor, and that is probably fitting, but the 1st company is simply veterans who have access to terminator armor. They don't wear it all the time. It's also where the Vanguard and Sternguard come from.

Archived