20 Nob Bikers

foster

Not to mention that ordnance barrage wouldn't ignore a cover save from Turbo Boosting... which is probably what Nob Bikers will have.

Not turbo boosting,the Nob bikers have a Ork Specific rule that is basically a Cloud of Dust...gives a 4+ cover save. Thanks for clearing that up Morticon, I allways seem to get those confused. Still haven't completely recovered from going from 3rd to 5th lol.

So yeah,with that being pointed out,a HTH unit is probably the best option. Ideally one that will survive the fight at least till most if not all of the nobs are wiped out. Given the point cost of that set up,sending two Talon Dreads at the problem wouldn't be that bad of a investment.

Oh,and another thing to further refute the statement that the talon dread would kill less. You do remember that Blood talons count as Lightning claws,thus getting the option to reroll to wound. And if they wound with the reroll,they get another roll to hit. So on and so on and so on.

even if ordenance barrage works that way you dont negate their cover save as a special rule provides it. if it was granted by terrain, fair enough.

and about combat with these guys. plenty of things that can kill them, but they can kill most things in return as well...specially if they all carry powerklaws :lol:

even the furioso has AV 13, they have S8 (9 on the charge) and the warboss has S10, not something you want in h2h....

do close combat only as a last result imho!

even if ordenance barrage works that way you dont negate their cover save as a special rule provides it. if it was granted by terrain, fair enough.

and about combat with these guys. plenty of things that can kill them, but they can kill most things in return as well...specially if they all carry powerklaws :P

even the furioso has AV 13, they have S8 (9 on the charge) and the warboss has S10, not something you want in h2h....

do close combat only as a last result imho!

Which means they need to roll a 6 to pen,if your Dread has Extra armor then chances are good your going to be ok. If you send more then 1 dread in at a time,you are doing even better. Not to mention that your Dreads will be doing their attacks first. And in the instance of even 10 of them with all powerklaws,would equal a 700 point investment. So even if you sent two talon dreads and both died...chances are very very good you could make your points back and then some. Thats assuming you wouldn't finish them all off.

Hit on 3+ with rerolls on misses,wound on 2+. Now I will admit I didn't remember the 2 wounds that each nob has. So yes Mephiston would kill more in the very first round,but would suffer 15 Power fist attacks,which would stand a very good shot at killing him. half the attacks would hit,and 5/6 would wound. Dead Mephiston. Now they would have 18 attacks,and half of their attacks hit with the dread as well...but only 2 in 6 would effect the dread at all. Would end up as 2 glance 1 pen if averages held. Now...4 results in 6 would do nothing on the glance,and 2 in 6 would do nothing on the pen.

Now chances are good that at least one Dread will survive to fight again if not both. so another round of hit on 3+ with rerolls,wound on 3+ so without furious charge it gets a little bit harder,but still easily doable. And this is happening during the Ork's turn so not only is the nob unit not attacking anyone else,but your dreads aren't getting shot.

I think its pretty clear that the two talon dreads would outdo Mephiston in dealing with this rather specialized situation.

Out deathstar em! That'll teach him not to mess with Blood Angels! :lol:

6 Assault Termis w/LC

Sanguinary Priest w/PW

Epistolary w/Unleash Rage and Sanguine Sword

Land Raider Crusader

1. Get the charge

2. Cast both powers as you assault

3. Epistolary gets 4 attacks on the charge, ~3 to 4 hits (WS5, re-roll to hit), ~3 wounds (S10), ~3 dead nob bikers (instakill due to S10)

4. Termis gets 24 attacks on the charge, ~18 hits (WS4, re-roll to hit), ~16 wounds (S5, re-roll to wound), ~7 dead nob bikers

5. Sanguinary Priest gets 4 attacks on the charge, ~3 to 4 hits (WS5, re-roll to hit), ~2 wounds (S5), ~1 dead nob biker

So on average, that amounts to.... 11 dead nob bikers before they can strike back! :lol:

nob bikers can take an 5+ invunerable save IIRC. although it would make them EVEN MORE expensive it would also present a great deal of trouble that they can bring :)

and yes Requiem of the Wolf they would need 6's to pen, but dont take that as a safety measure....i renember the times ive said that and ive seen people roll a streak of 6's ;) but that can be said of every other unit i guess ;)

talon dreads seem like the way to go indeed (if he want to kill them in h2h) but it would have to fit in the them of the OP's army tbh...

also renember that while orks have BS 2 they can still kill your armour at range (specialy with deffkoptas) so always try to make sure that your opponent wont be able to take them out before they hit combat!

Cybork Bodies, Boss Pole and at least 2 Klaws, Painboy and a Warboss is pretty much standard for every Nob Biker unit

The example used was ALL Klaws. which pretty made me believe that they wouldn't have much else,or otherwise all the points in the army would be stuck in one unit. And I wasn't taking that as a safety measure so much as to indicate 'on average' how much trouble they would have busting the dreads.

After all,I have seen a single rhino get hit by 7 lascannons in one turn,suffer one weapon destroyed and 6 shaken results. Said Rhino then proceeded to tank shock a squad off an objective to contest it and thereby win me the game. The string of comments made about that rhino could not be repeated,as it would likely cause the entire forum to catch fire. Needless to say he wasn't amused. So definitely random chance plays into things,I just use it as a example to get a general idea.

Even 3 power klaws in a unit with 5++ saves would be enough to drag the dreadnought down. And to be fair, the idea that a Dreadnought is going to somehow get the charge on a unit of Bikers is a bit daft as well. An Ork general would have to be a complete buffoon to charge his 500pt deathstar unit into the 150pt suicide screen sacrificial unit with the Dreadnought waiting behind them.

The only way to realistically deal with Ork Nob Bikers are TH/SS Termies in a Raider or multiple Vindicators

Even 3 power klaws in a unit with 5++ saves would be enough to drag the dreadnought down. And to be fair, the idea that a Dreadnought is going to somehow get the charge on a unit of Bikers is a bit daft as well. An Ork general would have to be a complete buffoon to charge his 500pt deathstar unit into the 150pt suicide screen sacrificial unit with the Dreadnought waiting behind them.

The only way to realistically deal with Ork Nob Bikers are TH/SS Termies in a Raider or multiple Vindicators

We should probably lay out all of the capabilities of the Nob Bikers, so that the folks that are less familiar with them know better what they have and can do. That should facilitate the discussion of what to do about them.

1. First, they are Bikers, so they've got great speed/mobility, a great 18" threat range for assaults, and will generally get to chose where they want to strike. The problem with gearing up a special "Death Star" unit of the Blood Angels to go after them is that your unit will not have their speed, and the Ork player can generally avoid it and fight a close combat when and where he chooses. Bikers can easily outrun/outmaneuver a Land Raider Crusader with your Assault Terminators onboard.

2. They are survivable - From the Bikes they get both a 4+ Cover Save and 4+ Armour Save. Adding a Painboy (a no-brainer move) will add a 5+ Invulnerable Save as well as Feel No Pain; a Grot Orderly will allow a reroll of one of those failed FNP rolls. Additionally, they all have two Wounds and Toughness of 5 (still base 4 for Instant Death), and will equip every single Nob Biker slightly differently so as to allow maximum exploitation of the wound allocation system - thereby keeping each Nob alive longer than would otherwise be possible.

3. They hit hard in an assault - The assault will be immediately preceeded by twin-linked Dakka Guns on the Bike, and probably with a few Combi-Burnas, too. When they do assault they will have Furious Charge, which means 4 each Strength 5 hits at Initiative 4 for the basic Choppa armed model (of which their will probably be a few, due to his wanting to equip differently for wound allocation). The Big Choppa armed models will get 3 each Strength 7 hits at Initiative 4; and of course the several Power Klaw models will go last, but will have 3 each Strength 9 hits. They'll have a Waagh! Banna, which means they'll all have Weapon Skill 5, meaning they'll hit most of your models with 3+ rolls.

My Ork army has a modest Nob Biker pack of 6 models at 421 points, so I'd guess that his two Mobs of 10 each would run almost 1300 points, not including a Warboss Biker or two that might be attached to each of his Mobs.

Mephiston could probably catch them with use of Wings, and would probably kill a few before dying in return.

Valerian

We should probably lay out all of the capabilities of the Nob Bikers, so that the folks that are less familiar with them know better what they have and can do. That should facilitate the discussion of what to do about them.

1. First, they are Bikers, so they've got great speed/mobility, a great 18" threat range for assaults, and will generally get to chose where they want to strike. The problem with gearing up a special "Death Star" unit of the Blood Angels to go after them is that your unit will not have their speed, and the Ork player can generally avoid it and fight a close combat when and where he chooses. Bikers can easily outrun/outmaneuver a Land Raider Crusader with your Assault Terminators onboard.

2. They are survivable - From the Bikes they get both a 4+ Cover Save and 4+ Armour Save. Adding a Painboy (a no-brainer move) will add a 5+ Invulnerable Save as well as Feel No Pain; a Grot Orderly will allow a reroll of one of those failed FNP rolls. Additionally, they all have two Wounds and Toughness of 5 (still base 4 for Instant Death), and will equip every single Nob Biker slightly differently so as to allow maximum exploitation of the wound allocation system - thereby keeping each Nob alive longer than would otherwise be possible.

3. They hit hard in an assault - The assault will be immediately preceeded by twin-linked Dakka Guns on the Bike, and probably with a few Combi-Burnas, too. When they do assault they will have Furious Charge, which means 4 each Strength 5 hits at Initiative 4 for the basic Choppa armed model (of which their will probably be a few, due to his wanting to equip differently for wound allocation). The Big Choppa armed models will get 3 each Strength 7 hits at Initiative 4; and of course the several Power Klaw models will go last, but will have 3 each Strength 9 hits. They'll have a Waagh! Banna, which means they'll all have Weapon Skill 5, meaning they'll hit most of your models with 3+ rolls.

My Ork army has a modest Nob Biker pack of 6 models at 421 points, so I'd guess that his two Mobs of 10 each would run almost 1300 points, not including a Warboss Biker or two that might be attached to each of his Mobs.

Mephiston could probably catch them with use of Wings, and would probably kill a few before dying in return.

Valerian

Aren't the Furioso Dreadnaughts fleet? If not I have a Blood Angel player that has finally done enough 'rules forgetting' while still claiming to be a very experienced player,that im gonna metaphorically kick him in the balls. And if so,they have a 13-18 inch assault range as well.

Aren't the Furioso Dreadnaughts fleet? If not I have a Blood Angel player that has finally done enough 'rules forgetting' while still claiming to be a very experienced player,that im gonna metaphorically kick him in the balls.

Start kicking: only Death Company Dreadnoughts get Fleet, not Furiosos.

V

Mephiston and a Talon dread.

Gotta agree with Morticon on this one. One or Two Furioso Dreads with Blood Talons will make mincemeat of those Nobs. Mephy actually wouldn't do that much good. It would be nice to send him after the warboss if there was one attached,otherwise I would keep him out of a meat grinder like that. Oh who am I kidding...I love hearing about Mephiston getting chewed to bits...Send him in solo...Preferably with one hand tied behind his back...he is a badass he can take it *shifty look*

Mephy wouldnt do that much? Hmm SW players are funny

Lets see, each nob totals up 80 points with claw bike and combi and lets see how meph goes.

hmmmm sanguine sword + unleash rage = 5 dead! so he kills 400 points in a single round certainly sounds like not much to me, thats the same as jaws if somehow you managed to hit every nob biker in a nice perfect line. haha

Talon dread, presuming the nobs have a wahhh banner which is normal the standard is better than the DC as it still hits on three's. Lets say theres a sang priest near by for FC and that somehow the dread manages to charge the nob bikers, lol. 4 attacks = 2.666 hits which is pretty much 2.5 wounds. Next 2.5 x .666 = 1.666 which is another 1.5 wounds then 1.5 x .66 = 1 wound then 1 wound = another .666 of a wound which is then another .444 of a wound, and by the way the mean of the dreads attacks wont actually kill as many as this example suggests but for arguements sake you end up with this. 6 wounds to dread killing 3, Meph kills 5.

So yes dread is amazingly effective and Meph is somewhat not, awesome post, I'll be sure to ignore you more often. Sorry mind the sarcasm.

And Mephiston dies in the counter attack,while the Dread more then likely doesn't and continues killing the nobs the next round. So yeah...losing a 250+ point character to kill 5 nobs,or using a Dread to kill all of them. So yeah...by all means throw away those points instead of playing smart. Great idea. And I have yet to see a Talon Dread perform as poorly as you are suggesting. Now if wasting those points seems like a good idea to you...by all means...go for it.

Frankly no one really cares what you've seen. The math shows that weather or not Meph dies in combat to counter, he still more than makes up his points back and that the dread will perform exactly on average how I said it will according to math. So whatever your personal opinion regarding how you think the dice rolls will play out or what your eyes have whitnessed is irrelivant, I mean Ive seen aliens land so clearly it happens all the time.

Meph will die to counter assault but dread wont? Well seeing as a dread will get charged by nob bikers and Meph wont cause hes faster lets see who dies easier. 4+ to hit meph 2+ to wound need 5 wounds and the nobs have 3 attacks each so.. 50% to hit 42% to wound and then you need that to equal 500% for 5 wounds meaning you need 12 attacks which in this 'average' example means 4 nobs. To kill the dread 4+ to hit 5+ to pen 5+ to kill. 50% to hit 17% pen roughly 6% kill. Times 16 for for nobs on charge = 96% + the weapon destoryed and imobalized ratio killing the dread brings it to 104%. So about the same on average so really your wrong, the dread is no more surviveable. Also if meph is left on 1 wound he will still perform 100%, if dread gets a weapon destroyed or immobilized and doesnt die it wont perform as well next round. To further this scenario, Meph kills 5 orks first that dread kills 3 on charge 2 off charge. So seeing as the dread wont charge it'll kill 2. It requires 4 nobs to kill both meph and dread which means in order for meph to die to counter assault there would have to be 9 nobs on average, in order for dread to die there would only have to be 6 on average. Meph made his points up +150 dread didnt make his points up. Also if the orks have a 5+ invul it gets much worse for the dreads.

On a side note. Presuming in any of these scenarios either meph or the dread survives, which one do you think is more likely to make the nobs break and run them down? Ill give you a hint, one of them does it 7 times more than the other, can you guess?

I'll take my good idea and 'waste' those points everytime thanks. PS i wasnt saying that the dread wouldnt be good just that meph was much better. Please next time do the math yourself so that I don't have to, because I dont want fellow BA players running their furioso dreads into nob bikers expecting them to do better than Meph.

I favor sitting back and pumping Str 8+ weapons at them... my wife runs lots of Nobz with various equipment and the best way to get around the "wound" game is to just kill them outright... I favor Devastor Squads with Missile Launchers shooting krak shots with Vindicators. If she tries to charge me I make sure I have a hard hitting unit waiting to counter charge (DC w/chaplain, Termies with Libby etc, Mephiston, Sanguinary Guard/Honor guard with Chapter Banner etc)

Its worked so far for me

Personally, I just never get out of my vehicles and move 12" every turn whilst killing the boys with Rokkits with 8 Assault Cannon shots a turn and evading the Bikerz whilst dropping Vindicator pie plates on their heads and throwing Lascannon shots at them.

Mephiston and a Talon dread.

Gotta agree with Morticon on this one. One or Two Furioso Dreads with Blood Talons will make mincemeat of those Nobs. Mephy actually wouldn't do that much good. It would be nice to send him after the warboss if there was one attached,otherwise I would keep him out of a meat grinder like that. Oh who am I kidding...I love hearing about Mephiston getting chewed to bits...Send him in solo...Preferably with one hand tied behind his back...he is a badass he can take it *shifty look*

Mephy wouldnt do that much? Hmm SW players are funny

Lets see, each nob totals up 80 points with claw bike and combi and lets see how meph goes.

hmmmm sanguine sword + unleash rage = 5 dead! so he kills 400 points in a single round certainly sounds like not much to me, thats the same as jaws if somehow you managed to hit every nob biker in a nice perfect line. haha

Talon dread, presuming the nobs have a wahhh banner which is normal the standard is better than the DC as it still hits on three's. Lets say theres a sang priest near by for FC and that somehow the dread manages to charge the nob bikers, lol. 4 attacks = 2.666 hits which is pretty much 2.5 wounds. Next 2.5 x .666 = 1.666 which is another 1.5 wounds then 1.5 x .66 = 1 wound then 1 wound = another .666 of a wound which is then another .444 of a wound, and by the way the mean of the dreads attacks wont actually kill as many as this example suggests but for arguements sake you end up with this. 6 wounds to dread killing 3, Meph kills 5.

So yes dread is amazingly effective and Meph is somewhat not, awesome post, I'll be sure to ignore you more often. Sorry mind the sarcasm.

And Mephiston dies in the counter attack,while the Dread more then likely doesn't and continues killing the nobs the next round. So yeah...losing a 250+ point character to kill 5 nobs,or using a Dread to kill all of them. So yeah...by all means throw away those points instead of playing smart. Great idea. And I have yet to see a Talon Dread perform as poorly as you are suggesting. Now if wasting those points seems like a good idea to you...by all means...go for it.

Frankly no one really cares what you've seen. The math shows that weather or not Meph dies in combat to counter, he still more than makes up his points back and that the dread will perform exactly on average how I said it will according to math. So whatever your personal opinion regarding how you think the dice rolls will play out or what your eyes have whitnessed is irrelivant, I mean Ive seen aliens land so clearly it happens all the time.

Meph will die to counter assault but dread wont? Well seeing as a dread will get charged by nob bikers and Meph wont cause hes faster lets see who dies easier. 4+ to hit meph 2+ to wound need 5 wounds and the nobs have 3 attacks each so.. 50% to hit 42% to wound and then you need that to equal 500% for 5 wounds meaning you need 12 attacks which in this 'average' example means 4 nobs. To kill the dread 4+ to hit 5+ to pen 5+ to kill. 50% to hit 17% pen roughly 6% kill. Times 16 for for nobs on charge = 96% + the weapon destoryed and imobalized ratio killing the dread brings it to 104%. So about the same on average so really your wrong, the dread is no more surviveable. Also if meph is left on 1 wound he will still perform 100%, if dread gets a weapon destroyed or immobilized and doesnt die it wont perform as well next round. To further this scenario, Meph kills 5 orks first that dread kills 3 on charge 2 off charge. So seeing as the dread wont charge it'll kill 2. It requires 4 nobs to kill both meph and dread which means in order for meph to die to counter assault there would have to be 9 nobs on average, in order for dread to die there would only have to be 6 on average. Meph made his points up +150 dread didnt make his points up. Also if the orks have a 5+ invul it gets much worse for the dreads.

On a side note. Presuming in any of these scenarios either meph or the dread survives, which one do you think is more likely to make the nobs break and run them down? Ill give you a hint, one of them does it 7 times more than the other, can you guess?

I'll take my good idea and 'waste' those points everytime thanks. PS i wasnt saying that the dread wouldnt be good just that meph was much better. Please next time do the math yourself so that I don't have to, because I dont want fellow BA players running their furioso dreads into nob bikers expecting them to do better than Meph.

Well if you had caught up with the conversation,you would have noticed that after the first round of comments,I said that it would take two Talon Dreads..so about the same price as Mephiston. The not performing that well was due to the original person's examples not counting the ability of the dreadnaught to reroll to hit due to using Lightning claw equivalents,and being able to make further attacks on successful wounds. And as for doing the math myself..in later posts,after getting further information I did. So please...Read all of a thread before you decide to jump on someone in future K?

My proposal that Talon Dreads would be more useful then Mephiston,was based partially on my experiences playing against a Blood Angel player that has been cheating me regularly and ensuring his Dreads got into combat far quicker then they should have. Now..I maintain that two Talon Dreads,equivalent to the price of Mephiston,would make a decent alternative. Some factors I failed to work in,based further on said Blood Angel player screwing me over,was that unlike every other close combat dread,the Furioso dread doesn't have the strength to insta-kill T5 models. That being said,Yes..Mephiston would be a better option then a single dread...also twice as expensive.

So my apologies to anyone that might take my earlier posts as fact as I was repeatedly lied to. The Blood Talon dreads are not as devastatingly powerful as I was led to believe..And there is a Blood Angel player that is going to have trouble walking and seeing straight.

I'm kind of curious - where does this 're-roll to hit' come from? Because last time I checked, LC's only gave a re-roll to wound. Unless you've got Wolf Claws which can choose re-rolling to hit or to wound. Which we dont get.

Please note that a DC dread IS also a furioso dread (same equipment anyways), so your opponent may have been right (just benefit of the doubt - you'd have to check exactly what his list says).

Well if you had caught up with the conversation,you would have noticed that after the first round of comments,I said that it would take two Talon Dreads..so about the same price as Mephiston. The not performing that well was due to the original person's examples not counting the ability of the dreadnaught to reroll to hit due to using Lightning claw equivalents,and being able to make further attacks on successful wounds. And as for doing the math myself..in later posts,after getting further information I did. So please...Read all of a thread before you decide to jump on someone in future K?

My proposal that Talon Dreads would be more useful then Mephiston,was based partially on my experiences playing against a Blood Angel player that has been cheating me regularly and ensuring his Dreads got into combat far quicker then they should have. Now..I maintain that two Talon Dreads,equivalent to the price of Mephiston,would make a decent alternative. Some factors I failed to work in,based further on said Blood Angel player screwing me over,was that unlike every other close combat dread,the Furioso dread doesn't have the strength to insta-kill T5 models. That being said,Yes..Mephiston would be a better option then a single dread...also twice as expensive.

So my apologies to anyone that might take my earlier posts as fact as I was repeatedly lied to. The Blood Talon dreads are not as devastatingly powerful as I was led to believe..And there is a Blood Angel player that is going to have trouble walking and seeing straight.

Remember BA dreads only reroll wounds with talons not hits, (god i wish it were hits) I dont know if thats a typo or if that guy has been cheating you again. It sounds like this guy needs a good dread socking as it seems that he has absolutely been cheating rather than miss interperating the rules.

However, if you say that 2 talon dreads would be as effective I would agree, I didnt read that anywhere that I could see but none the less If that was your point than I stand corrected, if not then I just agree with you on this point.

Someone made a point about a mech list moving 12" every turn and just shooting them which would also work very very well with them only hitting you on 6's. Then once they are week get out rapid fire them and charge with the assault units. Not a half bad idea at all!

Please note that a DC dread IS also a furioso dread (same equipment anyways), so your opponent may have been right (just benefit of the doubt - you'd have to check exactly what his list says).

a DC dread is NOT a furioso.

furi = ws6, a 2(3) front armor 13

DC dread = ws5, a 3(4) front armor 12, FLEET, already has extra armor (or its anger equivalent) included

very different means of putting them in your list, similar table uses if the furi has talons, but frag cannons are not to be discounted outright.

Well...I come from using Wolf Claws,So that must be why I thought it was ok for him to reroll hits and wounds,But now it seems that it was one more thing he screwed me on. Ok...Just to make sure I havent missed any MORE things he shouldn't be able to do. Meph has 3 powers a round. He can make himself S10. If he fields 30 Death company,he can field 6 Death Company Dreads. Now I know that he cant Reroll Hits,but he is allowed to reroll wounds with Blood Talons. He does get to keep rolling new attacks every time he inflicts an unsaved wound when he has two Blood Talons. Only Death Company Dreads are Fleet (as far as their Dreads go) Even though Mephiston has psychic powers,he is not a Psyker and thus is not affected by anti-psyker specific Powers. A Priest's 6 inch bubble gives the Feel no Pain and Furious Charge to whoever was within 6 inches at the start of the phase for the duration of that phase.

If he fields 30 Death company,he can field 6 Death Company Dreads.

No, only 5 DC Dreads (one for each slot after DC)

Even though Mephiston has psychic powers,he is not a Psyker and thus is not affected by anti-psyker specific Powers.

That, I didn't know...

Archived