What would you do?

Has anybody worked out the best option?

If you do 2x 5 man squads you have access to 2 PW and 2 Special Weapons

If you do 1 10 man squad you have access to 1 PW and still the 2 Special Weapons.

Do people think it would be better fielding 1 big squad or 2 smaller ones?

My thoughts are that 2 smaller squads are better.. you risk the extra kill points but considering how often kill points games are played, it's an acceptable risk.

I want assault squads that can last some time in combat and do damage. So I run 2 10 man squads.

I'd only do 5 man squads as the majority if I was swarming squads (5-6 small squads in razorbacks).

Okay well here is my opinion...

1 - 10man squad 1 Power Weapon 2 special weapons 7 wounds to protect those 3 items.

2 - 5man squads 2 power weapons 2 special weapons only 3 wounds to protect those investments.

I honestly can't see the 5man squads doing that well unless they are in razorbacks (And lots of them 4-6 razorbacks) mind you I play mostly orks and if I could field 20man Assault squads sometimes I think I would :blink:

James is on the money there. 10 with packs or 5 in a Razorback.

Of course if you are intent on 2 smaller squads there is always combat squadding. Lose the PW on 1 squad but don't risk a kill point i.e don't split them in annihilation missions

In my experience smaller squads are indeed more flexible and easier to use but they are also far easier to kill from just a little shooting or a close combat from any decent size squad. I prefer larger squads for the extra staying power and usually no matter how bad you role quantity of dice makes up for it.

Okay well here is my opinion...

1 - 10man squad 1 Power Weapon 2 special weapons 7 wounds to protect those 3 items.

2 - 5man squads 2 power weapons 2 special weapons only 3 wounds to protect those investments.

I honestly hadn't considered the wounds involved in protecting the investments.

You would have 2 wounds to protect them. 1 wound for the Sarge, 2 for Special Weapons and 2 for normal assault marines.

For 5-mans, I'd definately take a RB instead of jump packs, so there's some backup firepower right there for a discount. You can always include a Sanguinary Priest in there too, if you keep your units close together they can both get the benefits from one priest, and if you wanna upgrade you can have another PW.

In my 2000pts list I have both

3 5x RAS in RB (2 AssCan + 1 H. Flamer)

1 10x RAS in JP...

A quick remark here, a theory just explained by Morticon in my list thread is that...for small squads you prefer to take PW, and biger squads you put PF...reason being that with a 10 men squad you can hide your PF better and you might lost your PW caused wounds due to the sheer volume...with small squads you might not have the chance to use the PF as you might be slain before it depending on the enemy of course....this is a rule of thumb that made a lot of sense for me but it's not the ultimate truth.

I agree with Ultramarc PF in 10 man's and PW in 5's (preferably 5's in Razors as well).

I've recently been running two 5 man's in razor's and two 10 man jumpers. I sometimes combat squad the jumpers into a tank buster unit (2x melta and 3 marines) and a field hopper unit (srg w/ fist and sang priest w/ PW). Field hoppers follow the razors for cover and tank busters DoA to pop armor. Recently though I've had a rash of really bad reserve rolls, bringing in all my reserves on turn 2 where they have little to nothing to threaten. The perils of deepstriking I suppose. The beauty of combat squading for me so far has been that it seperates my opponents attention if they focus on my troops my tank hunters have a better chance of surviving in their back lines, and if they focus more on the tank hunters my troops have a better chance of moving speedily across the board.

I've also found that I like having 30 scoring bodies on the table (2 in fast transports, assuming they survive). It does eat up a lot of points however (around 980 or so all decked out w/ priests). Since I normally play 1850 games thats a pretty substantial chunk, but not too unreasonable in my opinion. I'm probably going to drop EA from my Razors from now on though as it seems in every game I play if they get hit they are blowing up period.

I got a question are you talking about assault troops with JPs? Because the rule states that jump infantry cannot ever be put in a transport. Or are you simply referring to 5 man tac squads in razorbacks?

I got a question are you talking about assault troops with JPs? Because the rule states that jump infantry cannot ever be put in a transport. Or are you simply referring to 5 man tac squads in razorbacks?

Probably a 5man Assault Squad removing their backpacks and buying a Razorback as transport.

I want assault squads that can last some time in combat and do damage. So I run 2 10 man squads.

I'd only do 5 man squads as the majority if I was swarming squads (5-6 small squads in razorbacks).

I'm totally with James here.

Archived