Cutting Foam

I have just acquired two really nice equipment cases I'll be using to store and transport my Black Templars. The only problem I have is that I want to cut the foam to store my units and vehicles, but I don't want it to be all uneven and look like I used my teeth. What's the best tool/approach to use when cutting new foam?

I use one of those extendable craft blades with the snap-off sections. Cutting foam dulls a balde very quickly, so you'll want to be constantly changing the blade.

However, unless your foam is very thin (1/2" or so), it's going to come out uneven if you're cutting individual pockets into a big block. it's just a fact of life. Unless you're using a machine-guided toolt o cut, it won't be perfect. I wouldn't get too hung up on it though. No one examines the foam in your carry cases for neatness, and judges you based on that. ^_^

Is it like the GW cases with sponge foam sheets or foam blocks like Army Transport stuff?

It's a spongy type of foam. Firmer than mattress foam, but still soft enough to bend in half.

Depnding on the thickness, a bread knife works really well for the thicker pieces of foam. If you are careful it will leave a very clean cut. Electric carving knives work really well too (I used to work at a surplus hardware store and this is what we used to cut the sheets of foam we sold to size and shape). Just make sure you do not use you mothers good one, it may be worth finding your own at a second hand store or something.

Depnding on the thickness, a bread knife works really well for the thicker pieces of foam. If you are careful it will leave a very clean cut. Electric carving knives work really well too (I used to work at a surplus hardware store and this is what we used to cut the sheets of foam we sold to size and shape). Just make sure you do not use you mothers good one, it may be worth finding your own at a second hand store or something.

I own one of these for just that reason. I found it at Goodwill for $3.

I recently used it to cut some blocks of old couch foam into shape for a pistolc ase I use for my tanks. It was great at cutting the thick, dense foam into the rough case shape, but it wasn't any good at cutting the storage compartments.

Archived