Painting Help - What colour wash to use to give depth

Hi

This is my first post on B & C, I would like to say it is an swesome place for resources!

I have just got back into Warhammer 40K after a 12 year absence.

I picked up a Space Marine Battalion, Codex and the how to paint space marine book.

I have chosen my colour scheme and chapter name - Cold Fire Space Marines - but am wondering the following:

Can the colours be further enhanced by using a foundation paint on top of the white undercoat as this would mean less coats of Hawke Torquise and maybe a crisper look.

I have bought the wash set and wondered which colour I should use on my Marine to give it a sense of depth etc. I have painted up a "demo" marine and would be happy to post pics if people think it would help.

I have included a SMP pic of my colour scheme for reference.

Thank you in advance :)

sm.php?b62c=@hd3IG_hYbiB.hyvFn@@@@.__hzOfe__@@hHzJli8TzJ@@@@@@@@@@@@hzOfe@@@@@@@@@@@@_hozqS@@@.__@@_@@@@hozqSiakk7&

I've not used the foundation paints so I can't give you any help with that.

But, I'd say you could prime with a flat white, base coat with the Turqoise Blue, use the Badab Black or the Asurman Blue wash, Heavy Dry Brush with Turqoise Blue again. This should just leave the "darkness" in the recesses and the other areas will pop. You could also highlight using Ice Blue to make it stand out more.

Just a thought.

Are they going to be a codex chapter?

How do they signify companys/squads number/squad type?

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

I am thinking that they will be a codex chapter.

I am thinking that the colour of the right shoulder pad states which company they belong to. I plan to paint/use decals on this to show squad type and place the squad number on one of the knee pads but just not sure which knee pad to put it on.

I will try the blue wash later today. Just to clarify do you mean apply the wash and then once dry heavy dry brush with the turquoise again?

I don't plan to play with the Army as I don't have time so I am trying to create a nice looking well painted army. But I am trying to keep them game legal just in case.

Once I have applied the was and squad/chapter markings I will take some photos and upload them to this topic as this may help more.

I also need suggestions for the vehicle scheme as I have a rhino and an attack bike to paint up and I will be looking at getting a dreadnought next.

How do people normally incorporate their colours into the scout squads?

Thanks

Try mixing the green (Thraka Green) and the blue (Asurmen Blue) wash to get a more turquoise wash. Apply and a light drybrush of Hawk Turquoise and you're dandy.

The wash does need to be dry before you start to dry brush.

I think Diemos' suggestion sounds good (mixing washes).

The effect I'm talking about looks like this Soul Drinkers , about half way down are my Soul Drinkers. If you look at the shoulder pads you can see the purple is lighter on the main pad and there is a dark "shadow" along the edges. This is what I think you are looking for. If not then never mind.

Looking forward to some of your pics.

I am going to try and mix the washes as I do have some empty mixing pots.

I will then drybrush as recommended and start a WIP thread for my Cold Fire Space Marines Chapter.

Thanks for the help so far it's been great.

Any thoughts on a vehicle colour scheme? I was thinking of something similiar to the Hawk Lords who have Black and Gold vehicles to contrast their purple Armour.

Archived