South American recruit

Hola everyone,

I've been playing fantasy for about 4 years now and I thought it was time to try a bit of 40k at last, around my place it's not very popular so it's hard to get to know the game.

How did I end up in 40k then? well my best friend bought some daemons as his second fantasy army and he said "hey I could play 40k with these guys too! we should give it a try" and since I've always loved Starcraft the rest, as they say, is history.

As I said before there aren't many people into the hobby here so forums are a good way to find people to talk to about the game. So I'll be bothering you with my "n00b" questions for a while :blush:

thanks for the welcome :P

Well I just bought the black reach set with a friend and I'm keeping the Space Marines, so far that's the only thing I have. I decided to go for the marines because they remind me of the Terran in Starcraft. In the long run I'd like to have a shooty armoured force, maybe another dread or a predator I don't know. So far I'm taking it easy and learn my way with low point games.

It seems that my two most frequent opponents will be Daemons and Orks, anything I should know?

Yep theres alot of things youll want to know actually :P. If your playing normal space marines Id suggest not getting a Predator, and give you the following tips:

1) Shoot orks, and just keep shooting them. Much like the Zerg theyre built to rush, and rush you they will. So stand and shoot.

2) Daemons HATE librarians, particularly ones with a power called "Null Zone" wich forces them to reroll their invulnerable saves while within 24" of the librarian- and most Daemons only have Invulnerable saves.

3) Dont split up your forces against either of these opponents, as they can overwhelm an unsupported marine. Marines are great generalists, but need to rely on each other to maximize their effects.

4) Always take the free heavy weapon in a Tactical Squad. Always.

5) Never buy a rhino kit. Ever. If its part of another box, like say the Battleforce thats fine, but why buy a rhino kit when a razorback includes a full rhino kit, and can switch between the two by picking up one back plate and putting on the other- theyre even designed to sit in their without being glued.

Whirlwinds are a wonderful seige tank in that they can fire out of line of sight, are good at killing infantry, and ignore cover saves. I highly reccommend them :HQ:. They, like the Razorback, can be used as a rhino at will if you so choose.

I highly reccommend that once you feel youve got a grip on the game and decide you want to stay with it that you purchase the SM Battleforce, wich gives you a second troops unit youll need to make your force legal and a third besides. It also gives you assault marines, wich are a good counter-assault force, and a combat squad wich can fill in the options for special or heavy weapon marines you might want... or increase the size of another squad.

Of course, this is all for C:SM *Codex: Space Marine*.

Good mechanized shooty units their include:

Razorbacks- small transport, good guns for a cost- think of it like a fighting APC.

Vindicators- Heavy Seige Gun, short range, like a bulldog.

Land Raiders- Heaviest tanks a Marine can field, they can shoot two targets a turn and come in three varieties- long range, short range, and flame thrower :).

Thanks for all the useful tips :)

I'll be playing for a while with the basic set-up anyway, but I just wondered, why is the predator a bad choice? I ask because I really like the looks of the model.

One thing I'd like to know is, are there some minis I should wait to fully assemble so painting is easier?

Mostly the issue with predators is that they have a weak side armor and are not mobile. You know how modern battle tanks can take relatively accurate shots while gunning it across open desert? Yeah, a predator can only fire one gun if it moves, and none if it moves at speed- wich means if you want it to be mobile youve paid 110pts for a one shot gun that isnt particularly speedy.

Blood Angels have fast vehicles, wich among other things means they can shoot more while on the move. You might consider doing an armored company based on their more generous vehicle rules... wich includes the ability to move before the game in some cases, or to come in from the table sides via outflank. They also have the ability to take Baal Predators in their Fast Attack slots, allowing you to field up to six predator variants or other mixed tanks in a single army list.

As for painting before assembly, I must admit I assemble almost everything before I paint- I tend to leave the bolters off my marines, but thats it. Im however not a very good painter, and most of the excellant painters I know paint each peice after assembling the model with blue-tac, and then taking it apart again once they know itll fit right.

Oh! you might want to check out this for some fun stuff:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...?filter_reset=1

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...?filter_reset=1

Yeah, the overcharged engines allow you to shoot on the move or just plain move faster, wich is a good thing to have in a tank force- the tanks are however more expensive to compensate.

Theres also the part where you can take a predator variant in both your HS and FA slots, and theyre more useful over all.

Archived