the angel vs the wolf

sodhero

• 2 weeks later...
Well put Decoy. I'm SODhero's friend who just got Space Wolves. We have yet to duke it out. We are preparing for a 16000pt 4v4 Annihilation game 8000pts a side. Wolves/B.Angels/Nids/Tau vs Necrons/Daemons/IG/Orks in which the winners go against each other 2v2 the following week.

SW are really good. They have the price and flexibility advantage over our stuff. Imagine for example if we got to pass a leadership test to get FC (like SW for CC) instead of a 1 out of 6? I feel they also have the advantage in the psychic phase. However, we are faster, easier led, have the great priests, and can usually put out more shots on the move. The long and short of it I see our army is I see our army with more risks but higher reward when done correctly - and with a bit of luck! I beat a mech/droppod SW player last night 9 KPs to 4 in a 1750 match (though he brought Bjorn so that helped!) and despite some hairy encounters have never lost to them, yet.

Please, people, if you're not even going to read the OPs message, or the one's after it, then don't bother replying. Yes, he posted a wall of text. Is it unreadable? No. Pathetic that you won't actually read the OPs post because it'll take a few seconds more than if it was properly structured, but you'll take the extra time to type that you can't help/give advice because you can't read the OPs "wall of text" post instead of just ignoring it. As weird as it might sound, it makes you seem like the one with the reading deficiency in the end.

Anyways, I definitely see the Fast Vindicators being a major threat (to any army). Though, with all the maneuverability that the Angels offer, it obviously comes at price (literally). Yes, Wolves counter-attack is a defensive measure that won't really make a difference when the assaulters have Furious charge. This is too true. Though, we can make your Termies with FC have an extremely hard time by using Murderous Hurricane, or if you chose to use a lot of jump infantry or a Storm Raven, the Wolves have Tempest's Wrath to answer that.

All in all, upon SODhero and I comparing our codexes a bit more, we found that there are pros and cons for both armies, just like there would be when comparing others together. Though, hands down, our Psykers are sooooo much better. Yes, Angels can fly and whatnot, but that would insist on a retinue of jump infantry which can be pricy, and easily avoided if they were to fail a morale check, or to end up on range of our psykers.

Please, people, if you're not even going to read the OPs message, or the one's after it, then don't bother replying. Yes, he posted a wall of text. Is it unreadable? No. Pathetic that you won't actually read the OPs post because it'll take a few seconds more than if it was properly structured, but you'll take the extra time to type that you can't help/give advice because you can't read the OPs "wall of text" post instead of just ignoring it. As weird as it might sound, it makes you seem like the one with the reading deficiency in the end.

This.

I have a buddy who plays a nasty wolves list that has tabled my Sang. Guard in 3 turns.

Alternately, I went to a tournament recently and tabled a space wolf army with Arjac and Logan in it.

The Power of our dex vs theirs is really an individual basis.

I do not believe the wolves will roll over us every game, but I also don't think we are gonna embarrass them without a fight.

I've played 4 times against wolves and so far I'm dead even with them.

I have a buddy who plays a nasty wolves list that has tabled my Sang. Guard in 3 turns.

Alternately, I went to a tournament recently and tabled a space wolf army with Arjac and Logan in it.

The Power of our dex vs theirs is really an individual basis.

I do not believe the wolves will roll over us every game, but I also don't think we are gonna embarrass them without a fight.I've played 4 times against wolves and so far I'm dead even with them.

That's pretty much my point of view when it comes to this match up. It's gonna come down to who gets the lucky dice rolls early on to set the pace of the game.

Librarian with Fear Of The Darkness has LOTS of fun vs Space Pups, when he can get the power off.

With armies being mechanized nowadays, and especially in a Angels vs Wolves battle, you can expect either units to be in vehicles or in an assault. Save for Long Fangs. I wouldn't rely too much on FotD vs Wolves. Though with two Librarians on the board FotD and Shackle Soul going off in the same turn, then you have better odds of wreaking havoc.

There will always be something on the board not in a vehicle. I find it does wonders against those Long Fangs that will be throwing Missiles at my Fast Rhinos/Razorbacks.

Grey Hunters aren't really the problem, because we can usually take them on in combat and win, utilising either Furious Charge to maximise damage caused or Feel No Pain to reduce damage if they get the charge.

I try and play on the strengths of the BA, which is speed and mid ranged fire support, whilst focusing on removing the strengths of the Space Wolves which is dirt cheap anti-armour.

There will always be something on the board not in a vehicle. I find it does wonders against those Long Fangs that will be throwing Missiles at my Fast Rhinos/Razorbacks.

Grey Hunters aren't really the problem, because we can usually take them on in combat and win, utilising either Furious Charge to maximise damage caused or Feel No Pain to reduce damage if they get the charge.

I try and play on the strengths of the BA, which is speed and mid ranged fire support, whilst focusing on removing the strengths of the Space Wolves which is dirt cheap anti-armour.

Doesn't fear of the dark have a range problem?

Know what's more pathetic? Not having the decency and respect to make one's posts readable so that the people that one is asking for help don't have to struggle to even figure out what one is asking.

Know what's more pathetic? Not having the decency and respect to make one's posts readable so that the people that one is asking for help don't have to struggle to even figure out what one is asking.

So you're saying that you can't read English? Weird, you type it fine.

Nope, I'm saying I refuse to read jumbled up crap because people are too lazy to type properly.

Truly a battle between SW and BA boils down to one thing and one thing alone: who gets the charge.

Both armies have a fairly equal level of long range fire power, whether it be long fangs or fast moving preds, etc. Both have CC units of Doom (Death Co, Thunderwolf Cav, Honor Guard, Sang Guard, Lone Wolves), both have solid basic troops who do well at shooting and assault, and both excel at the short range fire fight (12" range).

The difference is that BA rely on getting the charge to get the most out of their units (and their RAS's especially), whereas the SW are equally at home charging or being charged, as they'll have 3 attacks either way (assuming a successful LD roll for CA).

That is the strength/weakness of BA: their reliance on getting the charge, and therefore getting FC. Without it, they're just normal codex assault marines (though with a Sang Priest they're slightly better due to FNP)

Nope, I'm saying I refuse to read jumbled up crap because people are too lazy to type properly.

Aww, you poor thing. You must go and cry in a corner when you encounter word searches, huh?

You're pretty much saying that since you saw that the paragraph was too big it was unreadable. Whether or not there were minor spelling errors and whatnot is irrelevant because you saw a wall of text that didn't fit your standards therefore you didn't read any of it. Even the OP apologized and gave reason to the 1st post.

But instead of reading that and understanding, you decided to skim through the rest of the thread, and my post came up which apparently offended you since you felt the need to reply instead of just ignoring it. Time to move on, Drake. I know I am.

Truly a battle between SW and BA boils down to one thing and one thing alone: who gets the charge.

Both armies have a fairly equal level of long range fire power, whether it be long fangs or fast moving preds, etc. Both have CC units of Doom (Death Co, Thunderwolf Cav, Honor Guard, Sang Guard, Lone Wolves), both have solid basic troops who do well at shooting and assault, and both excel at the short range fire fight (12" range).

The difference is that BA rely on getting the charge to get the most out of their units (and their RAS's especially), whereas the SW are equally at home charging or being charged, as they'll have 3 attacks either way (assuming a successful LD roll for CA).

That is the strength/weakness of BA: their reliance on getting the charge, and therefore getting FC. Without it, they're just normal codex assault marines (though with a Sang Priest they're slightly better due to FNP)

Yeah, which pretty much means if the Angels are denied this, then they have to find an alternative means of accomplishing their goal. As pointed out earlier, more flexibility with the Wolves, and if they take a hit, they can regroup. It's not as easy for the angels, but not impossible.

I noticed people mentioning earlier that SW terminators (actually wolf guard in terminator armour) are more expensive. While that might be the case if you equip them with thunderhammer and storm shield, if you compare 4 BA terminators with power fists and a sergeant with power weapon with an equivalent of the SW the SW are only 5 points more and get counter charge + Acute senses which I think is a pretty good deal. Then again I don't play SW.

What bothers me is that when SW have a deathwish they get an extra wound + eternal warrior + some other stuff for the same points as a death company bland DC model. I know that in high point games they take up a valuable elite slot (and SW have a lot of elite choices compared to troop choices) but in low point game (which I prefer to play) they seem like a good way to fill up the last few points without buying useless wargear.

Archived