how to apply transfers

hello all,

i am having a lot of problems applying decals to my marines shoulder pads. the things do not sit flush, they throw waves and bubbles and are a general PITA to work with.

i tried to find some tutorials here but they are inoperative.

can you help me out, please?

Transfers are quite simple to use:

1. Cut them out very carefully, and as close as you dare to the design (it's usually best to leave a millimeter or two around the design just in case)

2. Immerse the transfer in warm water until it begins to slide freely from the backing. This usually takes about a minute or two. Be patient and gentle, as if you poke at it to see if it's ready too hard you can tear the transfer as some of it slides off and some doesn't.

3. Very carefully, remove the transfer on it's backing paper from the water - tweasers are good to use here, and with a clean paintbrush very gently slide the transfer from the paper onto the area of the model where you want the transfer to be. Try to get it as close to possible to where you want the design to be, as once the transfer is on the model there is a very short working time to reposition it.

4. To smooth out and adjust he position of the transfer, keep the paintbrush wet and very carefully use it to manipulate the transfer. The key to this process is care and making sure the transfer stays soaking wet. Once it, or any part of it dries out it will stick fast to the plastic and be next to impossible to remove without scraping it off or painting over it and starting again.

I don't use transfers much myself any more, though I will be needing to once I bother to add the chapter logos to my Sons of Medusa (painting all those skulls accurately will probably kill me), as I prefer to paint any details I want if I can, but I have had lots of experience from airfix models and older Warhammer projects. You need to be careful but quick once you apply the transfer to the model, and try to keep it soaking wet while you are manipulating it.

Hope that helps.

Micro Set

Micro Sol

The process is like what the Iron Father mentioned above but a new decal sheet only takes about 20-30 seconds in water before it is ready. I don't try to pick it up, just slide it from the paper to the shoulder pad with a paint brush. You have just a second before it sets so be quick, if you can't move it with the bristles of the brush (once on the pad) you can use the end of the brush handle instead of a finger, a finger always seems to mess it up.

Use the micro set and micro sol, they work great. Directions are on the bottles.

-Fury

Archived