Help on colour matching for Lamenters

Lithanial

I am trying to decide on which successor paint scheme to use for my force. I have a test mini painted up for Angels Sanguine that looks good and is relativly quick to paint but i am having real trouble trying to come up with the correct mix to replicate the Lamenter in the new codex.

Everything i find by doing searches paints them yellow but the picture is distinctly NOT yellow; some sort of green/yellow/brown hybrid. Desert yellow comes close but a brown shade doesn't look quite right and with the translucency of the paint anything darker than the browns makes painting the main colour a nightmare!

Any painting expert able to help me?

Yellow is perfectly acceptable as their color. Go back far enough in the game and they were a very basic yellow (Sunburst):

gallery_2_3709_11449.gif

Their current color scheme:

gallery_2_3709_7892.jpg

is more of a mustard color. GW used to have a color that was very close to this, for the life of me though I can't recall the name. If you can find someone who remembers the name you can find the match to it over at Black Hat in their Coat D'arms range (which is the old GW paints).

Alternatively you could try Vallejo Model Paints which are very likely to have something close. Perhaps Sand or Ice Yellow:

http://www.thewarstore.com/modelcolors001_055.html

or maybe some of the ochre colors from this part of the range:

http://www.thewarstore.com/modelcolors111_165.html

*EDIT: Aha! The old GW Catalog (2004-2005) says they used Leprous Brown as the main color. So according to the handy paint match chart you find:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Ra...atibility_Chart

Citadel - Leprous Brown*

Vallejo Game Color - Scrofulous Brown (038)

Vallejo Model Color - Gold Brown (877)

Reaper Master - Saffron Sunset ** (9182)

Privateer Press P3**** - Leprous Brown (156)

Coat D'arms*** - D88E2D

(* = discontinued, ** = approximate, *** = coat d'arms match the OLD citadel colours so there might be some difference. Shining gold has the most noticeable difference,

**** P3 Paints do not really match very closely with the GW range, but a detailed explanation of each paint can be found here: http://www.brushthralls.com/pre-painting-p...heory-10p3.html )

While i appreciate the effort you went to there Kurgan, i am not after the old colour; i am after the new one as per the model in the BA codex.

Leprous Brown being the color used at the time the 2nd picture there (the one in the codex currently as well) was first done. So if you want to match it you have to find one of those equivalents because GW no longer makes that color. Mixing existing colors not withstanding.

Leprous Brown being the color used at the time the 2nd picture there (the one in the codex currently as well) was first done. So if you want to match it you have to find one of those equivalents because GW no longer makes that color. Mixing existing colors not withstanding.

Nope, not that pic. the one of the model at the bottom of page 80.

Huh... you DO realise that GW uses paints that they have discontinued on new models as they have a back log of paints and the very paint that they used has been mentioned in this thread already. They also used dry brushing to get the colour blend like that an highlighted each surface up using an added mix of brown/white an grey.

If what I said doesnt help you then im not sure what you want really.

Mine is a little old school. With the one I have painted, I painted mine white colour base and then I used 3 to 1 ratio of yellow ink to brown ink.

It's truly too bad they don't make them anymore for I totally love the brown ink! Of course, a LITTLE drop of brown ink, and then I'd get mustard yellow.

But apparently, it's not enough of a "yellow" for the original poster?

Archived