What Shall I Buy?

Pfc. BRB

Hey everyone.

First let me say that B&C is pretty flippin' awesome.

So I am pretty new to 40k and to BA's as well, I got interested awhile back, somewhere towards the end of 4th edition not really sure. :P I enjoyed it back then, but I never really had to money or the time for it. But now lets just say I both time and a little money to invest into a new Blood Angel army.

I chose the BA's because of the color scheme really, back then I didn't even realize that they had their own codex :P I am usually more of a shooty not run at the enemy kind of guy, but after playing a few proxy games with my friend I realized that BA's are the choice for me. Oh not to mention the fluff too!

Right now I've got about $170 saved up, and more on the way but that won't be for a week or so. I will be using an online store that is like 20% off the standard prices.

I was just wondering if you guys could make some recommendations because right now I am at a loss on what to buy. I have been lurking for quite a while now and it looks like a bunch of you run sang. priests, and I never even thought of buying them until I came to these forums. I also wanted to buy all the shiny BA items: Dante, a few Baal Preds, DC of course, Sang. Guard, and so on.

What I have so far:

13 tac troops

1 razorback

1 dread. that I plan on making a furioso

1 LR that I got for free, because of the awful paint job + lacquer

5 assault troops

A friend is going to give me her black reach models, because she never really got into the game. I am going to give another friend the termies because he has already given me bunch of free guys. So once that happens I guess I will have another dread and 10 more tac troops. Right?

Well anyway like I've said before, I do not know what to get. I don't think I really want to run a mec list really. I kinda like the jump-packs too much. I really like Dante and the Sang. guard, oh and the DC doesn't look too bad themselves <_<

So if you guys will please give me some advice I am very interested in what everyone has to say. B)

Thanks!

Your playing BA so you want as many jump troops as humanly possiable. Tac Squads are kinda a waste in BA unless your going gun line BA (really? Please!) Dreads are a great idea if you can convert yourself up a right close combat weapon so you can take some Furiosos. Baal Pred are also sex on tank tracks.

Chaplin models are a must (atleast 1) as they really buff this army (reclusiarchs are gold and a solid choice for a HQ unit)

After that depends on your play style. Like Mech lists? MOAR TANKS!! Like a pin point strike squad? Honor guard or Vanguard are for you. Like the idea of the skys on fire? DROP PODS AWAY!!! ext ext

It ain't impossible to make a good list with mostly tacticals in it, the mobility that fast rhinos/razorbacks give the squads is not to be overlooked. I play mostly jp's myself, but thats only because I love to fly around the battlefield. It ain't a necessity in a BA army, but it's fun ^_^ Also I prefer librarians over chaplains, but that's also a personal choice.

The easiest way to go is to get a couple of rhinos for the tacticals, get some DC or terminators to put in the landraider and maybe a Baal pred. The AoBR tacticals are quite hard to convert to anything but tacticals so if you want jump packin' squads you have to buy something new. The DC box is full of goodies. It gives you 5 tacticals or 5 assault marines (or 5 DC's of course :P ) and lots of extra nice stuff to make your other marines more Bloody Angely. I will problably use the DC box to build my vanguard too. You could also get youself a venerable or ironclad dreadnought kit if you wanna pimp your dreads.

But if I were you I'd get 2 boxes of DC and a razorback to start with.

Your playing BA so you want as many jump troops as humanly possiable. Tac Squads are kinda a waste in BA unless your going gun line BA (really? Please!) Dreads are a great idea if you can convert yourself up a right close combat weapon so you can take some Furiosos. Baal Pred are also sex on tank tracks.

Chaplin models are a must (atleast 1) as they really buff this army (reclusiarchs are gold and a solid choice for a HQ unit)

After that depends on your play style. Like Mech lists? MOAR TANKS!! Like a pin point strike squad? Honor guard or Vanguard are for you. Like the idea of the skys on fire? DROP PODS AWAY!!! ext ext

I don't really agree with the sentiment on Tac Squads, they certainly have their uses and are very flexible. I personally plan on having a 10 man tac squad combat squadded, one half for objective sitting with a Missile Launcher, the other half in a Razorback with a PW and MG for objective contesting and backing up non-scoring units (like DC).

Definitely agree with the Reclusiarch, going to be using my Lemartes model fitted with a backpack (magnetised) as my counts-as Reclusiarch, who'll be attached to a foot slogging DC in a HF Razorback. I'm also planning on running a Libby in another squad with my Reclusiarch list.

Personally I'd avoid Vanguard in anything less than 1850-2k games as if you're fielding a 5 man squad, point for point HG are really a better choice, except in the larger games where you could afford to field a 10 man VV.

I'm new to all this myself as well, and I started out with the following purchases:

1x Tac Squad box, 1x Vanguard Vet box, 2x DC boxes, 2x Assault Squad boxes, 1x Baal Pred, Dante, Lemartes, a friend donated 5 more assault marines too. I couldn't believe how quickly the costs mounted up!

Subsequently I've purchased a box of Sanguinary Guard, 2 Sanguinary Priests (these guys are Essential!!!!!), a Command Squad (For modelling the HG, who have a priest model too), 2x Razorbacks and another Baal Pred. I have 2 lists that I like and I'm using different combinations of HG/SG/DC as my elite/hammer units. I've got my army lists and build blog in my sig if you fancy having a peek. ^_^

Good luck!

Nothing wrong with BA Tac Marines. Always a solid choice, they give BA a nice mix of fire support and assault if used correctly.

Anyway as a new BA player my self I can recommend that you get a DC box and then either a box of Tac's or RAS (Or Battleforce! ^_^) and mix and match the parts. DC bitz give you a very shmick looking army and provide an extra 5 troops for any squad, just remember to file back or cover up those DC markings.

And remember: with a little GS and ingenuity you can convert just about anything, say using the DC parts with grails to make a cheep SP.

Paint what you have and then buy more. Don't let it build up on you. You will regret it later.

I agree with this... I honestly have this problem. I want to start playing some games with my army, but it's kinda tough with headless/jumppackless ASM squads and armless TAC squads due to the fact I want to paint up the detail before I fully construct them. :)

I would buy 2 boxes of dc. Use magnets to be able to switch between jump and backpack. Paint them red and use them as troop or fast. Use surplus bits to make tac into bolter dc and use them with the landraider. Buy jump chaplain to use as reclusiarc or chaplain. Evt magnets and backpack also. That should be a good adon.

I would buy 1 box of Death Company, 1 box of Regular Assault Marines.

With this you can make 10man Veterans (Use magnets so they could be sternguard or vanguard) you could make Honor Guard, you could make death company, pretty much anything you want.

I get my magnets from www.KJMagnetics.com, if you buy them I use the N52 strength 1/8" for arms and backpacks, (I don't magnetize hands I don't find they stay well enough) and I use 3/16" n52 grade magnets for magnetizing on Sponsons to vechiles.

And something to note something I didn't know when I started the game, if your buying a Rhino for those Tactical Marine's spend the extra cash buy a Razorback and don't glue on the top piece where the Razorgun Mounted weapon fits, you can then switch it back and forth from Razorback to Rhino as you see fit... now I have 6 rhino's and 1 razorback...

You can also buy Whirlwinds and make them into Rhino's very easily and switch back and forth for days you just feel like something different.

I also agree you need some kind of HQ so a Reclusiarch or a Librarian or both will do you well there.

Then I'd work on filling out the troops section a bit. As you say you love the jump packs then buy some assault squads and DC boxes. The bits in the DC boxes really are fantastic and can be combined with the assault squads (and other things too!) to make your forces look more BA. To start I'd aim for 2 ten man assault squads. Now to make those squads extra nice get some Sanguinary Priests, there is one listed on the GW site and the old apothecaries work too or the expensive way is to buy the command squad box.

Now beyond this I would reccomend sitting down with the codex and writing up a few lists, maybe ask your friends to borrow some models or by other means proxy a few games. See what works for you, what you like and what you don't then take another look at buying more models once you have a better idea of how things sit with you.

QUOTE (BrotherMoses @ Jun 2 2010, 10:01 AM)

Paint what you have and then buy more. Don't let it build up on you. You will regret it later.

I agree with this... I honestly have this problem. I want to start playing some games with my army, but it's kinda tough with headless/jumppackless ASM squads and armless TAC squads due to the fact I want to paint up the detail before I fully construct them.

I agree with this 100% as well. I recently jumped into the WH40k world myself and went on a whirlwind shopping spree and bought pretty much everything I wanted/needed (and some I'm finding out I didn't really need :RTBBB:). Now I'm stuck playing with those phantom headless ASM and a few turret less predators which is mildly depressing. I'm slowly making progress, but I kind of wish I'd taken it slower and not bogged myself down with a ton of unfinished painting. I'll make it through eventually but it can be dishearening sometimes. I've found as I finish painting things I enjoy playing games with them even more. Now if I could only get the lazzy asses at my LGS to paint more of their troops we could get some really spectacular looking battles going!

My recomendations for what to get first would be pretty simple. I can not recommend enough a few boxes of ASM (you can sub the DC box set if you like, I personally didn't as I want my DC to really stand out and my rank and file ASM will only have a few purity seals and company/chapter markings), along with ASM you really can't go wrong with the Baal predator it's a lovely piece of machinery and is very handy to have in your army (I like keeping them cheap 115 points for a tank that can scout/outflank behind enemy lines and then take some very accurate rending shots at back/side armor is pretty handy). Other then that libbies are very effective and reasonably priced HQ, Sanguinary priests are pure gold attached to any squad, an HG can be a very versatile unit depending on how you build them up, dread are always fun to play with especially since ours have so many cool little extras, and I particularly like the AC/LC heavy pred (moving 6" and unleashing all your weapons is pretty awesome, that little 6" movement really lets you line up your shots to upmost effect).

So I guess shopping list wise it would look something like this:

2-4 - boxes of ASM/DC (depending on preference)

2-3 - Sanguinary priests

1 - Command Squad box (HG)

1-2 - Baal Pred's

1-2 - Heavy Pred's

1-2 - Dreadnoughts

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The reason I have all those tac guys is because I started out as a vanilla player, but there wasn't much going on with them so I switched to BA. I might buy some rhinos for them and my assault squads, which I plan on magnetizing their packs.

In those proxy games that I played, I ran both a Reclusiarch and a Librarian. I liked them both very much, and I like the idea of magnetizing the Chaplain's pack to give me some flexibility. I also like the idea of buying a DC and mixing and matching the parts.

I also totally agree with this. I just need to strip that LR and I should be good, hopefully it comes off :RTBBB:

I have another question, does the Furioso dread boxset come with blood talons? Because I would like to put them on one of my dreads, at least magnetized. If not, what do you guys do to represent blood talons?

Does anyone have any other ideas? How do you guys feel about Vindicators?

I love Vindicators. But if you use them, always use at least 2.

Yeah, thats what I have read, Do you think I should buy 2 Vindicators right now, or should I work on building up my troop count first? Like more ASMs?

I love Vindicators. But if you use them, always use at least 2.

Yeah, thats what I have read, Do you think I should buy 2 Vindicators right now, or should I work on building up my troop count first? Like more ASMs?

more troops first, mainly assault marines.

Buy troops now for sure.

Right now my list has 2 baals and 1 Vindicator ... I've had way more success out of my Baals sadly ... my Vindi's even when I was doing count as and running 2 always seem to get a weapon destroyed result

Sadly there isnt a Fruioso dred box set yet (if ever!) and the only way to make one is either to convert the missing close combat arm or buy the old school metal dred.

I went for the second option and it worked out really well as the close combat weapons it has are already talon like :wub:

As for what you should get next (after painting) MOAR ASSAULT TROOPS!

A DC box or two and mix the parts with what you already have should give you quite a bit of BA looking assault troops. If what you have is assembled, I'd still buy a box of DC, along with either a set of tacticals or 2x assualt troops, depending on whether you plan to give your guys jump packs or not.

Archived