Painting an off white/Bone colour

Hi

I am painting up my new chapter of space marines and would like to try them with off-white/Bone/Tyranid Carapace coloured helmets. I was wondering if someone could offer any help on how to achieve this effect for a novice like myself.

I am starting with a Skull White base coat.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not the best painter in the world by any stretch but my method is tested looks good on the table

If you want actuall "Skull" colors how I do my skulls is:

Black Base coat

Thinned layers of Astronomicon grey until I can't see the black

Thin layers of bleached bone until I can't see the grey (Nice uniform color)

Wash with Devlen Mud (gives it the aged look)

Then I dry brush bleached bone on again

Then a light dry brush of skull white to give it the higher level highlighting.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/LanthierFamily/Warhammer%2040k/Blood%20Angels/DSC_0486_383.jpg

I'd basecoat them Bleached Bone. Then, I'd do a number of Ogryn Flesh -or- Devlan Mud washes, depending on what kind of feel I was going for. Finally, I'd determine the angle of light and do successively finer highlights - Pure BB > BB and Skull White in 1:1 > pure SW for the last details.

I'd base in SnakeB leather, highlight up to SnakeB+Bleached Bone, wash with thinned devlan, highlight up to pure bleached bone, then BB + Skull white then skull white alone.

Seems to work pretty well TBH, although I haven't got any pictures here to show it - will try and upload something

I will try a couple of these techniques out and see what works the main issue I have been having is that there isn't really any recessed areas on the helmets and so it never quite looks right. Does anyone have any good images of where you should apply highlights to on a marines armour as I am never sure.

Gemerally you don;t need much shading, apply the highlights all over except towards the central section of teh curvature (around the base of the neck, the eyes, mouthpiece, earphones etc)

Just washing the white basecoat with one or two layers of Gryphonne Sepia gives a nice effect. I used that on my wife's nids (which I won't post here), but if you're interested in the result you might want to check out "How to paint a Tyranid Warrior" by Beasts of War on YouTube.

It won't win you any Golden Demons, mind you, but it's fast and looks great.

Archived