The Sanguinor's Blessing

shinigami

:( OK, as per title.... The italian translation of "the sanguinor's blessing" special rule is "scegli un sergente a caso", which sounds rather ambiguous...

The english version of the rule states "randomly choose", but what does it mean, exactly? can I choose the sergeant I want, or not? And if not, what is your way of "randomly" choosing a sergeant :) ? I can't really get it...

Pretty much, it's not exactly random if you pick it. Randomly choose is perfectly clear, it could be the Sarg in the VV squad or the Sarg in your Devs

I would hope you where able to know before you start the game how many sargents where in your force. If you have 3 roll a d3 (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) if you only have d6s and you have 4 or 5 Sargs re-roll if you get an unassaigned number. I could go on but really I would hope that you get the drift.

I think it means find a way to randomize it. They don't know how many sarges are in your army so they couldn't say roll a D6. Personally id just roll a D6 for all of them with the highest score winning, in the event of a draw just roll off on the winning models until one comes out as the winner. Seems to be the general consensus.

you may choose one of your...

that's how i see it.

Funny, the way you see it is the exact opposite of what it says.

yeah; but i found it too unclear.

not that i use sanguinor anyway; buut :blink:

I have one sarge', a LC termie, in one of my lists. I can't choose him randomly! What do I do?!?!

Another way to do it is roll a dice to determine which second from 1-6 at game-start you must make the choice in, make your choice in that randomly generated second... There, 'randomly chosen'.

Pick a person at random in the room, ask them to choose one.

I'm joking... plz!

I have one sarge', a LC termie, in one of my lists. I can't choose him randomly! What do I do?!?!

I actually had a game recently where my Vanguard sergeant was my only sergeant (DC and DC dreads as troops, it was an apoc game so I was being silly anyway). Should have brought Sanguinor.

• 1 month later...

Put the Sergeants in a line, say where Number 1 is and roll a dice. The Sergeant standing on the place matching the rolled number is the Chosen. Voila!

If you have less than 6 Sergeant, re-roll any result that is higher than the number of Sergeants. If there are more than 6, you might have to roll 2d6 (keeping in mind that you have to start with 2 then, as it is impossible to roll 1 on 2d6), re-rolling any results exceding the number of Sergeants.

As long as the method is truly random, does it matter what you use?

If you have 3-4 sergeants roll a d4 or d6. If you have 7-8 roll a d8 or a d10.

Just make sure that the result isn't biased towards the one you want it to be (I'd always want it to be my Vanguard sergeant, but that probably won't happen too often)

2D6 is not a good idea as some numbers are much more likely than others to come up on a roll of 2D6. I.E. the chance of getting a 7 is 6/36 while the chance of getting a 2 is only 1/36. If someone tried this with me I'd probably pack up there and then. A better way if you have more than 6 sergeants is to split them into too equal groups then roll a D6. On 1-3 pick group 1 and on a 4+ pick group 2. Then put them in a line and use a D6 as already mentioned.

you do a little tapdance, humm to the emperor and spin around alot. then you ask someone nearby to stop you whilst you point a finger in a general direction. if you finger happens to point at squad then congratualtions. if your pointing at several take them aside and repeat till youve cleared out which one it is :)

it defines no way tbh....do whatever you please till they clear it up.

pick the two models you most want to have the blessing and roll between the two of them. it just says one of the models has to be randomly assigned the blessing, that's all the guidance it gives.

seriously, just line them up and roll a dice, or name them all and put all their names in a hat. who cares. if someone wants to pack up over the way you pick your model to get the blessing, they probably aren't a whole lot of fun to play with anyway.

2D6 is not a good idea as some numbers are much more likely than others to come up on a roll of 2D6. I.E. the chance of getting a 7 is 6/36 while the chance of getting a 2 is only 1/36. If someone tried this with me I'd probably pack up there and then. A better way if you have more than 6 sergeants is to split them into too equal groups then roll a D6. On 1-3 pick group 1 and on a 4+ pick group 2. Then put them in a line and use a D6 as already mentioned.

Don't you think that you would be being a little harsh if you just packed up then and there. I mean some of people are not just as mathematical orientated as others and it could just be an innocent mistake.

Would it not be nicer to just simply suggest a fairer and more appropriate means to determine the random nature of the Sanguinator's blessing.

That being said, it would have also been better if GW had simply given us the means to determine which Sergeant recieves the blessing.

Myself, I have been wondering about this rule and believe that I would do a roll off. Every sergeant rolls. The highest recieves. A tie means a roll of with all those whorolled the highest number and so on. Much like a roll of for first turn except with multiple players. The way I see it, the sergeant who wins has then been blessed by the dice gods and should be most likely to put their new stats to best effect.

Archived