Fighting Orks

roninmodern

Ok, so I fought my first battle against Orks last night, and was absolutely trounced. 1000 points per side, and at the moment I don't have much to choose from to field so my list wasn't that great.

I was absolutely decimated by the amount of shots he could take in one turn.

What tools do we have to deal with shooty Ork armies?

Thanks!

^ This. I had a similar game a few days ago, my opponent had 98 models at 1000 points, and I took them to bits with a pair of whirlwinds. He was even more worried that I might bring out a Baal, but I don't have one yet. The best way I've found is to thin the squads out with whirlwinds, then smash them with an assault squad with a priest (for furious charge) and a librarian with unleash rage or a chaplain (liturgies of blood only allows re-rolls on the charge, but that 1 turn should be all you need). Whirlwinds are probably best since they can move 6" and still fire their pie plates, either S5 AP4 so you're killing on 3s, or if he has cover then S4 AP5 shots kill on 4s. Flamestorm Baal can ruin them but you need to make sure you're not going to get wrecked in an assault, shooty Baal might not be able to get enough shots off. They won't be able to do it alone though, you'll need something to finish off what's left in an assault. I'd definitely recommend getting one each of Baal and Whirlwind, since they'll be useful against most things, not just Orks.

+Edit+ Ninja'd by Mort (by seconds, so says the timestamp!). The "^ This" was supposed to refer to JamesI's post, but talon furiosos would work very nicely as well if you can get close!

Baal Pred with flamestorm cannon sounds like it's the order of the day to eat up piles of meaty troops. The odd out-flank and tank shock off a table edge could be great fun too!

Whirlwinds, Vindi's, talon dreads, and Baal's are all great ork killers, I'd also submit that a dread with frag cannon and HF in a pod could be quite capable of killing those boyz. Also you can't overlook the humble landpseeder with typhoon missile launcher it should be quite capable of taking out a good number of orks and they are bargain basement cheap at 180pts for two landspeeders thats 4 str4 ap6 blast's and 6 str5 ap4 HB shots for near the same price as the frag/HF dread in pod I mentioned earlier. The only down side is they are pretty fragile fragile with only AV10 front.

Against shooty orks, I'd agree with what's been said. Orks struggle to knock out vehicles AV13+ at a range.

In that same line of thought, a land raider crusader/redeemer, though it would be a quarter of your points would be almost unkillable by the orks and could deliver an assault squad and priest (led perhaps by a reclusiarch for your HQ) right into their shooty ork lines.

Also, since most of ork shooting is AP4 or worse and strength 7 or less, taking enough priests (probably two at this PV) to make sure everyone has FNP is simply necessary.

I would definitely add a Pred / Vindi into the list.

Then run some RAS + Sanguinary Priest behind the 2 AV 13 to block line of sight.

I have noticed that Orks are deadly on the charge but they are muffins if they are charged (minus that hidden claw which is a pain in the power armor)

I appreciate all of the advice! Tanks are a way off due to $$ concerns.

At the moment I'm running:

Reclusiarch

Plasma Pistol

Jump Pack

5 Death Company

Power Fist

Jump Packs

10 Tactical Marines

Flamer

Plasma Cannon

Rhino

5 Assault Marines

Power Weapon

5 Scouts

Sniper Rifles

4 Bikes

Power Weapon

Plasma Rifle

Multi Melta Attack Bike

I've only just started playing again - Many of these are old models from when I used to play. I know the list isn't awesome but it's what I have available at the moment.

No armour to hide behind means you're half strength from Turn 1 until you can Deep Strike your jump units. So that means your Scouts, Tactical Squad and Bikes are the only units on the ground. Use their ranged weapons to decimate one unit at a time and stay in cover!!! Never deploy your unsupported troops all the way up to the line.

Snipers have 48" range and Pinning if they Wound. Use them against biggest, ugliest Ork in view.

Tactical with PlasCannon has 36" range with small blast. Use it to take out a tight group or vehicle.

Multi-melta Attack Bike has 24" range and AP2 to take out vehicles.

Spread out 6-12", prioritize Top 3 targets, and take them out 1 at a time until your jumpers can come in behind them. With different ranges on your weapons it's going to be tricky, but not impossible.

Get some armour!!! Every BA Commander needs a pair of Baals!!!

Id also recommend dual Baal's and a Furioso dread with Hflamer and talons. Use this against my flate mate to great effect so far. Just watch out for Deff Rolla's or Wreckin Balls as they can take out a tank if your foe tank shocks you.

I have a great run with a 5 man Sternguard with 2 heavy flamers 2 combi/flamers and sarge with Combi/flamer and fist with a Sang preist with a powerweapon in a TL heavyflamer Razorback My ork playing mates fear this unit for in one turn it has taken out a squad of Burna boys using the Razor and wiped the floor with 30 strong ork mob leaving the Nob open for the charge after all the fire. god I love Flamers.

"I love the smell of Petrolium in the morning"

4 words - 'Fear of the Darkness'

This. I love this power, with unleash rage, fear of the darkness, shield, and sword we really have some nice psychic powers to choose from. The more I use fear the more I like it. Ive had great success with it against Tau and orks especially.

An outflanking flamestorm/HF Baal might be nice, never tried one myself, but Baal predators grind up ork mobs with the asscan/HB alignment really well too.

Basically the traditional means of thinning hordes apply: flamers, blast templates, large blast templates... 10 bolt pistol shots/2 melta/flamer to the face, followed by a preferred enemy furious charge with feel no pain from a full assault squad led by a libby/priest will squash a shoota boy 30 mob in one assault 1 on 1.

Im betting the frag cannons on Furiosos are also be a nice option to drop first turn near a large mob to fire triple template death with a HF upgrade. And you still have your S10/I4 bloodfist and armor 13 to deal with any silly counterchargers. Waaagh that suckas! :P

Or if all else fails... 10 Death company led by Lemartes accompanied by Furioso dread with talons dropping out of a Stormraven usually puts a dent in them :D

Based on what you have I suggest running the bikes on a flank behind cover or failing that run them with the assault marines at a safe range. Make sure the bikes can support the assault squad in assault.

My preferred tactic with tactical squads is to rush up, disembark, and double tap. Make sure you have some cover to shoot from behind and don't deploy too close if you think you can't break the squad.

Keep your force together enough so it supports itself. Do not do a spread out deployment. Pick a target and murder it.

Is he running shoots, lootas, and dreads or what?

DC and Furiosos with Talons man. Bar none the greatest tool against the orky horde at our disposal.

Mort has it right. I once killed a unit of 27 Orks in a single round of combat with blood talons. This was purely by attacking by the way, it isn't like they broke from combat and I ran them down. I actually killed all of them. :unsure:

In addition to this, Tactical Marines can actually do a number on Orks if they get to rapid fire. Sternguard are even better at it, though they're considerably more expensive.

Archived