Tactical Sergeant 2 x pistols

I had an Idea for my Tactical Sergeant to have 2 x Pistols 1 bolt and 1 plasma. I have read the Codex but am unclear if this is legal or not? What impact would it have if I was to field him? would he just have 1 attack and not 2?

Thanks

Perfectly legal. The sergeant can replace his boltgun with a plasma pistol, thus retaining his bolt pistol.

In game I believe he would have +1A since a pistol counts as a normal close combat weapon. In the shooting phase he may only shoot one weapon though.

If you were just going to take a plasma pistol and no SCCW it's the best way to go anyways. As both pistols are CCWs, you lose no attacks, and though you can only fire one or the other you could opt to fire the bolt pistol if you didn't want to risk "gets hot" rolls.

As for why you get the bonus attack?

P37 BRB states "...a close combat weapon and/or a pistol in each hand) get an extra +1 attack." note the and/or.

If that's not clear enough, there's always P29 "In addition a pistol counts as a close combat weapon in the Assault phase."

Since you can carry a pistol in each hand, and a pistol counts as a CCW, it's clear you get the bonus attack.

Since you've not got hax rules such as the old cypher rules or the seraphim BP rules you can only select one ranged weapon at a time though P15 "normally each model in a firing unit can fire a single weapon".

If you decided to take plasma pistol and chainsword you would have to opt not to fire with the sergeant to avoid "gets got". P16 under which models can fire.

Hi

Thanks for the help on this.

I will post pics once it is finished. Not sure what quality it will be though as I am only just getting back into painting.

As long as I know the concept is sound I plan to revisit it at a later date to do a more in depth conversion. Expect pics in a couple of weeks!

Archived