Blood Ravens

Hey guys and gals! (Firstposthere)

I was looking for the GW "how to paint Blood Ravens" article, apparently they've removed it from the website.

Could a battle-brother please give me some pointers? I'm not quite sattisfied with the brownish-red I've created. (chaos black - dark flesh - increasing_quantities_of_blood_red - blood-red highlights. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Just did a Huge comision of Blood Ravens last month so I worked out a really fast and nice way to do them.

Prime black, foundation red all over to speed up the coverage or scab red, scab red mixed with blood red to taste for highlights. Finish off with a thin GW black wash to knock down the highlights a bit. Examples are here Blood Raven pictures

Thanks for the tip. One question though: I'm a n00b, and to me it seems washes only get the minis dirty and ugly. Am I missing something?

Give it an other try by diluting it to 1:1 with water and adding a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid.

Thanks for the tip. One question though: I'm a n00b, and to me it seems washes only get the minis dirty and ugly. Am I missing something?

I also find that the washes dont work that great over large surfaces. I like to use them on craggy surfaces where the wash picks out the detail and gives it depth.

Thining the GW washes is key.

Along with "lining" with it and using a finger or thumb to wipe off a bit of the still wet wash "glaze" from places you don't want it to change the color.

I know for a fact what works for me might not net you the same exact results but you can build off them and learn what does work for you.

Archived