How do you like the codex over the PDF?

HsojVvad

Hello all, I am a DA player, but like to browse all the other forums once in a while. Seeing how you guys were in the same boat as us when the codex came out, and most of you were pissed because your codex was a PDF, how do you like your codex now? Was it worth all the wait and agrivation that a few of you had? Are you happy with what you had? Is there anyone wish they still had the PDF and not this codex?

Now that you have fluff in the codex how do you like it? Would you wish there was more fluff? Anything in there that you don't like about the fluff?

I think after 2 months now, you should have a good feel of your new codex and I was wundering how fellow SM players feel about the BA codex.

Overall I think its good. A few fluff issues (such as the Necron thing) but some effort was made to provide some fluff to successors and that was good.

Personally, to me the biggest changes from the new codex were the loss of rending and the ability to control the DC, the always fast tanks, and the abundance of Feel No Pain and Furious Charge through Sanguinary Priests. Having the Baal predator becoming a Fast Attack choice opens up the Predator tank wall army idea (this change was originally one I disliked, but now its a benefit with the ability to run 2 Vindicators, a regular pred and a Baal in the same army.

As James said overall it is good, an effort was made with the fluff (once again necrons :wub:?) and the changes that began in the PDF. such as Assault squads as troops I enjoy. I am disapointed though by the fact that the GW website implied that tactical squads repurposed themselves as Assault squads as needed/desired was not carried on to the final cut, it added to the almost codex feel of the boys in red. Oh and there is the missing Artificer Armour thing it doesn't make sense , no relic blades i get str. 7 on a charge is a bit full on i guess. The ability to make a full on if small mechanised list is fun too.

I suppose it also Irks that the codex is so BA centric with regards to succesors , or is that just me? hey but at least all of the chapters have an excuse to field Asteroth which is kinda cool.

But i digress, Yes having a real codex is great things just seem to be better thought out and I do like not having to have death company in every list I make that and I also like the new models and units that came with the codex release.

So i guess I am saying it is great and BA are finally feeling more Divergent and characterful( and in my mind Vanguard veterans are just how Ultramarines would describe our veteran Assault squads they are still VAS to me)

damn, think I'm the only one that misses the old .pdf codex. The new codex actually makes me kinda feel like dropping the BAs. but hey thats just me. plus most of the new models look atrocious or just way overdone(pimp my power armour? Seriously?!). I dunno, just doesn't jive well with me, and I've tried a ton of different aproaches to writing lists and running them and I'm just generally not impressed. at least i still has my bugs^.^

Only thing I don't really like is DC and while I do really like them, I always thought they were meant to be a sorta "Well your all mad with the Black Rage anyway so if you die its no big loss try and take something with you"

Now you spend alot of points on them and I'm not as agressive as I was with the "Free" ones so to speak.

Im deff not satisfied with BA: dex at all with the captian being a basic hq choice and not having Art Armor sux, and with out much need options for wargear ie: relic blade or even the blade encarmines? what happened i feel shorted. But... i do like the sang guard, and dc as troops with appropiate hq choice of course. I do like the storm raven, baal tank adds a mech feel to a full on army like BA. But feel the codex gods shorted us all on a custom captian. or at least a chapter master ( dante is the BA's Current, but what about the successors) I for one dont like the use ( counts as) dante already has stats and wargear im more of a diy type of hobbist.

@DeathKnight2000: Since we're comparing the PDF and new 'dex though, our captains haven't really taken any kind of a hit at all. That being said, they're a disappointment when put next to other Capn's.

I'm *quite* happy with the new codex. It could certainly be stronger in certain areas (captain/generic CM for instance) but the options and versatility it presents the Blood Angels and their successors with is really quite fantastic. My biggest complaint is that there are so many fun things that I want to play with, it's going to take me 30 games to try them all!

My biggest complaint is that there are so many fun things that I want to play with, it's going to take me 30 games to try them all!

That is a complaint? LOL that sounds good then it will take you 30 games to try them all. Wouldn't that mean GW did something good with the codex then? It looks like you are enjoying the codex alot.

Just curious 2 people mentioned fluff about Necrons. What is wrong with that?

I feel about the new Blood Angels Codex basically the same way I've felt about all the 5th edition codices; generally solid, multiple interesting army options but a few missed opportunities or odd choices/restrictions.

For BA I feel like they missed making a few choices more attractive/competitive, the Death Company and Sanguinary Guard being the most obvious; Death Company with some option to control them (and perhaps a more generic Squad upgrade chaplain), and Sanguinary Guard need both the ability to increase unit size and slightly heavier hitting close combat attacks (hello relic blades).

Also as tough as Mephiston is, I rather feel that since he was deprived of being able to join squads they ought to have given him back his refractor field(5+ Invulnerable) from 2nd so he at least had some protection against armour ignoring attacks.

Red Thirst ought to have a constant mechanic either instead of or in addition to the current rules, since it always replaces Combat Tactics.

The two abilities (Dante's mask and Mephiston's glare) that only target Independent Characters are poorly thought out since several armies can be fielded entirely without ICs (IG, Tyranids, CSM, Daemons)

So with those being my only gripes I'm generally more then happy to play them as they stand, but look forward to things in the future improving.

Jack

I love the new 'dex. My two favorite things in the PDF - Assault Marines and Furioso Dreads - got a lot better.

Plus, our Flesh Tearers got a lot more coverage. Seth and shoulder pads might not sound like much, but to me it is spectacular.

I feel about the new Blood Angels Codex basically the same way I've felt about all the 5th edition codices; generally solid, multiple interesting army options but a few missed opportunities or odd choices/restrictions.

For BA I feel like they missed making a few choices more attractive/competitive, the Death Company and Sanguinary Guard being the most obvious; Death Company with some option to control them (and perhaps a more generic Squad upgrade chaplain), and Sanguinary Guard need both the ability to increase unit size and slightly heavier hitting close combat attacks (hello relic blades).

Also as tough as Mephiston is, I rather feel that since he was deprived of being able to join squads they ought to have given him back his refractor field(5+ Invulnerable) from 2nd so he at least had some protection against armour ignoring attacks.

Red Thirst ought to have a constant mechanic either instead of or in addition to the current rules, since it always replaces Combat Tactics.

The two abilities (Dante's mask and Mephiston's glare) that only target Independent Characters are poorly thought out since several armies can be fielded entirely without ICs (IG, Tyranids, CSM, Daemons)

So with those being my only gripes I'm generally more then happy to play them as they stand, but look forward to things in the future improving.

Jack

I couldnt agree more on all of this, and I would add:

Our chapter banner costs more and does less then C;SM for no apparent reason... please keep the rules clean GW... we dont need multiple things with the same name acting differently in the game- this is games development 101. Shamefully sloppy, really.

Captains not only suffer from lack of wargear- which is inexcusable, but also from lack of force multiplication in any way... so not only are they less geared and powerful than any other chapters captains, but they also do less for the army as a whole. Criminal oversight, might as well have not included them at all IMO as they currently stand.

I will stop here before I get into minutiae, but there are several other missed opportunities I think stand out as well:

If Blood Angels are truly the masters of jump assault...where is our heroic Intervention character? I would have loved to see Dante get this ability (hit and run? really?). I know it would be powerful, but adjust points accordingly and it would be a fitting rule to flavor captains or a special character, and totally in character to what the army is designed to do.

Techmarines. When will they at least remove the force org slot from these guys and make them a freebie pick so they might see the field once or twice a millennium? Very minor gripe, but since were talking about wasted space in the codex...

I am overall happy just to have a new codex, but it is very sloppily done. Red Thirst is a lame mechanic, Black Rage makes too harsh a penalty with no way of mitigating it, and there are simply too many poorly thought out options and entries - as usual with GWs codexes.

If Blood Angels are truly the masters of jump assault...where is our heroic Intervention character? I would have loved to see Dante get this ability (hit and run? really?). I know it would be powerful, but adjust points accordingly and it would be a fitting rule to flavor captains or a special character, and totally in character to what the army is designed to do.

army or unit type wide DI with d6 on scater , maybe lucius patern drop pods in the dex too ?

as the DC/HG nerf goes . GW does it all the time units that were spamed a lot in all dex that everyone get nerfed .ask loyalist sm about their non assault termis or what nid players do now with their dakka fex[but that maybe a bad example as nids generaly suck]. the good strongly out weights the bad in the new dex. fast moving FA slot baals with scouting , do I even have to say more . best and cheapest LR build . One of the best alfa strike list and am sure the best meq alfa strike list. You can build at least 5 different armies and all work . mefisto is a beast , if he could run in a unit of assault termis or even basic RAS it would be impossible to kill him . But yeah on general the BA dex while more flexible lacks the fool proofness of the pdf corbs builds.

Thank you guys, for your comments. So all in all, so far, people are happy with the codex, I am assuming. That's a good thing I believe. SW players seemed to be happy with thier codex, IG seemed to be happy with thier codex, and SM players seemed to be happy with thiers as well. Tyranids, I am not too shure, it could go either way from what I read. So it looks like GW is doing a good job making the new codecii. It's hit and miss, not everyone is always completely happy, but seems to be better than the previous one.

Strangely my list hasn't changed much - mostly because I still use the same models. :)

Though apparently now my mix of jumppers and rhinos is "spammy" whereas before it was "fluffy". *shrug* ...I don't care - after playing Blood Angels in the 3rd edition no amount of belly aching will bother me again.

I personally love the new codex, lots of fun new stuff to try and some cool new characters.

Man, the Codex is a thousand times more fun than the PDF. Unfortunately I've been getting my ass beaten (my current record is only two wins out of eight games :) ), but I'm having a blast nonetheless. About the only thing I dislike is not being able to control my Death Company... oh and basically being forced to give them a transport because jump packs are stupidly expensive. All in all though, those are small concerns. Fantastic work, GW.

I love the codex.

The complaint about no captains has never held water with me as I dont see the point of them anyway. the Super Chaplin or a Libarian are far better choices anyway. Even if I could have a 2+/4+ relic blade weilding jumpack captain he still wouldnt do that much for me anyway. No orbital Bombardments is kinda anoying but meh so be it!

The only problem I have with the Dex is a flatmate that keeps complaining that their OP as the lists I take can move at 12 and that his orks can "never win against BA!!" blah blah blah. Really its more his luck and bad decisions that are holding him back then anything else.

I quite like it, I'm really enjoying the freedom rather than the daft cookie-cutter build we got lumped with during the WD dex (and which the DA are still stuck with), especially the removal of the 5 or 10 marines only. I like being able to field a non-DC army, and some of the new toys we've got to play with are interesting. They're not the "hit things hard then keep hitting until they fall over" army that they were in 3rd edition, but have way more options. The only things I'm really disappointed with are the complete lack of ability to control the DC (and a little bit with Lemartes, previously a no-brainer with a bad model, now an awesome model who's terrible in game terms), and the notion of deep-striking land raiders, which have caused people to immediately exclaim "that's broken" when they've not seen any other rules or information about the codex. It doesn't seem to me to have any fluff justification, or any justification for that matter other than to try and encourage people to take them. The biggest problem I have is the fact that up here, New Codex Syndrome is quite prevalent, and where I've been the only regular Blood Angels player in my store for the last few years, when I went in this time last week there were 3 or 4 other players using BA, and one of the people I played a game against over the weekend said he was "fed up of facing Blood Angels." Fortunately it seems people are inclined to view me more leniently than other BA players, because they know I've been playing them for years, but the saturation of BA players is quite high.

The fact that 'the Captain doesn't even matter because he's not a worthwhile choice anyway' is the whole reason why it is an issue. Of course the Captain should be a worthwhile choice!

Look at the Space Wolf codex where every HQ is a viable choice. That's how it should be.

I'm very fond of the new codex.

That being said I have some gripes with it still. Mephiston and DCTycho are not independent characters, and DCTycho does not have a rule that joins him to a DC group. Why are these characters not independent? they are not monstrous creatures, demons or anything else which would make their battle brothers shun their company.

The power level of the characters compared to their points cost. I still think some are overpriced, compared to what they do. I might still change my mind as I field test them more.

Dante. Dante is the most senior chapter master out there. Why does he not have a rule saying "look at me, I'm a thousand year old powerhouse of experience and glory. And now I am going to curbstomp you, your army and every living and dead relative you have!". Calgar is a beatstick, with complete control of every squad under his command, Dante can Run away to fight another day. Maybe that's what they envision him like? the biggest wuss of the 41st millenia?

I would happily pay 300 points for him, had he the rules to back him up as the most senior commander the imperium.

I really like the codex. the core is well balanced, and with enough options to make several new and interesting builds. the army lends itself well to both jump hordes, mechanized and raider spam, elite strike forces and well balanced lists. truly the mark of a good codex with many years of enjoyment.

the trouble is the icing on the cake, what separates a good codex from an awesome codex. Special characters that are far removed from the fluff and what we've seen in previous codii, special rules with unclear wording and a few staple units not matching their points cost.

Mephiston would be broken if you could attach him to a unit.

Aye, that he would be. and the answer would be simple: tone him down, make him "believable" again.

While I love the awsomeness that is Mephiston now, I have to agree with you I would of rather seen him not quite so buff but able to join a squad

Archived