Cutting Plastics

I have an exacto blade (or at least what I believe to be an exacto blade). But I still struggle to cut the plastics GW kits cleanly.

What do you use to cut your models? For eg. when cutting legs to repose - what / how do you cut.

thanks

When cutting up models, the best tool ffor the job is a razor saw. Get a good one and it will last you a long time.

For best value, look for a razor saw / mitre box combination.

Once you start using them you won't know how you got along without them!

I use an exacto blade on plastics, just apply the right amount of pressure and the plastic parts seperate cleanly. I wouldnt use a saw on plastics the blade is thick enough to lose a mm or two, I only use this on my metal work. When a blade doesn't work, bring out the saw.

I use dog toenail clippers for thick plastics but a razor blade for thiner ones. It take practice to use but it is effective. A word of warning though, there may be a little bit of dedregation around the edges of your cut. Actually if you dont know what your doing it will kinda ruin things a bit. But some greenstuff will fix it up quickly.

I've done some pretty decent conversions (in my opinion) and Im working on GS... was just hoping there was some super amazing secret cutting blade out there that would make my life a whole lot easier...

Swear by razor saws - you will lose barely a scratch with a good razor saw (ot a jeweller's saw if you can get one) and that will be a smooth cut. I cut through some metal models using it recently - doing bolt-gun swaps and I must say I was incredibly impressed - I could glue the pieces back togetehr straight away...

depends on what i'm cutting.

anything from an exacto type knife for small bits, clippers for hacking off bits or razor saw for cutting through larger things.

Archived