Tengo dos preguntas...

1) Is it safe to use paint markers on minis? I'm looking to use white templar crosses on the shoulder pads, and I can't paint them to save my life...

2) What's the best way to seal my mini? I got some Matte spray stuff from Walmart that says it's for hobbies and crafts, but I used it on a model and it seemingly ate the paint off of it? I checked the can and it doesn't specifically say it can be used on plastics (and come to think of it, neither does the primer...), so should I get something else? Thank goodness it was a test model...

Tengo dos respuestas (I've got 2 replies):

1.- Make sure the markers are alcohol based. However, if they are like the board markers... they might wipe of unless properly varnished.

2.- If you paint acrylic, varnish acrylic :jaw: Probably the varnish you got is smalt (esmalte) based, and that eats the paint.

You can get gloss, matte and semi-matte (satin finish) varnish. Some people use matte varnish after covering the mini with gloss varnish, as the gloss varnish tends to be a bit stronger but most people want a matte finish. So they get more protection and the finish they want.

Whatever brand of varnish you use make sure you always shake it thoroughly and spray on a piece of sprue first to see if you have shaken it enough, if the weather is too hot/cold/moist/windy or if you have to adjust your spraying distance. Nothing is more annoying than ruining a good mini with a frosted or otherwise messed up coat of varnish.

Even though I might sound a little paranoid here, I'm going to say it anyway.

If you brush it on you should still try how it works with your paints. I remember how I once thought "Hey, I have just one model to varnish so I'll do it by hand." Then I found out that the varnish liquified the Ink I used for all the writing on the parchment and the banner of my librarian. :P

Archived