green stuff tutorials?

I hate it. I can't stand it. How any one can do it I'll never know. I hate green stuff. No matter how much I follow every tutorial for it I always end up messing up. How any one can use it is beyond me. I hate it and can't stand it.

First of all you need to cook it down to basics, what exactly do you want to make with greenstuff, gap filling, fur, etc.

Then comes practice, and more practice.

I hate it.
I'm not too fond of it either, but I get by.

How any one can do it I'll never know.
Practice, see above.

I hate green stuff.
I believed you the first time. :)

No matter how much I follow every tutorial for it I always end up messing up.
When that happens I analyse what went wrong and try again. It can be anything from not letting the GS cure a few minutes before starting to work with it, lack of lubrication, to the ratio with which I mixed the putty, to not having the right tools, or simply my lack of skills. All of those can be overcome.

How any one can use it is beyond me. I hate it and can't stand it.
I'm not sure but I think we've been over that already. Maybe Green Stuff isn't for you then? :tu:

Anywho,

Here's a http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=1666 to a tutorial which covers the basics.

And here's some of my early forays into the world of Green stuff:

gallery_11038_675_11179.jpg

gallery_11038_675_19696.jpg

A recent one, with glue warping and everything:

gallery_11038_549_16243.jpg

Your right brother it does require patience. I'm going to stop trying for a while till I can get the right tools and continue to practice than. I'm usually quite a patient person but green stuff just completely broke me. Isn't supposed to stay stuck to the plastic also? And right now I'm trying to take the chaos terminator lords power axe and extending the grip and shaping it into a Thousand Sons looking weapon. Than eventually if I get better at it, add flames as it's supposed to be a deamon weapon.

I hate it. I can't stand it. How any one can do it I'll never know. I hate green stuff. No matter how much I follow every tutorial for it I always end up messing up. How any one can use it is beyond me. I hate it and can't stand it.

Some of the GS stuff I've seen is just amazing, and often the tutorials are cavalier about very difficult techniques. They say things like "just press a few lines into the bottom" without saying that they have to be perfectly spaced lines with the perfect depth.

Practice is good, but also know your skill. Some things are just too hard for me, for example if I try a skull and fail I get sad that I can't sculpt. Even sculpting the soft armor lines can be a pain for me. So start slow and don't assume that just because it's easy for the tutorial guy that it's easy for anyone else, many of those guys went to art school and all the others have practiced for years.

EDIT: Use Vaseline on your sculpting tools. Just that made it WAY easier for me.

• 1 month later...
I feel your pain with GS brother, and I DID go to Art School, and study SCULPTURE! I think Green Stuff is the most unforgiving sculpting material I have ever come across! But then as others have said it is what you're used to. I am used to using a material I can removed from and add to without much difficulty, additionally Im used to working at a larger scale. Perseverance is definately the key, as is patience, which are both very difficult things to maintain as GS is just so frustrating!

One thing I've learnt is to not try and sculpt the finished product in your first go.. ie build everything up in stages. If I'm trying to make a detailed design I wil tryt o bulk out the shape I want first, let that cure for 24 hours and come back to it, then sculpt the detail onto the rough shape. It makes everything so much easier! PM me if you want any more advice! ;)

I agree with the above.

For example, on my khornate daemon prince I used the current daemon prince (NOT the new one) of the undivided variety.

The manner in which he holds his daemon weapon in his right arm was completely off for the look I wanted, which was a wide, completed swing of an axe.

For this I first sawed the arm in half and kept the bottom portion which held the sword (I also removed the sword blade, crossbar and hilt).

I then constructed an upper arm (with an underside, bicep, tricep and shoulder muscle) and pinned it to the bottom arm, green stuffing the join and making it look smooth, and added guitar wire to the arm to give the look as if cabling stretched out along the upper portion. I constructed the arm over 3 days, giving each section of the arm mentioned above plenty of time to set before adding the next.

I then took two old bloodletter axes, sawed the axe heads away, and joined them in the center onto a shaft. After that I took the bloodthirster axe and removed the hilt, pinning that to the bottom of the hand to complete the look as if it were being swung in a wide, decapitating motion. After that I took modeling chain, wrapped it around the daemon's waist a few times and then connected it to the hilt of the axe to make it look as if it really wasn't going anywhere fast.

Just took a bit of an idea, some careful planning, research and a good mix of green stuff.

Don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

Regards,

okay lemme address 2 of your problems, for getting it to stick, I usually have this problem with sculpting tabards and cloth, once I sculpt it on, if if comes loose just put a tiny dab of glue to where you will stick the piece and let the GS cure before touching it again , other wise you will stretch it. Now on keeping the GS lubricated I use petroleum jelly, it doesn't degrade the putty and doesn't dry up, just wipe it off with a q tip once the GS is dry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I to am not the hot on greenstuff, but I'm learning and recently made a break through after a long period of doing it badly and thus limiting myself to only the most superficial gs conversions.

1. Vaseline! Yes you read that right, vaseline on your tools stops them from sticking to the gs. I can now get a relatively smooth finish.

2. Rubber tipped clay shapers, they come in different shapes and sizes and cost almost nothing (£4 from eBay for a selection of 5).

3. A Sharp Xacto, as with the above tools you must put a thin layer of vaseline on the blade so that you trim away excess gs.

Makes the world of difference to me and I'm just getting started.

Archived