Sons of Orpheus

Gree

I'd say yes; it would have been pretty dumb for them to get more angry about the whole situation. the only other thing I can think of is: that the Wolves wouldn't care about having to explain anything to anyone - they are above such things, and the curse of the Wulfen something completely normal. But then, it's your decision.

Protector

My name is Varion Nicanor. Child of Orpheus.

The world of Arbast’s Reach has long held much importance to the chapter. Millennia ago Saint Arbast led a crusade here, to cleanse the planet of the heretical filth that had threated it. In his vanguard marched the Praetors of Orpheus. The blessed saint was killed at the end of his crusade, but not before the planet was conquered and consecrated in his name. A series of great temple-tombs was constructed for the saint and his followers, and a honor guard from the Chapter, ten men, were assigned to the planet to honor the ancient partnership by guarding the Saint’s body.

Arbast’s Reach, named after the Saint, became a thriving planet, specializing in lumber and ore shipments. Now it is a warzone, an alien species called the Tau has come to the planet in order to conquer it for its resources. The chapter would commit itself elsewhere, against more pressing threats, if they did not already have an honor debt here. The honor guard has been slain in the battle against the Tau and the Chapter has responded in kind.

The Third, Sixth and First Companies, fresh from the victory at Dameia, move into orbit. We redeploy rapidly. Atreus leads us in strike after strike, rapidly deploying in orbit to obliterate Tau supply lines and bases. It works, the xenos advance is slowed, but the cost is not inconsiderable. The Tau have all sorts of techno-sorcery and their numbers are great. Currently even with our help the Guard and PDF are barely holding on.

And now the Tau come to the main tomb-shrine of Saint Arbast. The Guard holds on, but they can commit only a small detachment alongside the PDF to defend it. Meanwhile the Tau move in targeting the shrine. They seek to capture it. They know the effect its capture it will have on morale.

In addition the temple-tomb is heavily fortified, equipped with its own set of void shields and anti-air defenses. Powerful communications equipment monitors the rest of the planet, equipment that not even the Tau’s jammers can shut down.

They come for the main shrine. They come for the chapter’s ally. This cannot be allowed.

We come.

Nicanor’s shot blew the head off the Pathfinder. The alien’s body flew back with a thump to land amongst the bushes. A moment later a missile corkscrewed through the forest to tear into the rear of the Devilfish. The alien troop transport spiraled to the ground, smoke issuing out of its wreck as it exploded on the ground. Through the smoke and fire the Pathfinders stumbled through, trying to reach a low copse in order to find cover.

They never got the chance. Apion and Lukias rose up from a ravine and opened fire. Apion’s plasma gun and Lukias’s bolter blazed as they blew apart the remaining Pathfinders in a short storm of firepower.

‘’That’s the third one this day.’’ Ceranus voxed to Nicanor.

The Tau had sent scouts in the place called Saint’s Rest, the term for the main temple-tomb that rested among the forested highlands. A massive temple in a natural rocky fortification surrounded by multiple smaller houses and chapels, it was the crown jewel of the pilgrim route on the planet.

And the Praetors were here to protect it.

A detachment of Arbast PDF, one of the Governor’s personal elite, was here to protect it. PDF they may be, but in Nicanor’s estimation they were more skilled than the average PDF regiment he had encountered in his long experience in war. The Praetors Third Company had set up in the temple, fortifying it where they could and preparing for the Tau assault in the outer forests. Squads had been sent to monitor the expected Tau approaches and eliminate any scouts.

‘’Our patrol is nearing to an end, the day is falling fast.’’ Nicanor looked up. Crimson rays where setting in the distance. It would soon be night.

If tactical reports on the Tau where correct then they utilized nocturnal attacks well. If Squad Nicanor tarried too long they might find themselves in the path of the main Tau attack force. They had done their work well. Now they withdrew.

‘’So soon?’’ Protus asked.

‘’The challenge hasn’t been too much.’’ Heron noted.

‘’Yes, I could stay here for a little while longer’’ Protus nodded, he and his brother where hidden in a deep ditch.

‘’No, we move now, Morovian?’’ Nicanor asked his brother. ‘’Do you have the Rhino prepared?’’

‘’Of course.’’

‘’Everyone, let’s go.’’

The Praetors Rhino rumbled into the camo-netted encampment. Two layers of defense protected the main temple. One was in the surrounding forests, mostly PDF rangers and fast moving 10th Company scouts along with Atreus’s tactical squads. The second would be at the temple itself, with most of the Imperium’s heavy units. The white and blue Rhino rumbled along, sending small animals scurrying. Two camouflaged PDF troopers saluted the Rhino is awe as it passed into their camp. Scores more soldiers paused for what they were doing to look at the vehicle.

The Rhino stopped and the rear door fell to the ground. Squad Nicanor exited, weapons held at ease as their sergeant made his way over to the center of the camp itself. Captain Atreus turned around to meet him. The Captain himself was pouring over a map with Colonel Myers, head of the PDF assigned to the temple. He was clad in his usual ornate artificer armor. Next to him was one of the Eagles of Orpheus, his command squad, holding his comb-crested helmet.

‘’My lord.’’ Nicanor rapped his gauntlet against the azure Aquila in his chest.

‘’We have completed our patrols. Three Tau vehicles have been sighed. Their ‘’pathfinder’’ scouts have all been dispatched as well.’’ Nicanor reported.

‘’We’ve been receiving similar reports from the PDF,’’ Atreus nodded. ‘’Colonel if you will?’’ he gestured to Myers.

Myers was a tall muscular man, short compared to the superhuman bulk of the Praetors, but still hale and healthy looking. Nicanor could see he was faintly sweating and his heart rate was accelerated. He was clearly nervous about being in the presence of the Emperor’s Angels.

‘’My platoons have encountered mounted scouts along with some sort of operational drone as well as the presence of Kroot.’’

‘’Kroot?’’ Nicanor asked.

‘’Yes,’’ Atreus nodded. ‘’As you know from the reports Kroot are highly skilled at fieldcraft. Mostly likely the Tau assault will be precluded by units moving in the forest.’’ he said.

‘’My men have laid traps, although we don’t’ know if it will be enough.’’ Myers said.

‘’I doubt they will penetrate the main temple’s defenses’’ Atreus said. ‘’It’s too well guarded for that. No, my concern is the outlying defenses.’’ he explained to Nicanor.

The sergeant quickly studied the map.

‘’What are those?’’ he asked.

‘’Civilians,’’ Myers said. ‘’Pilgrims who arrived just as the news of the war came and some of the local families and temple-keepers.’’

‘’They are a liability my lord,’’ Nicanor turned to Atreus, ignoring Myers. ‘’You can’t keep them here.’’

‘’We have nowhere else to send them,’’ Myers protested. ‘’Outside they would be at the mercy of the Tau and the elements. The best chance for survival is here.’’

‘’They take up room and would get in the way.’’ Nicanor pointed out.

‘’We would fight harder with them. I am from this area, my family is here as well.’’ Myers replied. Nicanor was impressed that he was actually mustering the courage to argue with him.

‘’Are you suggesting that you need your families for victory?’’ Nicanor asked. For him, just fighting for the Saint’s body was enough.

‘’No, but our courage would be strengthened if our families were with the Saint.’’

‘’Your families.’’ Nicanor corrected him.

‘’Enough Varion.’’ Atreus suddenly spoke up, using the given name of Nicanor. ‘’Enough, we are here to protect these people in addition to the shrine. Besides, it’s too late to move them anyway, and moving them away would damage the morale of the PDF troopers stationed her’’ he said.

Nicanor had no more arguments, at least not for his Captain.

‘’Of course my lord.’’ Nicanor could see Myers wasn’t looking at him.

‘’Now Brother,’’ Atreus switched back to formal address. ‘’Techmarine Silus is requesting a final observation on the vehicles here. Go with him and inspect your Rhino one more time.’’ he ordered.

‘’Yes my lord.’’

‘’Inspection: In-Progress. Time: Ten minutes for complete benedictions of the Machine Spirit.’’ Silus said in a monotone.

The Techmarine was clad in his own customized red armor. One shoulder guard was painted the blue and white of the Praetors with the starburst shield insignia. Hooking over his shoulders was a variety of servo-arms.

Currently he was looking over the Rhino of Squad Nicanor. All around him pasty-skinned servitors attended to his needs, handing him tools and inspecting armor, each of them was clad in red robes.

‘’I understand honored Techmarine.’’ Nicanor nodded and turned to his squad.

‘’What now sir?’’ Ceranus asked.

‘’Brother I don’t wish to waste time here. We wait.’’ Nicanor said.

‘’I would like to visit the Saint’s tomb.’’ Protus suddenly said.

‘’You have not seen it?’’ asked Morovian.

‘’Me neither.’’ Apion added.

‘’It’s been a few decades since I’ve seen the Saint’s tomb. Sir may I visit?’’ Daecus added.

Even though they were wearing helmets Nicanor could feel their eagerness.

‘’Fine, go ahead, but you have ten minutes’’

‘’Yes sir.’’ his squad spit apart as the members strode of into the temple itself, Nicanor had seen the Saint’s body many years ago when he was still a novice. He had little desire to see it again.

‘’Sir? If it’s all right I’ll go inspect the defenses once more.’’

‘’Go.’’ Nicanor waved him on.

Soon, he was alone, apart from Silus and his servitors. But the aloof Techmarine said nothing to him and he was probably too busy with his own work to be busied with chatting with Nicanor. The Sergeant instead went over to a nearby small chapel to collect his thoughts.

The Chapel was one of the smallest ones on Saint’s Rest, mostly reserved for pilgrims who were too poor to attend the main service in the temple itself. It was made of white oakwood and had bronze plates depicting the God-Emperor fitted into the walls. As he entered the chapel radiant light from stained glass windows shone over his armor. Abandoned pews sat lined to one another in neat rows. At the end of the chapel was an empty altar with a double-headed Aquila mounted over it.

It was almost peaceful here, Nicanor reflected. He had holstered his bolter and stood still as a statue in the quiet chapel. In the distance his enhanced hearing could make out the repairs that Silus was conducting.

His enhanced hearing picked up another set of footsteps behind him. These ones where much lighter than any of his brothers or lighter than any of the mortals he had met. It was almost as if it was from….

……a child. A golden-haired child appeared at the end of the chapel. It was a girl, dressed in a brown dress with a white bow in her hair. She appeared to be wandering the chapel, a look of innocence in her eyes, or at least what Nicanor thought to be innocence.

Then she spotted him.

‘’Are you an angel?’’ she asked.

Nicanor didn’t answer.

‘’I made this for you.’’ she lifted something towards him. After a few moments Nicanor reached down with a faint hiss of servos and lifted up the piece of paper.

It was some sort of crude drawing of a stereotypical angel flying above the clouds. Underneath there was the girl, what he assumed to be her mother and what looked like her father.

The father figure looked vaguely familiar, wearing a crude resemblance to a PDF uniform. She was one of the local families here then.

‘’I’m scared. Daddy said he would protect me.’’ she looked at him with blue eyes and tugged at the scabbard of his sword.

‘’Will you protect me and Daddy?’’ she asked. Nicanor gently removed her hand from his scabbard.

He heard more footsteps. A woman in a blue dress appeared at the doorway. Her mother, Nicanor assumed. She rushed over, skirts rustling as she picked up her daughter.

‘’Silvia! What have I told you about going off alone!’’ her voice was panicked. She glanced briefly at him in awe as he focused his gaze upon her.

‘’I’m sorry my lord, she just runs off.’’ the woman said.

‘’You should listen to your mother.’’ Nicanor said, his deep voice echoing off the walls of the chapel.

Then his internal vox activated.

‘’Attention Brother-Sergeant Varion Nicanor,’’ Silus intoned. ‘’Status: Repairs completed.’’

‘’Thank you.’’ he voxed back and sent out a message to his squads as he walked out of the chapel.

A minute later the rest of Squad Nicanor assembled in front of the Rhino. Apion looked at Nicanor.

‘’What’s that?’’ he asked.

Nicanor realized he was still holding the paper.

‘’Nothing.’’ he said as he pocketed it.

The Praetors Rhino rumbled along as vox-reports came in.

‘’Contact at Sector Seven! Tau personnel carriers moving in alongside Fire Warriors!’’ blared a PDF trooper.

Nicanor and his squad took this all in, their enhanced minds processing the battlefield information as beast they could. Even for their augmented minds it would hard to understand exactly what was going on.

They got the rough picture, the Tau and Kroot had made a nocturnal assault only to run into complications. Apparently the local PDF where especially ingenious in their ambushes and traps and with the added might of the Astartes the whole advance was floundering apparently.

‘’Sensor sweep is picking up contacts thirty meters away’’ Daecus announced.

Without words Squad Nicanor filed out. The forest was dark now, night had fallen, the crescent moon shone down below as the Praetors activated their helmet’s infrared settings and swept out into the night ready.

Then a bolter fired.

‘’Contact.’’ Ceranus announced, quickly followed by Lukias and Heron.

Moving through the undergrowth came the Kroot. Nicanor caught sight of a spotted, beak-like face before he blew its head off. Another Kroot died coming in from the right. Whistling rounds tore furrows and chunks out of their power armor as the Praetors stood their ground. The Kroot where coming in fast, using every stich of cover they could in order to flank and close with the Praetors. It was a good attempt, but Nicanor anticipated it and the Praetors fire was already punishing the Kroot as they moved through the night.

Two more Kroot fell back, their chests reduced to scraps of meat by Nicanor’s bolter. Another was vaporized by a shot from Apion’s plasma gun. They were tall things, as tall as the Praetors, but much thinner, covered in whipcord-like muscle. Their faces were avian and quilled. They were dressed in a variety of leathers and xenos skins.

Nicanor’s power sword came free as he activated its field. He beheaded the first Kroot that lunged at him, swinging a rifle-like club as him. The xeno’s head slid from its shoulders and he gutted the next one with his blade. A club rebounded off his shoulder as he sidestepped a blow that would have otherwise taken his head off. His power sword flashed and a Kroot lost an arm, quickly followed by its head as he bisected another armed Kroot coming across.

All around him the Praetors fought off the Kroot assault, Lukias and Protus with knives, Moroivan with his massive fists, Heron, Apion, Daecus and Ceranus with point-blank bolter fire and Rhesus with the barrel of his missile launcher.

And then, seemingly as quickly as they had come, the Kroot fled, bloodied and broken.

‘’Squad Nicanor where are you?’’

Sergeant Paulus’s Devastators sent bursts of heavy bolter fire and krak missiles through the forest. Chips of bark where blown high into the air as a pair of Tau battlesuits exploded in the distance. One Devastator was already dead, slain by a pulse rifle shot through the head. Paulus grunted as another pulse rifle shot burst through a section of weakened ceramite on his knee and forced him to the ground. Current his squad was holding a position with the help of a group of PDF troopers. Tau Fire Warriors had advanced through the undergrowth and attempt to outflank them.

Giant white and blue forms trampled through the bushes. Small trees and bushes where smashed aside by their armored bulk as bolters barked. Fire Warriors fell back, their bodies blasted into bloody chunks by the bolters.

‘’Squad Nicanor is here brother.’’ The voice of his fellow sergeant sounded over the vox-link. It had been hours since the first attack had begun and it was almost midnight.

Nicanor and Protus led the charge. Twenty Fire Warriors turned around and opened fire, but the Praetors where too fast and they had closed too quickly. Nicanor’s power sword flashed and xenos bodies fell to the ground in chunks while Protus went to work with his knife. Daecus tossed a set of frags into another group of Fire Warriors as Lukias led an assault into the remaining Fire Warriors, Heron, Apion, Ceranus, Morovian and Rhesus following him in their assault, Rhesus’s missile launcher slung.

In less than a minute all the Fire Warriors where slain in one brutal assault.

Paulus got up, his armor system injecting painkillers into his system. In the forest the form of Nicanor came up. His comrade’s armor was blasted and pitted all over, stained with xenos’s blood. The pulse rounds of the Tau had left their impression in his war plate.

‘’Status?’’

‘’One slain, we’ve so far resisted them. We’ve lost the Blazing Spear.’’ Paulus gestured to the husk of the support Predator nearby.

Nicanor nodded.

‘’I see-‘’ he began.

‘’Captain! Hostiles!’’ Ceranus shouted, snapping off a shot into the bushes.

Briefly, Nicanor saw nothing, but then a thin ripple of energy sliced across the night and he adjusted his infrared slightly. The faint outline of some sort of Tau battlesuit appeared in his vision, he could barely see an outline though, it was using some sort of cloaking device.

‘’I can’t see any on the auspex’’ Daecus shouted as the world exploded into gunfire. Rotary-mounted cannons blasted the forest around them. Another one of Paulus’s Devastators was blasted to bloody rags by the concentrated fire as Nicanor ran behind a tree.

Meanwhile Apion opened fire at the position where the fire was coming from. There was a bright blue plasma flash and the melted slag of a Tau battlesuit was revealed. Copying their brother the rest of Squad Nicanor shot into the darkness. Another Tau suit exploded, blue blood raining into the night as Nicanor switched his targets and let out another burst. Another suit flickered in the darkness as his shells struck him. Then a volley of fire answered him.

Morovian began to ask something as he fired off his bolter, than a rain of fire from two different sides caught him. For a moment his massive form wavered and then fell to the ground, bloodied and broken.

Nicanor snarled in frustration as he saw Morovian’s life-rune in his helm go blank. His vital signs were gone. Morovian was dead. Nearby Apion stepped up and fired his plasma gun where one of the bursts had come from. For a brief moment a Tau suit was illuminated then vaporized. More bursts knocked Apion back into a tree. Nicanor’s bolter fell silent and he drew his sword once again, immediately a blue glow suffused the blade and he leapt forth. Coming nearer he could see the shape closer through his visor.

The sword flashed and the twin halves of the body fell apart, blood decorating the bushes nearby. More shouts and a grunt of pain came to his right as Rhesus fell down, his left leg blown to bloody rags. More bolter shots filled the night and then the Tau fire stopped.

‘’Daecus, Lukias check the area, I want to know if that’s the last of them.’’ Nicanor commanded. He went over to Morovian’s body and looked it over.

He cursed, the head and chest where blasted apart by repeated pulse rounds. He was definitely dead.

‘’Morovian? Is he-‘’ Protus began.

‘’-Yes’’ Nicanor got up. ‘’Rhesus?’’ he asked.

‘’I’m alive sir,’’ the Astartes gestured to his bloodied leg. ‘’But I can’t move now, it’s almost gone.’’ he mentioned.

Nicanor opened up a vox channel.

‘’Contact has been made with Tau stealth units. Morovian is dead and another man down.’’ he voxed Atreus. After a few moments a reply came in.

‘’ I am currently in a bad situation Brother Nicanor, Kyros has his hands full already. Can your man hold for now?’’

‘’Affirmative, were do you need us?’’

For a few moments there was nothing but the sound of distant weapons fire.

‘’A large band of Kroot overran one of the rear PDF positions, move back to the outer areas of the main temple, if I’m right they should be there.’’

‘’Yes my lord.’’ Nicanor shut of the vox.

‘’Everyone hear that?’’ Nicanor asked.

‘’Of course sir,’’ Lukias came back. ‘’We’ve checked the area, just corpses.’’

‘’Brother, I’ll hold this position and guard Rhesus,’’ Paulus came up. ‘’My orders are to hold this position anyway.’’

Nicanor nodded.

‘’Rhesus?’’ he asked.

‘’Yes sir?’’

‘’We’ll be back for you. Now move out, Apion and Ceranus take point.’’

More weapons fire sounded in the distance as Squad Nicanor moved through the forest, weapons at ready. Morovian’s death had hit Nicanor hard, but he kept it under control. Only the battle mattered now.

‘’Dead PDF.’’ Protus noted as they came across butchered corpses they looked like they had been hacked apart by knives or clubbed to death. Many had chunks of meat missing in various portions. Heron made a disgusted noise.

‘’The Tau are bad enough as xenos, but these Kroot? Even lower than animals.’’

Nicanor had to agree with them.

‘’Contact.’’ Ceranus said. In front of the Praetors a Kroot was bending over a corpse and taking it apart with its knife. It looked up, dark alien eyes widening in shock as it gave a surprised squawk before Ceranus blew its head off.

As soon as Ceranus had done that more growls and shapes emerged from the darkened trees ahead. Slugs began to impact off power armor as the shapes of the Kroot appeared, firing at the Praetors. Apion returned fire, vaporizing two Kroot and the tree they were hiding behind. Bolters replied to the Kroot gunfire and xenos where blasted apart as the Praetors moved forward ruthlessly in an assault formation, with Protus and Daecus providing cover fire for their brothers, rapidly the Kroot retreated from the bushes.

Then leaping animals came out from the bushes. Huge avian hounds with quilled heads, they rushed at the Praetors quickly, before any bolters could be brought up to shoot them. Nicanor’s sword swept out and he cut one in half midair as the rest attacked the Praetors. Protus and Daecus came in, knives flashing as they helped drive the hounds back. Heron staggered, a chunk of his thigh armor ripped away and the meat under it mutilated by a powerful bite He slugged the beast in the face. Ceranus’s augmetic arm was torn away as the hand as he beat the Kroothound over the head with his bolter.

It lasted ten seconds, but the fight felt like an hour as the Praetors drove the Kroothounds off. Over a dozen corpses littered the floor alongside their Kroot masters as the last few hounds bounded off into the night.

Lukias managed to shoot one as they left. It was small consolation.

Nicanor looked around, it had been some sort of attempted ambush, however the Kroot had obviously underestimated the Praetors and got more than they had bargained for. Still the Astartes where banged up pretty badly, their armor would need a major overhaul by the chapter serfs.

‘’Movement up ahead, by the chapel house there. Silus reports he’s driven off his attackers. They should be near there.’’ Daecus looked back up form the auspex. Nicanor voxed a moment for information, then nodded.

Up ahead was the chapel. Sounds of fighting and screaming came from the place along with alien snarls. At the faintest edges of his enhanced hearing he heard some sort of strange footsteps around the house.

A large ape-like beast came loping out. It had an avian face and a Kroot balanced on top of its muscular back holding into a gun that was bolted into the beast’s back. It fired it and Protus fell back, cursing as his shoulder guard was ripped away. The Kroot barely had a moment to move the gun to a new target before a shot by Apion vaporized the Kroot and its steed. The plasma gun it the marine’s hand began to hiss and overheat as Apion cursed.

Suddenly the night was filled with Kroot coming around the house. Immediately Nicanor opened fire along with the rest of his brothers. For a split second over a dozen Kroot where downed before the thing became a confusing melee.

Nicanor’s power sword hacked down Kroot after Kroot, bladed clubs tearing strips of ceramite from his armor as the Praetors hacked and shot through the swirling melee. Up ahead Nicanor saw a Kroot fire off a shot from the chapel and disappear. Angry that the xenos dared defile a house of the Emperor, Nicanor leapt forward as Lukias and Heron covered him with their knives. Nicanor smashed through the remnants of the doors and into the chapel itself.

A Kroot leapt as him, claws spread out to grapple him. He shot it point blank, throwing the bloodied xenos back. Two more leapt over the pews. One struck the Praetor with blinding speed, smashing apart the azure eagle on his chest. Nicanor beheaded him and gored the other one through the chest.

As he threw the corpses away he noticed terrified sobs. Feminine sobs. Kneeling at a nearby pew at the end of the chapel, was the little girl and a set of bloodied corpses. For a moment Nicanor realized who they were.

Then a Kroot merged from the darkness, standing over her with its rifle club. It raised its club and Nicanor sped into action. With his bolter dry and no time to reload he had only one option. He hit the Kroot like a freight train and sent it flying into the altar, tearing down the double-headed eagle with its sheer force.

Nicanor leapt over its corpse, stabbing downward with his power sword, gutting the Kroot through the chest. The thing hacked up blood before dying and then Nicanor turned to look at the girl nearby.

Her face was streaked with blood and tears, and she was traumatized, but she was alive. Then she looked up at him and screamed. Nicanor whirled around, but it was too late.

Something blurred from the shadows with a speed that not even the other Kroot could match. The Shaper swung its blade club at Nicanor’s head. The Astartes barely managed to get out of the way as the blow connected, tearing onto his helm.

He fell back, pain blasting his head as his visor fuzzed up. He tore it off just in time to see the Shaper raise the blade club up again. Nicanor raised his power sword to counter the blow and the blade cut through the blade club and the forefinger of the Shaper’s left hand. The Kroot screamed and kicked the sword out of Nicanor’s hands and leapt on him. Its bloodied hands grasped at his throat and began to strange the Praetor. Nicanor’s power armor wheezed and protested as he grabbed the Shaper’s arm and forced him away.

The avian face stabbed forward, grazing his forehead. Nicanor welled up his glands in his mouth, accessing the acidic salvia glands there that all pure sons of Guilliman had. He spat out, his spittle raking over the Kroot’s face and throat. The Shaper fell back, bloodied claws scrambling at the floor as it stared at Nicanor with hate-filled eyes. It leapt back again, its hand punching through Nicanor’s chest armor, sending shards of ceramite splintering through his chest. Nicanor coughed up blood and then kicked the Shaper away.

Rolling away Nicanor looked for the nearest weapon he could find. It was a PDF knife, at the side of one of the corpses. The face of the girl filled his bloodied vision for a moment before Nicanor grabbed the PDF knife and moved forward. The Shaper leapt up like a spring and hit the sergeant’s chest. Nicanor felt pain flood his body even as his armor strolled to pump his form with painkilling drugs. He thrust the knife forward, into the Shaper’s ribs and into its heart.

The avian xenos screeched and kicked at Nicanor, denting his power armor where the Kroot kicked, but Nicanor grabbed the xenos’s neck with both arms and twisted around with all his servo-assisted strength.

With a snap the Kroot’s head twisted around at an unnatural angle. Nicanor tossed the bloodied form of the Shaper away and fell to the ground.

Pain engulfed his very being, the fight with the Shaper had pushed him more than any other foe, save perhaps for the Alpha Legion Champion had had fought over two years ago. He fell to his knees, blood dripping over his vision.

He then felt the soft hands of the girl touch his face as she hugged him closely, sobbing with fear and anguish. For a moment Nicanor was stricken, he had no idea what to do. Making war was one thing, but confronted with a young crying girl he had no idea how to react.

He didn’t know what to do.

At the end of the chapel Lukias entered, his armored slicked with alien blood. ‘’The enemy had been annihilated Brother-sergeant, what?-‘’ he said, looking upon the strange sight.

Nicanor looked up at him and carried the girl gently as he was able to.

‘’Get my weapons Lukias, get the girl to safety and then we return to the fight.’’

The girl’s name was Silvia Tarren. Her father was a PDF private who deserted his post to find her and her mother a local gardener. They are both dead. She is an orphan now. I don’t know how to emphasize her.

She’s weak and scared, but I cannot blame her for she is merely s a small child. I asked Myers to change the records of her father to dying at his post, in order to retain her honor. It’s the least I can do for her.

She’s going off to the Schola I guess. There will be certainly a lot wartime orphans now.

Ah yes…………………the war.

The Tau where defeated when morning came when the First Company teleported in and launched a rear assault. Caught between two Imperial forces the Tau where all slaughtered. The temple was protected and it was a handsome victory. The war will go on, but the Tau are now on the losing side. They lost their chief commander at Saint’s Reach from the reports I read. A large chunk of their force was also loss and the forces of the Emperor have the advantage.

My squad is recovering. Apion and Daecus are badly wounded from the Kroot assault, practically to near-death, but they will recover in time. Ceranus, Lukias and Heron all suffered severe wounds but they will recover quicker. Rhesus lost a leg and will be getting a new one.

Morovian is dead. It’s strange now to fight without his presence. And yet………..

I feel more sorrow for the girl for some reason. Morovian was my battle brother, yet I feel more pity for the girl.

Is it because Morovian was Astartes and fated to die violently on the battlefield? Is it because I expected it? Is it because the girl is a mere civilian and had no right to see such horrors?

I don’t know.

Author's Notes: Well this is a rather quick update. Anyway is people are wondering I always imagined Silus talking like Soundwave from Transformers. That was a seriously awesome voice.

Wow...this one was particularly good!!!

I simply loved the part about the girl and Nicanor, really brilliant ;)

The Tau are well portrayed, though the Fire Warriors appeared a little disorganized, not using the full potential of Tau training and technology. In fact, that would be my only criticism: the Tau technology could have featured a little more (though you did make up for that by using the Stealth suits, very good part). You portrayed the Kroot very well, loved it :lol:

Shame about Morovian, but I guess even the coolest veterans don't live forever...

In any case, GREAT work :)

P.S.: Remind me again, who is wearing which armour mark suit? Was it Apion with MkVI, Nicanor with MkIV and the rest with MkVII? Isn't someone also wearing an MkII or III? Just like to know so I can imagine the guys better when I read the story ;)

The Tau are well portrayed, though the Fire Warriors appeared a little disorganized, not using the full potential of Tau training and technology. In fact, that would be my only criticism: the Tau technology could have featured a little more (though you did make up for that by using the Stealth suits, very good part). You portrayed the Kroot very well, loved it :lol:

Well Squad Nicanor appeared only for part of the battle. Most of the high Tau technology was faced by Atreus and the First Company.

P.S.: Remind me again, who is wearing which armour mark suit? Was it Apion with MkVI, Nicanor with MkIV and the rest with MkVII? Isn't someone also wearing an MkII or III? Just like to know so I can imagine the guys better when I read the story :)

Lukias has MkIV, Daecus has MkVI, Rhesus has a MkIII suit. Heron has a MkII helm, but the rest is MkVII. Everyone else has MkVII.

You've spelt "were" wrong all the times you used the word; you've put "where" instead.

My spellchecker kept on changing it though, I don't know why. Thanks man, I'll try and change it as soon as I can.

D you have any other comments for the story.

Thanx for reminding me who wears what ;) I love the different power armour variants, particularly MkII-III!

So, when's the next story up? Any ideas?

I don't know, I just read the Dark Eldar codex, so I'm thinking up all sorts of ideas.

I absolutely love your work Gree, especially the sons of orpheus series (probably cuz I play the praetors :P). Keep up the good work ;)

Thanks, it's good to know that people play lesser known chapters.

• 2 months later...

Night of Fate

The Praetors have come to Cerdian Alpha.

It is an agri-world, a place of vast grain fields and grox farms. Its sole purpose is to produce foodstuff for the Orpheus sector at large. Twenty worlds, including our Chapter Planet, depend on its exports. We cannot afford to lose it.

Cerdian Alpha lately has come under an ork assault. The greenskins have appeared out of the warp, bleeding and destroying this planet. Chapter Master Hypatos himself has decree that this planet cannot suffer these raids any longer.

Four companies descend upon Cerdian Alpha. The First, the Second, the Third and the Sixth, led by the Chapter Master himself. They come aboard the Arclight and Guilliman's Blade alongside an Imperial Guard battlegroup. We strike like a hammer into the greenskin horde.

I have killed greenskins many, many times before. After the first few days of bloody combat it begins to blur into one. Already the Chapter Master has led the First and the Second against the heart of the greenskin horde and slew the warboss. The war cannot last long now, the back of the greenskin army is broken.

But there are problems in leaving here. Mysterious unnatural storms have come up, cloaking the planet in darkness, making it harder to leave by orbit. We of the Third Company are stuck in the city of Monar with the Guard while the vast electomagnetic storms abate.

Varion Nicanor watched as the rain came pouring down again. Howling winds came over the vast fields the surround the city of Monar. Truthfully to call it a city would be a stretch, he thought. Nicanor had been to hive worlds and the forge-cities of the Mechanicus. This collection of houses and processing mills hardly qualified as a city in his mind.

But the Praetors had little choice. Some sort of severe electromagnetic disturbance had prevented the Thunderhawks from extracting the Third Company here until proper orbital extraction can come. Eventually the Techmarines would adapt the Thunderhawks to properly operate, but it would take days.

Days of nothing to do.

The greenskin marauders had been effectively gutted by the Astartes and then finished of by the Guard. Cerdian Alpha was safe, for now. Nicanor had no doubt that he would eventually have to return eventually. War was constant.

He stood in front of a building. It was once some sort of massive silo-house. Now it was converted into a hospital for the Guard. Hundreds of wounded soldiers where sheltered at the edges of the city. There were many more houses with wounded guardsmen and PDF in them. The city of grain was now a giant hospital.

The Astartes kept their own wounded separate of course. Apothecary Kyros and his various apprentices had their hands full in treating the wounded. Losses against the greenskins had been few, the lightning war taking place too quickly for the full strength of the ork warhost to be brought to bear.

Nicanor had left his squad behind, having been granted some time off from the patrol shifts. His currently understrength squad was already resting in their Rhino. However Nicanor had a different sort of objective in mind. He came out of the darkness and the rain, showing himself to the hospital sentries. They were guardsmen of the Cadian regiment, clad in the same mottled brown camouflage that most of the Guard regiments had adopted for fighting on Cerdian Alpha.

''Sir Astartes?'' one asked.

''I'm here to visit.'' Nicanor said.

Yalen looked up in disbelief.

''Why did you come?'' he asked.

''Out of curiosity.'' Nicanor looked down on him. He still hadn't removed his helmet.

''I thought Astartes didn't feel curiosity.''

''We feel more than you can think'' Nicanor replied, looking around. Most of the other beds where filled with sleeping Guardsmen, only Yalen and a few others where awake. And those men where Cadians, men who had seen Astartes before and had even fought beside them.

Nicanor knew this regiment. The 132nd had fought alongside the Praetors at Sathis III, an agri-world much like this one, in a conflict much like the one fought before. The orks had been defeated then and they had been defeated now. Normally Nicanor would not give such sentimental thoughts while he was on duty. But now the war had been finished and he was unable to leave to the next one. So Nicanor decided to indulge that human part of him, that curious part of him.

Yalen himself was on the bed, his leg gone from knee down. An ork blade had taken it. As an officer a bionic replacement was likely, especially as the 132nd was considered one of the more famed regiments of the local battlegroup. Nicanor looked over at the Lieutenant's possessions, noting a picture of a girl, around twelve or thirteen Terran years old. She had the same green eyes and black hair as Yalen did. He looked at the Lieutenant curiously.

''Your daughter?'' he asked.

''Yeah.'' the Lieutenant shifted to look at the picture. Nicanor's mind flashed to the girl on Arbast's Reach, the child of the PDF soldier.

''Is she on Cadia?''

''No, she's here, in the troopships actually. Her mother is a camp follower.'' Yalen replied.

Nicanor knew of the baggage trains that followed Imperial Guard regiments. Whores, cooks, porters, the disabled and more where essential for a Guard regiment to operate. Even the highly disciplined Cadians had their camp followers.

''So she's not a soldier?'' Nicanor asked.

''No she's just a child. Oh, you mean the Cadian training. No. She's not Cadian born truly and not Guard material. I don't ever plan to see in the regiment.'' Yalen confessed.

''I see.'' the idea of romantic love was alien to Nicanor or having an offspring. He knew of the mechanics of how humans had sex, but the actual process was nothing more than a clinical observation for him. He couldn't even imagine himself doing it. He had no thoughts of lust whatsoever.

''And how are you feeling? Aside from the obvious limb loss.'' Nicanor asked.

''Just dandy. I've already talked it over with the Major, I'll be getting an augmetic replacement as soon as these storms go away.'' Yalen commented.

Something kept on tugging at Nicanor's mind.

''What's her name?' he asked.

''Oh? My daughter? It's-''

Yalen was cut off by a scream.

Nicanor's head snapped around as his enhanced senses heard footsteps and the screams of humans. He held up a hand for silence as he heard more shapes coming in stealthy in the lower levels. They were being attacked. But by whom?

Nicanor checked his armaments and noted he only had his power sword. He was not expecting any kind of attack otherwise. He looked around and spotted a lasgun by a soldier's bed, quickly Nicanor checked it out and looked at the charge reading by the side.

''I'll be borrowing this'' he said to the shocked Guardsmen.

''What's happening?'' Yalen asked.

''I don't know.'' Nicanor answered moving down the reinforced steel stairs that groaned under his weight. He mentally cursed. Anyone could hear that, he just hoped that whoever was butchering the wounded downstairs was too busy with their activities than to notice him.

He activated his squad vox, trying to find help. Nothing but static answered him. Something was interfering with the signal. Briefly he tried another set of signals just as he finished coming down the stairs. Once he came down into the lower level he spotted long, lithe figures slashing apart wounded Guardsmen in their beds. Nicanor's finger curled around the lasgun's trigger, feeling the tiny unfamiliar object. He squeezed it and took one of the figures through the head.

The corpse fell back, black eyes open with shock. Others stepped what they were doing and focused on him. Nicanor recognized them as Eldar, ones part of the piratical sub-breed. They looked at him for a moment before springing into action.

They were black blurs in the night. Nicanor downed two more with accurate shots before they were upon him. Shots from splinter rifles went for his armor joints while the Eldar whipped out knives, aiming for the weaker-armored potions of his warplate.

Nicanor's power sword flashed out as one Eldar ducked the blade, another beheaded an Dark Eldar who approached from the right. Nicanor lashed out with a gauntlet. One of the Dark Eldar evaded the blow with an alien laugh before lunging back in with a knife.

But that was what Nicanor was waiting for. Nicanor grabbed the alien and snapped its back with a bearhug. He cast the corpse aside before leaping over the corpse of a dead guardsman to land near a group of Dark Eldar fighting at him. He bisected another one with his blade before impaling another. A knife cut deep into the back of his knee, penetrating the bodysuit there, before he lashed out with a donkey kick, crushing the Eldar's skull.

Two more Dark Eldar died in the bloody dance. Eventually there was only one last Eldar, who leapt back with inhuman agility, avoiding every one of Nicanor's blows. He opened fire with a splinter pistol, trying to aim for his eye lenses.

Then the Eldar dropped dead, a las-round through the skull. Nicanor stopped to see the form of Yalen at the top of the stairs, a cane in one hand and a laspistol in the other. The Lieutenant slowly limped down, leading heavily on his cane.

''Sir? Sir is that you?'' one of the few surviving Guardsmen said. Nicanor recognized a corporal's insignia.

''Yes, West, it's me.'' Yalen looked at Nicanor and then at the corpses. The Astartes was busy checking around for any more ambushers, but their seemed to be none.

''Eldar, the piratical breed. I've fought them before, attacking the wounded to carry off for their torture pits is exactly their typical behavior. These storms must be there work.'' Nicanor judged.

''Are they trying to conquer the city? How big is the enemy force?'' Yalen asked.

''No, they are raiders, and I don't know how many they could be. From my experience they would probably go after the wounded and the defenses. There is a full Astartes Battle Company in this city. Going by past Eldar behavior they will avoid us and go after the sick and wounded.'' Nicanor reasoned.

''Well they obviously didn't expect you to be here eh?'' Yalen noted.

Nicanor shook his head and then looked at his leg wound where the knife had got him. There was another wound in his left elbow. Nicanor cursed. The Dark Eldar coated their weapons in poisons, and although he had an Astartes's enhanced immunity to poisons, enough of them and even he would be felled.

He could already feel his body slowing down as the xenos poisons ravenged his systems. He needed an Apothecary, he needed Kyros.

''Nicanor?'' Yalen asked.

''The weapons are coated in poison, if you get cut you are as good as dead for a normal human, well technically speaking you are completely immobilized for them to take away, but here, these men with their wounds? They are as good as dead.'' Nicanor mentioned to the few survivors.

Most could not even speak for their bodies had been frozen by the Dark Eldar poison, their flesh warped and discolored. Some looked with wild eyes.

''What can we do for them-'' Yalen huffed as he stumbled on one leg. Nicanor came over and caught him, lifting up the Lieutenant.

''Go quickly, the Eldar will be coming for you, get those men who can fight and give them weapons.'' Nicanor said.

''And you?''

''I need to contact the rest of my chapter.''

''Slay them! Guilliman watches us!'' bellowed Iapetos. His crozius blazed as he pulped the head of a warp beast that leapt at Squad Nicanor. The Squad's bolters roared again as they gunned down several more warp beasts.

''Eldar warriors flanking from the sides with weapons.'' Voxed Heron to the rest of the Praetors, Rhesus nodded and swept his heavy bolter around, showering the advancing figures with heavy bolter fire as they darted among the trees.

Getting a lock on the Dark Eldar was difficult, for all their agility they were not stupid and kept their distance. Currently Squad Nicanor was pinned down near their Rhino by multiple groups of Dark Eldar and warbeasts.

The Eldar attack had been a surprise and Third Company had to dig in and await reinforcements from the rest of the Chapter if they could hope to survive. Atreus was able to send out a brief message before the rest of the Praetors where attacked.

Overall it was looking poorly, thought Lukias. He had attempted to raise Nicanor over the vox, but the Sergeant's messages had been garbled. Lukias would have thought him dead if not for his life sighs still read green in the tactical readouts of his helm.

''Brother!'' pointed out Apion as he let loose another flamer burst. '' Lukias saw what he meant.

Another black armored skiff escorted by multiple bike-riding Eldar came around the corner. A beam of pure darkness came forth and the Rhino that they were taking shelter near exploded into bits of flaming metal.

Squad Nicanor weathered the assault, but that did not stop the jetbikes from flying overhead, firing off their splinter cannons. Apion fell back, flamer sputtering promethium as one of them swopped in enough to cut him in the neck.

''Apion!'' cried Lukias. He fired off a brief burst, downing a jetbike before risking a look at his brother. Apion was bleeding from the neck for a few moments before his Larraman cells began to staunch the wound.

Rhesus brought his heavy bolter up, blowing two more jetbikes out of the sky. However the Raider jinked when several heavy bolter shells chewed up its side. Smoking the Eldar skiff flew off, several figures leaping form the sides. They were slender females, scantily clad in what seemed to be armored bodygloves or stylized gladiator suits. However despite their fragile appearance Lukias knew them to Eldar close combat specialists and very deadly.

One of them, a leader by her spiked and greased hair, raised her weapon and gestured her sisters forward. Then Ceranus blew her head off with a carefully aimed shot. However that did not stop the rest of the wyches from leaping over the rubble and darting their ways towards the Praetors.

''Protus take the flamer from Apion.'' Lukias instructed, and as his brother scrambled to do so Lukias ordered the rest of the squad to divide their fire.

It didn't work, the wyches were even quicker than their other brethren and in the rubble of the ruined park it was easy for them to close rapidly with the Praetors, eventually Lukias and his men would be forced into close combat.

Then there came a screaming noise as ten Astartes warriors came crashing down from the air, fire trailing from their jump packs. Assault Squad Atavian landed with a thud among the rubble, their flamer bearers sending out jets of promethium, incinerating the approaching form of a white and blue Land Raider rumbled through the foliage along with a pair of Predators who opened fire upon the Dark Eldar among the ruins. The Eldar fled back under the punishing firepower.

''Captain Atreus? Is that you?'' Lukias voxed.

''Affirmative brother.'' The front doors of the Land Raider slammed down and Atreus, fully cloaked and armored, came out weapons at ready. Behind him was tactical squad Iulus, bolters at ready.

Atreus looked around.

''Where is Nicanor?'' he asked.

''He was visiting the nearby hospital when the attack came.'' Daecus said.

Atreus was silent for a moment when he took in this information.

''That's not good, I needed him leading this squad, most of my command is scattered.''

''And the Guard?'' Iapetos asked.

''Their command is shot to hell, I'm trying to reach them, but it's difficult.'' Atreus stated.

''What do we do know?'' Lukias asked him.

''Nicanor was at the hospital you say? Then we will find Eldar there, and perhaps our lost brother. Now come.''

Nicanor's armor ran through his diagnostics. The Praetors groaned as he leaned against the wall. His immune system was holding off the various cocktail of xenos drugs, but it still hurt and numbed his limbs. What's worse was that he had no bolter.

''Nicanor?'' Yalen asked. He had brought a few dozen men together in the central sanitarium. Most of them were able bodied enough to hold a gun. The few that could where brought in the center of the sanitarium.

''I'm fine for now.'' Nicanor said, clutching his power sword. He still had his blade, and a lasgun, although the thing felt pitifully small.

Nicanor could smell the nervous sweat and fear of the guardsmen through his helmet's olfactory sensors It was one thing to fight on a battlefield fully healthy and armed, but hastily equipped and in a dark hospital was completely different.

Yalen was tough, despite having lost an a leg. If he had been born on Orpheus, Nicanor was sure he would have been made into an Astartes. He possessed the right kind of steel required to become one.

''Did you hear that?'' one of the men asked suddenly. Nicanor did, it was a low, keening sound. The Astartes held up a hand and all the Guardsmen quieted. Slowly Nicanor stepped forward, his armor's sensors sweeping around for any kind of sound.

Then something huge burst through the wall, sending chips of plaster flying about. It was a massive, skinless beast, with glistening red muscle and horns. It vaguely resembled some sort of monstrous wolf or dog with rows of dagger-like teeth.

It leapt at Nicanor, knife-like teeth digging into his gauntlets. Nicanor's blade took it through its midsection and he kicked it off. He fired of another las round as the warp-stink wafted into the place. Reality itself was being open here and Nicanor could feel it. Another crimson warp beast exploded as the guardsmen began to fire into the darkness. Red-eyed nightmares jumped out of the shadows to snatch guardsmen to pieces and carry them off with bladed claws.

Then suddenly Yalen appeared beside Nicanor as he killed another warp beast. He shouted something to Nicanor, but it was lost in the din of battle. The one-legged Guardsmen was hurled back by a lashing tail of a scorpion like beast. The beast's tail snaked forward to kill Yalen, but Nicanor's sword countered it, severing the tail in two. A foul smell hit the air as blue fluids stained the ground. A quick reserved sword stroke took the beast through the head.

And then Nicanor felt a pain in his other led as another set of figures came through the darkness. He saw a tall lithe figure pirouette through the air away from his sweeping blade. It was an Eldar wych, one of their gladiator close combat specialists.

She smelled of blood, fear and alien chemicals. She wore a black bodysuit with various pieces of metal interlocking and linking in strategic areas. It was an armor designed to show off more of the wearer's physique then to offer any real protection. Her face was high-browed and narrow, like the rest of the Eldar species. Her skin was pale as Nicanor's own armor and her hair was night-dark and flowing over his shoulders. Her lips were blood red and she gave off a smirk before she moved at him and cut him again.

Nicanor mentally swore as he was forced back again, the poisons where slowing his body. Similar companions came out of the darkness, cutting down many of the Guardsmen as they blurred with inhuman speed.

There was more xenos laughter and a multi-pronged trident dove into his wounded leg once more, casting him to the floor again. An electrified net was cast over his helm and another set of knives pierced through the weak point on his armpit.

They were trying to take him prisoner he realized. A prisoner for their gladiatorial pits. He lashed out with rage, anger fueling his superhuman strength. He tore off the net painfully and lashed out. One slender arm came flying away and a wych jumped away striking. Another Wych came at him with her knives, but Nicanor barely was able to read her attack pattern and behead her with one stroke of his sword. Her corpse toppled to the ground as the rest descended upon him.

Pain blasted through his gauntlet as a wych impaled it on a spear. The more pain blossomed through his chest as he looked down at his torso. A power blade slipped through the azure eagle carved there. He was dimly aware of someone behind him.

''You have given us much trouble.'' said a feminine voice. It sounded like an Eldar voice being backed up by some artificial tone. Probably a translator Nicanor realized.

''You will make an excellent fighter in the pit.'' The voice continued, as Nicanor lashed out, however he was far too slow to catch her. Quickly he took the view of an Eldar female with an ornate headdress of some kind and a shimmering powerblade still wet with Astartes blood.

''Now finish him.'' she commanded.

''I will join you.'' Atreus said as the Praetors hopped off the Predators. Lukias's squad would have preferred to take a Rhino, but however they did not have the luxury and his squad was forced to take a short trip on the Predators.

Gunfire sounded as darkly-armored Eldar warriors appeared outside the hospital building. Lukias could smell human blood on the wind and near alien shouts. He looked over to see Atreus leaping from the Land Raider hatch, weapons at ready.

''My lord?''

''Come with me. Iapetos, Iulus and Atavian are taking care of the rest. Let's find our lost sergeant.'' He commanded, blue cloak flowing behind him. Protus took point with the flamer, Apion having to go to the Land Raider for protection.

The inside of the hospital was a charnel house, with the bodies of slain Guardsmen and Dark Eldar strewn across the floor. Broken lights flickered above and Protus kicked a severed leg out of the way as Daecus scanned the place with his auspex.

''Daecus?' asked Lukias.

''Up a level.'' He said. Protus rushed up the stairs the reinforced steel beams groaning under his weight. He pushed open and door and looked down a hallway, his superhuman senses quickly detecting multiple bodies near. The rest of his squad followed.

''Brother!'' Lukias spotted Varion Nicanor bloodied and on his knees before a group of heavily-armored Eldar females. The Eldar had already spotted them and where reacting quickly, darting towards the Praetors.

''I'm sorry.'' Protus said, recognizing that he had no other choice.

He squeezed the trigger.

A gout of fire issued forth and engulfed the wyches. In the tight confines of the room, the wyches were unable to avoid the funnel of flames that engulfed them. Burning promethium burned flesh off bones as they screamed in their death throes.

Ceranus and Lukias put them out of their misery with single shot bolter rounds to the head.

Nicanor then collapsed to the ground, flames blackening and licking off his armor plate. Behind him was the living, but scorched body of the one-legged guard officer that Nicanor had moved to shield with his bulk.

''Get Nicanor out of here.'' He commanded.

''Sir we have one more life-sigh here.'' Daecus mentioned, looking over his auspex. He indicated an unconscious Guardsman with only one leg.

''Take him too.''

The battle did not end with a decisive lightning blow. Instead the Eldar simply withdrew as the night pressed on. For days afterword both Astartes and Guard analyzed the battle and went over the entire flow. Eventually they came to the conclusion that the Eldar withdrew because it was not profitable.

The Eldar's main strategy for dealing with the Astartes was simply keeping them busy while the Eldar went after the wounded and defenseless. To an extent, this had worked. Few Praetors had been killed, but thousands of civilians and wounded had been taken prisoner. But when the Eldar had encountered unforeseen resistance among the hospitals, they began to take heavier losses than anticipated. It was theorized that the aliens, having already taken plenty of prisoners, decided to simple cut their losses and run.

Technically speaking it was a victory for the Imperium. Atreus had preserved his company and most of the city. But nobody really felt like it was one. The Eldar had come in almost under the noses of the Astartes and taken what they wanted.

Lieutenant Yalen was one of the only two survivors of his Medicae faculty. He was eventually sent back to the 132nd where he would make a full recovery. The other survivor, Sergeant Varion Nicanor of the Praetors of Orpheus, was taken into orbit when the storms cleared up and placed in extensive care under the Praetors' Apothecaries.

Varion Nicanor dreamed.

Maybe it was the drugs in his system, or maybe it was some sort of longing, but he dug up memories that were ancient. Memories that he had repressed for decades with hypno-indoctrination and training.

He remembered the cold, spartan hallways of his hab-block where he and his family had lived for the first decade of his life on Orpheus Prime. He remembered all the other families in the collective. It was located in a place called Valion Secundus, one of the many cities on Orpheus.

He lived deep underground, as had most inhabitants. His father, as much as he could remember it, was a factory worker, who helped produce the heavy equipment used for mining purposes. His mother was a PDF officer.

His mother taught him to shoot, before he was set off to the InDoc camps on the Orphic Primus. It seemed almost ironic to him that he could not remember her face. He couldn't remember his own mother's face. He could remember everything since he had become an Astartes, but he could only recall hazily his pre-Astartes days.

His father…he had not known his father well. His father worked from morning till nightfall at the factory and came home late at night. He could not remember his father's face either at all. As much as he could it was simply a blur.

And he had a brother. A younger brother. Varro. Varro Nicanor. That was his name. Someone that mother was teaching how to fight, how to join the Emperor's PDF and perhaps even the Astartes's ranks.

But, Nicanor didn't count him as a brother anymore. Lukias, Protus, Heron, Daecus, Apion and Rhesus where his brothers now. He had no desire otherwise to change that.

This did Nicanor dream on and on.

He awoke three days later aboard Guilliman's Blade, the poisons purged from his body. For three days he had been told, he was wracked in a fever-induced hallucination while the Apothecaries worked on his body in order to save him.

He walked now, with Lukias down a viewport. In the distance Cerdian Alpha glimmered. Other ships of the Chapter fleet hung silently in the void outside. The Chapter had withdrawn its warriors once it became clear that the Dark Eldar had indeed left for good.

''We apologize about the whole ''flaming you'' thing.'' Lukias had said quietly.

''It's fine, I'm not punishing you for it. If anything I should be punished for not being there.'' Nicanor said.

''We don't blame you. Nobody could have expected it. Nobody blames you for seeing that Guardsman.'' Lukias said.

''I blame myself, for leaving you behind. You are my squad.'' Nicanor sighed.

Lukias stopped and grabbed his brother's arm.

''Varion.'' He said quietly. Lukias never used first names. ''Stop it. You are an Astartes of the Praetors. Stop moping like this, it's unbecoming.''

''I was not moping.''

''Then pick whatever term you prefer. I and my brothers look up to you for strength. You've always inspired us in the past.''

''I am just a line sergeant.''

''You're more than that Varion, we need you.'' Lukias argued.

''You're a child of Guilliman, analytical, disciplined and honorable. We pride ourselves on our devotion to duty. The Templars are full of anger and arrogance, the Fists scar themselves and the Hands purge their bodies, but we don't do that.'' His second-in-command continued.

Nicanor sighed. ''I suppose your right. I was there, wounded and trapped. I would have been carted off to the xenos's gladiatorial pits if you hadn't arrived to save me.''

''You have already killed several. Do you thirst for more vengeance?''

''Of course.'' Nicanor nodded. ''I am to pay them back if we ever see them again.'' His fists clenched unconsciously.

''And we will brother, we will.'' Lukias assured him.

''I know. Lukias?'' he asked.

''Yes brother?''

''Once Apion and Protus are out of the Apothecarion tell them to meet with the others. Tell them to meet me with full armor and weapons in the training halls.'' Nicanor commanded.

''Working off stress?''

''No, reforging ourselves.''

''Yes sir.'' Inside Lukias smiled. The old Nicanor was back.

Two days later Nicanor walked into the Hall of Ancients.

The Chapter Master had been furious over the Dark Eldar's attack. He instructed the Librarians of the chapter to scry for the future while he and his Captains went over the logic engines, trying to figure where the Eldar raiders would strike first. They had received further reports of the same fleet attacking planets in the sub-sector.

Nicanor himself hoped for action against them. He wanted to redeem himself with xenos blood. He wanted to avenge the Imperial citizens that had been slaughtered while under his watch. He needed to cleanse himself of doubt.

But he couldn't yet. In the meantime he wanted to see an ancient.

Amellius was one of the Chapter's honored ancients. A mighty warrior who had served as one of the most famed Captains of the Chapter in the past. He had fallen against the Craftworld Eldar six thousand years ago and had been interned ever since then. He was put inside an ornate Dreadnought sarcophagus. The image of the hull was that of him in life, an Astartes champion standing over a field of dead orks. Honor scroll and kill-markings covered the rest of the hull. One shoulder bore the starburst shield icon of the Praetors.

He had been unable to be properly put into stasis immediately after the battle groundside. So Amellius waited in the Hall of Ancients for the Techmarines to properly prepare and sanctify the ancient mechanisms that made Dreadnoughts sleep.

The Hall of Ancients aboard the Guilliman's Blade was a tribute to the heroes of yore. Weapons and armor was various chapter heroes was preserved in stasis vaults, displayed to the outside world. Trophies and skulls from various alien warlords and kings decorated the place. Nicanor spotted the preserved corpse of an Eldar Autarch and a Tyranid Genestealer Broodlord among them. Both of them had been slain by Captain Atreus's own blade.

''Nicanor. Is that your name?'' Amellius's voice boomed.

''Yes Honored One.'' Nicanor nodded respectfully, helm off.

''I've met many Nicanors over the centuries. Your faces tend to blur together.'' Amellius turned to face him. Nicanor starred into the carved representation of the hero on the sarcophagus.

''Why have you come here?''

''The Eldar.'' Nicanor found himself saying.

''What of them?''

''When I was under the influence of their drugs I saw visions of my past, of my mortal family.'' Nicanor explained. ''I was hoping you had some insight in the manner. I considered going to Chaplain Iapetos, but I wanted the wisdom of the ancients first.''

''Your past? Boy, I can hardly remember when I was alive.'' Amellius laughed, an odd sound coming from a Dreadnought.

''The Eldar sir?'' Nicanor reminded him.

''Of course…the Eldar, they put me in this thing. I have little love for them. I'll be put in the next battle and then in stasis again. You say you saw your family?'' he asked.

''Yes, but I could not see their faces-''

''Then stop thinking of them. I could give you some long speech on how we relate to the common folk better than other Chapters or suchlike, but the truth boy is that we gave up our humanity long ago.''

''I know that-''

''Do you?'' Amellius's deep voice cut through the air like a knife. ''Normal humans have things like jobs, families, lovers. They can hope to grow old and die alongside their families. They can have emotions that we can't. Do you want a summer cottage with a white picket fence boy? A wife and two children?'' Amellius asked.

''No, I don't sir.''

''Then forget about it. After this go see the Chaplain and confide in him brother. Nicanor the human died when he was accepted into the chapter. Nicanor the Astartes was born from him. I'll give a gift to Nicanor the Astartes.'' Amellius turned away from.

''Unlock Vault 8-Beta-16. Authorization: Orphic 88 Amellius.'' The Dreadnought spoke.

Nicanor's eyes looked to a crystal case unlocking on front of him. His breath caught as he realized what was being unveiled in front of him.

''Your helm-'' he said in shock.

''Yes, the helm I wore as Captain, it's a sergeant's now'' Amellius said.

The Helm of Amellius was an ornate MKVII helmet decorated with a comb-crest up the middle and a winged eagle on the brow with grilled mouth, recalling the ancient knights of Terra. It was still painted in its white Captain's colors.

''I am not worthy-'' Nicanor began.

''Oh, stop it. Take it now'' there was something of the old Amellius in the Dreadnought's voice. The Amellius that commanded the Third Company thousands of years ago. Carefully, Nicanor took the helm and placed it on him.

There was a moment before the machine sprits of the helm finished connecting with his MKVII suit. Then a wealth of tactical data opened up before Nicanor's eyes. The helm was an ancient relic with vastly improved communications and sensor banks. He then disengaged the helm and looked back at the Dreadnought.

''Thank you Honored One.''

''Don't thank me. The helm saved my life plenty of times. I figure it should get some use today. Now go'' He said.

Nicanor left the Dreadnought to his contemplations. Maybe he was reminiscing of old battles, or old foes slain in that hallway. Whatever the case, Nicanor stared into the ruby eye lenses of his helmet deep in thought.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm...very interesting addition to your compendium!!! Quite different from your other stories, yet still to your usual high standards. Great characters, LOVE the squad :lol:

What you manage to portray so well in your stories is the difference between the Astartes and humans. I love the way you often add human characters to underline the difference in appearance, thinking and emotions! As usual, very god job!!!

My only criticisms are:

As usual, there are quite a few mistakes, especially of typing nature, which could be cleaned out by reading through it again ;)

Otherwise, I think the story lacks an ending a bit. I was expecting to read about a showdown with the Eldar...but then, that's just my expectations ;)

Also, a couple of questions:

Isn't Iapetos a librarian? Or is that a different character?

Keep up the good work Gree, LOVE your stories!!!

P.S.: sorry I didn't read it earlier, couldn't find the time.

Ah yeah, I confused those two! Let me get this right...Iapetos featured in a story with the Space Wolves, while Heliocles was in the story with the Sororitas, wann'it?

Any idea what's up next? Curious as always :D

Ah yeah, I confused those two! Let me get this right...Iapetos featured in a story with the Space Wolves, while Heliocles was in the story with the Sororitas, wann'it?

Heliocles was with the Sororitas and the Wolves while Iapetos featured in the Alpha Legion and Eldar stories.

Archived