codex art on tank

Soooo, I remembered reading an article on the site about how to get codex art onto a tank but am unable to find it and was wondering if any of you would be oh so kind as to help me find it. Search function seems to have failed me, but I'm sure you won't ^_o

Anyways, yes... help is appreciated. You gets a cookie for helping :Troops:

In my reply I'm assuming you want to avoid freehand painting. If that's not the case take a look at the tutorials section, look around in the articles section of CMON or just google it. There are alot of articles and advice about freehand painting to be found.

First off I'd advise you to take a look in the decals thread here. You can print any artwork you like on decal paper. In fact, GW's Ultramarines command LR was done this way.

You could also use normal paper like here. Not too sure how well it would work, but a print in good quality from a laserprinter should look good enough.

You should be able to use both of these techniques to either just transfer the outlines on your model and paint it yourself or apply a full color image. Paper will leave a raised edge and I wouldn't use it myself, but with a good coat of varnish it should be durable enough to stand frequent handling. Colored decals would probably best be applied to a white surface and blended in manually by painting over the edges with the normal base color (unless it is white as well).

These are all alternatives I can think of apart from using a slide-projector and tracing. :D

What I did is scan in the image you want on your vehicle, and resize it to exactly the size you want it to be. Just print it to some regular printing paper, either color or black & white will do. Cut out the image leaving some room around the picture, and rub in the back side of the drawing with a soft, dark pencil. Tape the image to the vehicle with some masking tape (so your paintwork isn't damaged), and then trace the major lines of the picture with a hard, sharp pencil. This will trace your image to the vehicle. After all this is done, just paint in the major shapes just like you would freehand.

Results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Obliterator/Imperial%20Fists/DSC00933.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Obliterator/Imperial%20Fists/DSC00927.jpg

Archived