Assault Squad vs Tactical Squads

Drachnon

My staple unit is 10 man RAS with 2 melta guns and a power fist. I will then usually take a priest to go with them too. I start with them on the board and hop them across the table in a typical fashion. These guys have eaten many tanks since I started using them. I wouldn't leave for battle without them!

I feel that a larger 10 man squad with FNP can outlast a 5/6 man squad and a razorback. As for the tacs, I think for anti tank they are just too static. In my experience the safest way to deal with tanks is with melta weapons. To use melta effectively you have to get close, the jump packs help a lot. When you are close enough with a melta gun then you are in charge range too so the fist acts as an extra back up.

I guess at the end of the day though the best advice i can give is to try out different variants of RAS/RB's/Tacs and see what works for you because I think they all have the potential to kill tanks but you might find that one method suits you, your army and your play style better than another.

I don't use Assault Marines preferring Tactical Squads in Rhino's to do my scoring; I usually have them back in the deployment zone until the 5th turn to cover the objectives. I form them into a gun line and use the Rhino's to tank shock hard units. They have a variety of anti-tank weapons and gear to take on tanks and they can also use their boltguns to deal with infantry. An added Sanguinary Priest can give extra protection with feel no pain to make them tougher to take out.

I let 2 drop-podding heavy dreadnoughts with multi-meltas do the tank hunting for me. In the first turn I drop them both next to a tank that's the most dangerous and have the drop-pods deal with any infantry nearby. I aim for the centre of the Tank so that if I scatter no matter which direction they land they'll be the same distance away. For 280 points you'll have 4 armoured units’ already blowing up tanks and infantry apart in the first turn. Just keep in mind you would have to pay for an extra drop-pod "and" the unit you bought it for.

See I was looking at a 5man RAS with a Melta in a Rhino.

True it doesn't have the heavy weapon, but it has a firepoint to shoot the special (melta) out of and it is just as survivable as a Razorback.

5 man RAS with Melta and Fist in a TLAC Razorback is cheaper than the equivalent Tactical Squad version. So I can fit in more toys in my list at 1000pts than you.

But the unit is very specialized and cannot fulfill all the roles the Tactical Squad can. Not to mention it is very small and easilly wiped out.

One other advantage of the 10 man, combat squaded, tact squad with Sang Priest: Backup assaulting ;-)

One squad gets assaulted by an enemy unit, the next turn the other squad comes within 6 inches of the Sang priest or has the Sang priest with them and does a Furious Charge/FNP trick on that assault.

It is my favorite way of defending an objective, with 2 5 man combat squads being about 10-12 inch apart and backing each other up that way.

See I was looking at a 5man RAS with a Melta in a Rhino.

True it doesn't have the heavy weapon, but it has a firepoint to shoot the special (melta) out of and it is just as survivable as a Razorback.

You can have a 10 man assault squad and have 2 meltaguns in the Rhino, it's still cheaper then a Tactical Squad with a similar set-up. It would still be a specialized unit like what Devlonir says but with the staying power of a larger squad.

I let 2 drop-podding heavy dreadnoughts with multi-meltas do the tank hunting for me. In the first turn I drop them both next to a tank that's the most dangerous and have the drop-pods deal with any infantry nearby. I aim for the centre of the Tank so that if I scatter no matter which direction they land they'll be the same distance away. For 280 points you'll have 4 armoured units’ already blowing up tanks and infantry apart in the first turn. Just keep in mind you would have to pay for an extra drop-pod "and" the unit you bought it for.

I have the same idea, just gotta borrow a drop pod and another dread to try this out myself. I don't know how you're getting both of them into action on the first turn. Are you running 3 drop pods in your army?

For a small points game why not a full 10 man assault squad in jump packs with melta weapons? you can deepstrike them in combat squads to take out armor pretty handily.

Im really surprised that no one else has backed this up yet, as i find it a game wining tactic.

DoA gives you a deviance of 6inch max, from which you can easily assault the busted tank s squad, and 10 assault marines can at least hold up any other unit.

But Emperor's Immortals, how are you assaulting the squad contained within after you have performed a deep strike?

I think that he's implying they'll be reachable in another turn or that if they get assaulted, they should be able to hold out.

10 - Assault Squad (No Jump packs) =190

2 - Meltagun =20

1 - Drop Pod =Free

Worked amazingly.

Drop them in, split them up, holy carp 220 points for (Potentially) two tank kills.

Best part is.

They come in first turn.

Right up in their face.

If you are worried about the counter charge throw a Priest in there with them but personally I'd let them take whatever they receive without help as it will tie up a squad of theirs ready to be annihilated when your main force get's there.

Also, if you are only taking on one tank you can throw both meltaguns in one group and let the other shoot at the nearest threat.

Archived