Picking resin bases for my army

Hey, all. Currently my army has the standard "dirt and patches of grass" bases, and I wouldn't mind swapping them out for some cast resin bases. Except I can't decide between two kinds I found. Both are by Secret Weapon Miniatures. I like both because they're relatively flat, and thus easy to glue my guys onto (most resin bases I see are too textured to allow for a solid connection between model and base, leaving them vulnerable to breaking off easily while playing).

Anyway, here's the two kinds:

Urban Bases

Flagstone Bases

Price is the same for both kinds, so that's not a consideration. I kinda like the flagstone ones more, but figured I'd ask around a little first. Thanks!

Just pin the minis to the bases, if you are worried about them breaking off. :sweat:

I have to admit I like the flagstone bases more, but I think you could do that yourself. So just from a financial point of view you probably get a better deal in terms of spend money vs saved time, if you go with the urban style. But that shouldn't be the deciding factor here.

If you knew my history with models, you'd know how no amount of pinning and gluing will guarantee anything stays together. As such, I like to make the odds as much in my favor, and I'll probably pin all the models anyway.

As for making my own, I have neither the time nor the energy for that, and I'm sure it wouldn't come out as good anyway. :P

Ah, well I see what you mean about the time. :)

Just let me say this. If you flatten putty with some slate or any other stone and let it dry, effectively using it as stamp, making a negative imprint of the texture, you could sculpt tiles on a base and stamp it or use a breakable putty to make some tiles and emulate the flagstone look. If you "fold" two different putties over and over you can even get the slate break look. Not really more time consuming than applying white glue and and sand to a base (at least if you are as slow as me :P ).

Anyway, some other thoughts that might help with your decision:

If you say yourself you like the flagstone bases more, what makes you hesitate to get them? Or asked the other way around what do you like about the rubble bases more than the other ones?

If you like both why don't you use both? Using the same palette and maybe adding some debris to the flagstone bases they should look like they belong together.

Does your army's fluff support one choice more than the other? For example a chapter hunting for relics might end up in some ancient temples (flagstones) or are they specialized in urban warfare or part of a current campaign or defense war (urban rubble).

Considering how you would paint them what compliments your color scheme better?

What tables do you play on or do you plan to build in the future?

Those are some good considerations. Let's see here...

If you say yourself you like the flagstone bases more, what makes you hesitate to get them? Or asked the other way around what do you like about the rubble bases more than the other ones?

Of the different kinds they have, those are the two best. The urban ones would be good as the two different templates they have for the 25mm ones would give some better variety, though I'm not as keen on the upper set with the cobblestones. Either kind would match some of the bases I already have on some of my guys, to be honest.

If you like both why don't you use both? Using the same palette and maybe adding some debris to the flagstone bases they should look like they belong together.

Hmm, that's actually a nice possibility...

Does your army's fluff support one choice more than the other? For example a chapter hunting for relics might end up in some ancient temples (flagstones) or are they specialized in urban warfare or part of a current campaign or defense war (urban rubble).

Hmm. Looking at the character of my Chapter, though they've fought in plenty of instances of either, I think the flagstones would probably fit the character better.

Considering how you would paint them what compliments your color scheme better?

The bluish hues of the flagstones would definitely match better, as blue is one of my primary colors in my color scheme.

What tables do you play on or do you plan to build in the future?

That'll be hard to say, as I've changed gaming venues... *Counts* eight times in the course of my hobby, and what's present at my current store is still vastly different from what I have in my personal collection. In that sense, the urban bases would probably be better, as tables with ruined buildings are a fairly common occurrence in the hobby.

Though the flagstones could also fit the way I've painted them better, as I've painted them all very clean and without any sort of dirt or "battle damage", thus it could appear they're in their fortress-monastary or something, getting ready to fight.

You know, I actually just had a thought. Flagstone bases for my Space Marines...

...and then the urban ones for my Chaos Marines. A nice compromise, and fits the character of each army fairly well (though the "alien invasion" ones would probably be best for my Chaos Marines, due to their almost total focus on fighting the Tyranids, I want to hold off on those in case I get a Tyranid army, which I'm thinking about doing via my 'Ard Boyz winnings).

Archived