Fallen in IG

Alexi_Aoyama

I've been thinking of making my veteran guardsman into followers of the fallen..

this isn't a new thing, it happened with followers of 'the voice of the emperor', and with IG in the "Sons of Fenris" and "Angels of Darkness" books.

Chaos followers are also led by a fallen in "Eye of terror"

( and yes i know you can include cypher in IG in the 3rd edition.. but thats been done, i want to try something more original here..)

so now its my turn.. i created some fluff to go along with it, so plz rate it ;)

Winged Blades Mercenary company

Leading commander:

Captain Marcus Lionus

The Winged Blades were once a company of the 87th Catain Imperial Guard regiment. Raised to respond to the treat of Dark Eldar raiding parties across the sector. After winning the campain, the Catain 87th were redeployed to face rebel forces across the Damocles gulf. In these actions, the regiment became famous for their ability to redeploy quickly, and their lightning strikes across inhospitable terrain. After the gulf crusade was called off, the regiment was sent, together with most of the forces from that crusade, to fight off tyranids from Hive fleet Kraken. The regiment was declared lost when defending the world of Corralis Primaris, after a splinter fleet from Kraken descended on that planet.

Yet, some survived. The 3rd company from the 87th Catain fought off the tyranids. Taking shelter in a cavern, they found it to be no natural made cave, bristling with automated weaponry. Someone once lived here.. After commending their souls to the emperor the company fought off the tyranids time after time. Yet all seemed lost when a lictor managed to spring a trap behind the command squad , slaughtering the commanding officer. At the same time, men searching for other entries found a chamber set in stasis. Unlocking it, they found a corroded set of armor as old as the imperium, and a man slowly awakening from slumber. At this point the lictor attacked, aiming to slay the emergent warrior. Instead, Lionus gripped the lictor by its neck, and with a blow so hard it echoed through the cave itself, smote the alien beast from his sights. The soldiers were awed..

After that, Lionus led the company out of the cave, fighting at the head all the way up to the surface. The tyranids came and came, but none could stand before him. The guardsman thought him a reincarnation of the Emperor who answered their prayers and followed Lionus with renewed vigour.

After fighting up to the surface, Lionus made for the nearest spaceport. A single transport ship still hung in orbit, trying to save as much of the treasures stored on Corralis Primaris as possible before the main hive fleet arrived. The ship loaded up not only the treasures of the ill fated world, but also the armories of the spaceport.

With a speech that stirred all, Lionus proclaimed the Imperium weak and fallible, leaving the lives of noble soldier for unliving relics and treasures. The Emperor had brought them together to change this. The men manning the shuttles were overcome and given the same words of wisdom. Lionus’s words had more impact than the orders from the fleeing planetary governor could ever have had and with a roar they threw done their chosen tasks and followed Lionus.

Lionus wished for a new course. stirring the soldiers and ship’s crew with wealth and fame, glories and pride. And the men followed. So the company threw off the shackles of imperial doctrine and founded their mercenary company, fighting where they pleased, forging their own futures in the name of Lionus and the Emperor…

3 years later, a patrol vessel found the fate of Corrolis Primaris. Yet, a signal remained. The patrol force send down to investigate found a cave, still intact beneath the surface of the now lifeless planet. Inside, a suit of armor was reclaimed. The black suit had withstood the ages well, although time had erased all marks. On one shoulder pad, and only if one would look really close, could be made out a symbol. The symbol of a sword flanked by wings..

Company marking:

still looking for the right feel of one.. although i think it will look good if its something like the winged sword emblem of the DA, but with enough diffrences to not blurt the whole fallen theme unto the army. if you find anything that fits the profile.. well i'd appreciate it.

As for the list.. i wanted to field a true angel of death without power armour, so i've chosen to use the profile and rules for Iron Hand Straken.. that leaves me with converting a marine without his armor.. a fun challenge.

as for doctrine.. the list will be made up of mostly veteran squads, with vendetta's/valkyries and stormtroopers in support. (Navy ratings and Airplanes from the vessel they are using)

hope you guys will like this.. :huh:

I like the back story. Good stuff. I've also said it before, but this is my ideal way to include the Fallen into an army - I just can't buy the a whole army of Fallen, but the a Fallen HQ leading a band of mercenaries is the way to go.

I understand that you want to use Straken's rules, but he does have a 3+ armor save so you could get away with using a Power armored Fallen no problem. Not that I don't like the idea of a Astartes forgoing his armor, but I just have the feeling that any Astartes - most certainly one that has survived for 10k years - has a connection to their armor, like it is a part of them.

Though I also understand the idea of throwing off the shackles of the Imperium, and the armor would most likely represent that. It also makes the hunt for us DA even more interesting...

As the patrol team and there servitors exit the cavaran, black power armor in tow, a sudden burst of thunder rings out and the commander's head explodes in a plume of viscera, coating his comrades beside him. An instance of confusion from the rest of the patrol is all it takes as a rain of bolts slam home into them, each one a killing shot four times over.

As the dust clears, a group of giants emerge from their concealment, five clad in glistening armor the color of bone, and one in stark contrast with armor of the darkest black. Ignoring the pulverized bodies the squad descends on the ancient black power armor...

(your story inspired me to spout of a quick one of my own)

I like the idea very much ;) as I'm all for a bit of creative theme-based army building.

Unfortunately we can't talk about IG (in this context) on the B&C. The only such units we can discuss are those inducted into the =][=. IG Codex based discussions are way out of bounds.

I was going to close this. But on reflection it can stay open for discussion on the concept of Fallen IG as at a very looooong stretch it's kinda DA-related(ish). But any further talk of IG army lists, units, rules or anything else IG Codex related and it will have to close I'm afraid.

Cheers

I

'fraid something like this was bound to happen.. <_<

i'll keep it to the dark angels part of the fluff/moddeling then, since that was the reason i put it up in here.

thanks for the thumbs up tho ^_^

as for the part about the marine armour.. i think you're right about not being able to leave it behind. the armour fits in the profile pretty well and i've actually never heard of

a marine parting with his armour willingly(with an exeption, of course :rolleyes: , of lexandro d'arquebuss in the inquisition trilogy)

not wearing it is another matter, but it does save me some conversion work.. hmm well it is a good back up plan at least.

As the patrol team and there servitors exit the cavaran, black power armor in tow, a sudden burst of thunder rings out and the commander's head explodes in a plume of viscera, coating his comrades beside him. An instance of confusion from the rest of the patrol is all it takes as a rain of bolts slam home into them, each one a killing shot four times over.

As the dust clears, a group of giants emerge from their concealment, five clad in glistening armor the color of bone, and one in stark contrast with armor of the darkest black. Ignoring the pulverized bodies the squad descends on the ancient black power armor...

(your story inspired me to spout of a quick one of my own)

this is wonderfull fluff.. the idea that the deathwing is already at his heels is a terrifying prospect for a fallen haha.. thank you for the input, i can really use this for story development.

well i'll try to put up pictures of Lionus soon so keep an eye out ;)

this is wonderfull fluff.. the idea that the deathwing is already at his heels is a terrifying prospect for a fallen haha.. thank you for the input, i can really use this for story development.

well i'll try to put up pictures of Lionus soon so keep an eye out ;)

Why thank you.

Though, perhaps I was a bit hasty having them simply kill the patrol team. Surely a Chaplain and 5 terminators of any chapter could waltz up to a civilian or even a IG patrol and simply demand they turn over the armor without any chance of refusal. But you get the point.

Can't wait to see Lionus. Considering he will be surrounded by IG models, do you plan on trying to truescale him somehow or at least make him appear taller and stand out?

Though, perhaps I was a bit hasty having them simply kill the patrol team. Surely a Chaplain and 5 terminators of any chapter could waltz up to a civilian or even a IG patrol and simply demand they turn over the armor without any chance of refusal. But you get the point.

This is the deathwing we're talking about here. One of the ultimate embodiments of shoot first, ask second--if there's anything left. They will kill without hesitation, and contact with the armor is more than enough to insure the death of those who found it.

--BoR

This is some awesome fluff. Not sure if I am looking foward to seeing the model of him or if your going to continue the short little story. Actually the story is off to a great start and would like to see more of it. I don't want to take away from your modeling but your on to something here, keep it going.

the story is a prologue for a campain me and my friends are going to run.

the exploits (and story twists) will be added to this little bit of fluff.

seeing on how succesful this has been received, i might put in just a little more effort and post it up on here too :) (getting exited here)

for the modelling part:

since marines tower over guardsman, even without it he's going to have to be a bit bigger and broader than the catain.

i'm starting off with scout legs and trying to remodel an upper body now.. i'd post the pics but havent been able to get a nice shot of it (yet)

but it's coming soon, on a wip tread.

Archived