Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

THQInsider

One MMO that I could see this game simulating would be PlanetSide, where there is 3 factions, litterally "Only War". No NPC's. 100% PvP. Do a youtube search too see what PlanetSide is like. Except try to imagin it as if it was 40K and it should fit perfect.

It wouldn't be so bad to see a certain amount of emulation of the way Warhammer Age of Reckoning was constructed, maybe allowing for a bit more story than WAR did and possibly making the pvp a little less "zerg rush" and a little more tactical in execution. Also if there are any pet classes, please for the love of the Emperor let the pets work well and have decent AI(instead of my white lion's war lions lobotomy) as to the chapter I wouldn't BT but it would be nice if they let you apply colour scheme and decal as you see fit...granted you would see alot of weird 3 man chapters....But it would be worth it for alot of us to finally see their beloved home grown armies in full high definition 3d... But i've seen space marine bikes in the game...so I can be happy just with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of a 40k MMO, but all I can think about is WoW-40k.

"Hi young space marine! Orks have stole my favourite flamer. If you kill and bring back 10 Ork fingers, I'll give you my shiny gauntlets!".

Space marines or Ork bosses with giant exclamation marks above their heads.

*ding* "I can now equip that cool new Bolter that dropped from that Tyranid Boss I killed!"

"Let's farm 'Tyranid Instance 1' until we all get the rare drops!"

ULTRAMAR Chat: "LFG TYRANID INSTANCE 1" / "APOTHECARY LFG!" / "DEVASTATOR LFG!"

I think the only way a 40k mmo could work is as mentioned, PlanetSide, and that's kinda upsetting as I hate PVP.

Now a BFG version of Eve Online... could be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably set up as your typical inquisition set up. With inducted imperial forces. They probably will also set up the SM as a deathwatch set up so that you can be from any chapter you wish. Or that you are a grey knight recruit in a trial by fire. As for CSM, i have no idea how they would do their factions aside from being Black legion or chaos undivided. Though with it being an mmo i would say its safe to assume that there will be no Slaanesh. Sorry to you folks.

As for the other races I hope that they make them appealing. If I play this mmo I don't want to have to struggle to get a group for something because all i can find is 50 useless marines =\.

• 1 month later...

Oooo Black templars. Where are the librarians going to come from??? This would tick more than a few players.

The have got to through in some other chapters for this. Easiest way is just to put in a armor painter and a list of the named chapters. Each chosen chapter has a minor effect on progression, i.e CC or RC benefits in a minor degree. Can't be that hard to pull off. I want my obscure chapters for this kind of game.

I cant pull up the source at the moment. It actually might be on this site. But, there will be other Chapters available in this game. Earlier images from DMO had Ultras instead of the BTish marines they have now. So I wouldnt worry about it too much. The Ultras had a very nice level of detail to their armor too.

Captain Lacerus

Lol no guys someone posted it on this site many months ago. It was an early render of a SM for DMO before it was officially anounced DMO at E3. It looked really good. I suck at the search on here but I will try to find it for you or google it. I also know it was for this game because it was rendered with the same graphics engine and looks just like the BT from the pics and videos.

FOUND IT!!!!

Ok I am not sure how the whole link thing works so I will just copy and paste it to here. http://kotaku.com/5415951/an-early-look-at...0k-mmo/gallery/

There you go. Its early concept stuff from DMO. You'll see the Ultra there.

Captain Lacerus

I wonder how they can include both astartes and guardsmen as races and classes without a huge gap in between? after all, astartes would own at least 10 guardsmen in combat, easily.

I have a horrible, HORRIBLE feeling that they're going to do the following:

In the trailer (the Imperium of Man one), I saw the following potential "classes" - Space Marine, Guardsman, Tech Priests and some git in a white dress (possibly an Inquisitor or something).

They could oh, so easily, fall into the MMORPG trap and deliver us an Imperium of Man with Tanks (Space Marines), Ranged DPS (Guardsman), Healing/Debuff (Tech Priests) and Melee DPS / Support (Inquisition).

I'd really, REALLY hate it if that's what they do.....

This looks good...I hope it doesn't do what the WHFB MMO did and burn out and lose players after 3 months of complete awesomeness...

You and me both. I truly hope that they do a better job than Mythic did. Not that Mythic totally screwed up WHF - but they so massively overhyped the game, and so seriously underdelivered - that the game was pretty much boned right from the start.

Also - they tried to make the world far too big. While it's really cool to see the Empire/Chaos areas, the Dwarf/Ork areas and the Elf/Dark Elf areas, there was just WAAYY too much space. Everywhere felt deserted half the time. It would have been far better to focus on just one of those areas, keeping the population together - it was a serious bummed to go online and run quests in a zone for 4+ hours without seeing a single other player. And this was on a FULL server!

Finally, they made another fatal mistake (one that most MMO's make). All the zones are level-based. Once the initial rush is over, everybody's camping their mains in the high-level areas, and the lowbie zones are left deserted. Since PvP was a primary driver of WAR, this creates a significant problem, as a lot of the PvP is dependant on having not only more than 2-3 of your side around, but also more than 2-3 of the other team!

Also, the PvP areas were so large that, if you went down in PvP (which you did... a LOT!), you spend 3-5 minutes running back so that you could get one-shotted by some OP ability that hadn't been nerfed yet. Or whatever. The PvP was crap at lower levels in most areas.

Let's hope that Vigil learn from the mistakes of WAR.

One MMO that I could see this game simulating would be PlanetSide, where there is 3 factions, litterally "Only War". No NPC's. 100% PvP. Do a youtube search too see what PlanetSide is like. Except try to imagin it as if it was 40K and it should fit perfect.

Oh yes! Yes, yes, yes! I'd be so totally sold if they could pull this off!

I love the idea of a 40k MMO, but all I can think about is WoW-40k.

"Hi young space marine! Orks have stole my favourite flamer. If you kill and bring back 10 Ork fingers, I'll give you my shiny gauntlets!".

Space marines or Ork bosses with giant exclamation marks above their heads.

*ding* "I can now equip that cool new Bolter that dropped from that Tyranid Boss I killed!"

"Let's farm 'Tyranid Instance 1' until we all get the rare drops!"

ULTRAMAR Chat: "LFG TYRANID INSTANCE 1" / "APOTHECARY LFG!" / "DEVASTATOR LFG!"

I truly hope that they can do better than this. Because this would really suck.

I think the only way a 40k mmo could work is as mentioned, PlanetSide, and that's kinda upsetting as I hate PVP.

Umm... you realise this is the 41st millenium, and there is only war, right? All of table-top gaming is essentially PvP. As long as they do it right (i.e. like planetside, not the ridiculous BS zerg-rush AoE-spam stupidity that was Warhammer Online), PvP is nothing to worry about.

Now a BFG version of Eve Online... could be interesting.

I dunno... I'm not sure I can think of anything worse. Eve is a TERRIBLE game. Far too much grindy BS and stupid math for a proper game.

Zero Punctuation said it best : "Eve feels like a game that doesn't want to be played. It's a spreadsheet focused chatroom for nerds who are to nerds, what nerds are to normal people. At the end of the day, Eve is a second job that you have to pay for."

Now, if they got rid of all the grinding, stupid skill systems, endlessly replacing ships and stuff, then I guess it could be OK. Otherwise... no. Keep your spreadsheet simulators out of my 40K.

This provides a small ray of hope. I do hope that it doesn't turn out to be the kind of massive over-hype that WAR fell victim to.

In summary : Much hope... little anticipation.

Oh yes! Yes, yes, yes! I'd be so totally sold if they could pull this off!

Would make it lose all fluff out if it if there would be no npc's what so ever. And lose a lot of players. Fun for 3 weeks, then it gets boring. Needs fluff to keep running.

well, I for one would like more emphasis on PVE than PVP.

IMHO there hasnt been a single good/fair/consistently fun pvp system made in any mmo yet....I doubt this would change that. A game (mmo) lives and dies NOT on its PVP but its PVE....despite what the ganker lovers say.

Not that I want to collect wolf pelts with my marine either....but there has to be some sort of solution/happy middle ground between collecting daisies for the apothacary and mindless meaningless purposeless pvp.

regardless-whatever they do. I will buy it. Even if it isnt all I hope, its more than I have now :). And if its sucks...well I barely have enough time to keep up with my painting as it is...

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh, playing a space marine in any kind of game is looking like epic fail so far. An MMO is the worst possible environment to be playing one in. Inquisitors would have been a massively better choice, and making the game a planet-hopping, heretic hunting, xenos killing and deamon investigating Eisenhorn-style affair would frankly have set my underpants on fire. With that, advancement from novice interrogator to lord inquisitor would have been like the ultimate progression game, rather than "my lvl 87 spess mahrine beats your lvl 3 spess mahrine LOLZ" which this game will boil down to, in the end.

Skepti-rant ends here.

Tbh, playing a space marine in any kind of game is looking like epic fail so far. An MMO is the worst possible environment to be playing one in. Inquisitors would have been a massively better choice, and making the game a planet-hopping, heretic hunting, xenos killing and deamon investigating Eisenhorn-style affair would frankly have set my underpants on fire. With that, advancement from novice interrogator to lord inquisitor would have been like the ultimate progression game, rather than "my lvl 87 spess mahrine beats your lvl 3 spess mahrine LOLZ" which this game will boil down to, in the end.

Skepti-rant ends here.

tbh, thats what any MMO boils down to in the end :rolleyes:

it looks suitably epic though :P anyone have any more news on the progress of this game?

Archived