Allied Inquisitors Psychic Hood?!

Hepburn

So after perusing the all mighty Imperial Guard "Leaf Blower" list I noticed that they run an allied Inquisitor as to get free shots at Deep Strikers. I feel this tech could be of some use to my BA tourney army so I dug out my Daemonhunters codex and took a gander at what I could make. Here in lies my question;

Inquisitor Lords have the option of taking a psychic hood. However, if you browse through the description in the wargear section you will notice that the DH psychic hood is still using the old version (i.e. no 24" range limitation). If i use him with my BA army, should I adhere to the new 5th edition range limitation or is this yet another loophole we can get away with? =)

...oh and first post btw!

Theres very little we can put out raw damage wise to make the mystic squad really worthwhile.

I completely disagree with this. If you have a tac squad with a plasma cannon, it's a credible threat to any sort of deep striker.

The LD 10 hood however is very useful.

furi libbies are LD10. just sayin.

But you can get that on a GK term squad too!

thats where the real value comes in. an awesome termi squad advancing across the field. another member posted a cool fluff about using a GKGM and 3 termi retinue. put a SP in with him, maybe even a chappie in termi armor, and you have a true BA death star. obviously they need a LRR or LRC or SR to ride in.

I've seen Inquisitor with Mystics (and the psychic hood of course) hanging out near Devastators with Multimeltas. 4 Multimelta shots can ruin just about anything's day.

I haven't tried this myself yet, but my next game I know I'll be facing Inquisitor/Mystics/Multimeltas, which could keep me from doing much deepstriking.

The LD 10 hood however is very useful.

furi libbies are LD10. just sayin.

But you can get that on a GK term squad too!

thats where the real value comes in. an awesome termi squad advancing across the field. another member posted a cool fluff about using a GKGM and 3 termi retinue. put a SP in with him, maybe even a chappie in termi armor, and you have a true BA death star. obviously they need a LRR or LRC or SR to ride in.

guilty as charged, though I don't personally play this tactic it is atleast possible for a little while longer and could make for some fun.

I used this combo in the ard'boys semi. Was pretty ok, not awesome. My first game was vs mech guard, so there was no deepstriking. second game vs chaos, but he blew up my vindis the first turn so they didnt get to shoot. When he did deepstrike I rolled, 1, 1, 1, 3 so I didnt get to use the mystics. The psy hood was awesome though.

The only problem with the GKT unit is you can't buy them a Transport Land Raider easily.

if you want the discount (or to be able to unlock the LR) buy a cheap RAS5, park it on a home objective, and embark the termi's turn 1. Easily done.

what would truly make a GK deathstar:

GKGM

3x retinue (1xincinerator or psycannon)

SP in termi armor

termi chappie

libby in termi w might of heroes (for the GKGM)

fits in a LRC, and that's just sickness. Remember aegis works on the vehicle (i think....). 2x psycannon/psybolts would DEVOUR invul saves, and I think at I5 you would slaughter almost everything it would face.

course, it's hellaciously expensive.....

Theres very little we can put out raw damage wise to make the mystic squad really worthwhile.

I completely disagree with this. If you have a tac squad with a plasma cannon, it's a credible threat to any sort of deep striker.

In retrospect Plasma Devs too hey.

I've seen Inquisitor with Mystics (and the psychic hood of course) hanging out near Devastators with Multimeltas. 4 Multimelta shots can ruin just about anything's day.

I haven't tried this myself yet, but my next game I know I'll be facing Inquisitor/Mystics/Multimeltas, which could keep me from doing much deepstriking.

I had a plasma cannon squad take out half my army once with this "tactic" before I knew not to deepstrike anything against an army with mystics...

Not to mention it was my second game back with 40k after a lengthy layoff from 3-4th editions. I had never even seen the =I= codex, so knew nothing of the allies abilities, and it basically ruined the game, because that one squad removed most of my threats before they landed lol.

Live and learn, but I still believe its a total crutch to use this unit with the newer codexes, and in any situation aside from 'ard boys or a WAAC game I find it truly distasteful to see them in IG or SM armies.

Dont forget to take the GK terminators with their +2S power weapons and combine them with the blood chalice for truly epic levels of lame! :rolleyes:

Just take a lone Grey Knight Brother Captain. He's an HQ choice, requires no bodyguard and is an Independent Character so he can join any friendly unit. The best part is that he has access to the Daemonhunters armory, so you can take a psychic hood. All told he'd only cost 81 points and could easily hide in a squad or join a unit that already has a Land Raider transport.

Archived