Blood Angels & Successors

Harc_Staven

For me it's the Angels Encarmine. Every thing about them. Their fervor in battle, growing death company for fluff. And for table top, I love the black trim every where really makes the reds stand out better and the white Death company and Sanguinary Guard. Really throws people off when they are put on the table.

First founding, the pure and only Blood Angels...Why? Two words: First founding. Also their colour scheme is quite flawless, as is the icon. And you get models suited for them perfectly, more so than for the successors. And also I like their fluff best, really.

I started highly interested in the Fleshtearers, but after reading all I could find about the Blood Angels AND their successors I ended up with the Blood Angels.

I am more attracted to their background and style/nobility.

In my younger years I played Dungeons & Dragons and only once in 16 years did I play an evil/selfcentered/barbaric character. I'm too much of a team player and highly value order/valor/doing the right thing etc. Call me a pansy and I'll defend it on any battlefield. :P

BA are the only marines for me.

T

I like running a successor (particularly one with little official fluff) to allow more freedom for what I want my army to be like. Also, I like my red paint darker than the official Blood Angels scheme, so Angels Vermillion for me.

I also have had a soft spot for Flesh Tearers for a long time, but in the end I decided Blood Angels are more for me.

And here's why:

• The dual nature of the Chapter: the Blood Angels are one of the most brutal and bloodthirsty Astartes, yet at the same time they remain arguably the most noble. I really like the depth and complexity this brings to the Chapter.
  • This really shouldn't be needed to be said: they are RED! The colour of bloodshed, violence and certain Taiwenese beauty product. :D
  • They are a First founding Chapter and in addition to commanding a huge amount of respect they possess massive resources when going to war.
  • Baal. The homeworld and the surrounding moons are totally bad :P ! Radioactive wastes with wandering mutant cannibals and deformed survivors.
  • Cool name. You don't really want to go to war with a force called the "Blood Angels".
  • I really like their heroes: Dante and Mephiston are some of my favourite characters in the background.
  • And so on...

I honestly could go on and on, but I'm sure I've covered some of my favourite reasons for picking the parent Chapter instead of a Successor.

For me it's the Angels Encarmine. Every thing about them. Their fervor in battle, growing death company for fluff. And for table top, I love the black trim every where really makes the reds stand out better and the white Death company and Sanguinary Guard. Really throws people off when they are put on the table.

These are pretty much the same reasons I chose the Angels Encarmine as my successor chapter of choice. I love the color scheme for the regular troops (my ASM have red helms instead of yellow), and white DC and SG look great mixed in with all the red of the rest of the army. I also enjoyed their fluff that despite being a "doomed" chapter and having so many brothers fall to the black rage they are still one of the most active chapter's. The fact that they rarely fight at full force really cemeted for me that they are extremely elite warriors and even in small numbers can be devestating to their enemies.

Oh, I gave up on a "successor chapter" idea I had a while ago and went with something a bit different as the theme for my army: The Reclusiam.

Most of my lists include Astorath or a Reclusiarch (or both) and at least one chaplain, as well as a wave of death company and darkly painted assault marines that function as honor guard, whom are all basically part of the Reclusiarchy structure. They are all Chaplains in training.

This way I can easily justify having Mephiston or Corbulo show up, or Lemartes and Dante or even (if I ever buy them) sanguinary guard and the Sanguinor.

That's a neat idea Burningblood, I like it!

Thanks! Eventually I swear I'll put some pictures up. I've only got like 4 fully painted models out of like 100.

The thing is that I really like chaplains. The models and stats and feel of them are just great. I Like the idea of a hard IC that does more to buff his army more than a superhard IC that doesnt really add anything to the rest of the force, like Mephiston.

Sure he is wicked when he works but he doesn't do much but mulch things until he dies. Reclusiarchs and Chaplains add to the survivability AND killiness of any squad they're attached too, and they're fun to paint.

Although I admit, Hialmar painted Astorath for me. I suck. He's awesome.

Knights of Blood for me. Like James I said, very little fluff makes it fun and easy to spin it anyway I want. For example, having been decreed 'renegade' and 'unwelcome allies' and being 'inherently dangerous to fight alongside' gives me loads of room to make up my own fluff. So far, our 'Black Blood Rage' will lead us to friend and foe alike; all surviving DC get corralled in stasis for the next battle; Tycho didn't fall on Armageddon, we rescued him from his suicidal Black Rage, and when he returns to Baal he'll most likely be in Holy Dreadnought Armour; eventually I could Max out all Troop slots with 25-30 DC & 5 DC Dreads, which really plays into the Knights' reputation of being 'near-crazed'. So many ways to go with the little fluff available. ;D

Rybnick, I also didn't paint my ASM helms yellow and left them the standard red. I will probably pain marines that are in speeders and Baal's with yellow helms. I always think of fast attack when I see BA's with yellow helms.

If I was not doing my own DIY successor chapter, It would have to be the Knights of Blood also. The controversy about weather they are the same chapter favored by Khorne in the Chaos DEX or not is enough for me. Blood thirsty maniacs. Plus I like their scheme to.

Archived