Citadel Spray Gun spare bottle question

Hi guys!

I recently bought a Citadel Spray Gun. I figured rather than shell out £300 or so for an iwata + compressor, I'd give the £20 (including propellant) spray gun a go first to see if I like painting with air.

I've also discovered that the Spray Gun is a repackaged Badger one, so you can use Badger adapters to connect it to a compressor. Now I can buy my compressor separately and still get some good use out of it in the meantime! Good way to spread the cost!

I'll still be using my spray gun for basecoats, washes, possibly metallics if I use any after I get my airbrush (mostly to save wear-and-tear!). I'd like to keep pre-mixed and pre-thinned paint for basecoats in a bottle that I can attach to the spray gun, because I find I waste as much paint as I use transferring it to and from the GW tubs.

Does anyone know if any "standard" bottles are compatible with the GW spray gun? Obviously they won't have the markers for foundation paints on them, but presumably the attachment is a standard size?

To save pre-mixing/thinning I use cosmetics small pots.. you can ask for them at a hairdresser or at a pharmacy or similar. They simply throw them away.

On a non related to your specific question...

Pulverizer (spray gun) is not an airbrush... its like comparing a bike and a tank because both have a combustion engine xD

Spray gun for priming, sure. For the first base... difficult. Anything beyond this, I'd say you'll frustrate because you won't get nice finish.

The issue here is pigment grain and needle diametre... with the spray gun, it either goes through or it doesn't... which is basically the equivalent of "very fast dipping" a model (yes, an exageration, but you got the idea :) ) You'll end up putting too much paint on the model.

BTW, a cheap double action airbrush goes for something like 19 Euros at Ebay... and it works quite decent.

Hope it helps!

The Spray gun works fine for base coating and washing. I use it for just that myself. I think the base coat finish looks alot better than the spary can ones (minor difference). The only issue I had is that the propellent cans are complete garbage. If you have any dedicaiton to the hobby, a compressor is deffintily worth it. I found that it was pretty simple to rig up the GW gun to a compressor line.

As far as standard bottles for the gun, I tried to look for some at my local art store and I didn't have any luck. I gave up fairly quickly, so you could have better luck.

If you want to do anything detailed, you will have to step up to an actuall air brush.

Hope that helps

Archived