blood talons rules

Delvarus

this has caused some heated debate in our group but i fear i may already know the answer. it has been argued that the generation of extra attacks a pair of blood talons is capable of can keep on going untill all models in the opposing squad are killed. surely for this to happen the dread will need to be in base contact with all the enemy models and it dosnt just keep wading thru the squad untill it stops generating attacks. can anyone explain this to me?

You determine what squads you can hit before you start swinging. So, every model in the squad is at risk of the blood talons, even the ones out of 2 inches.

at the risk of sounding dumb, your telling me the dread can be in base contact with lets say 3 out of 10 models but it can end up killing them all in the same assault.

Yes. Remember that this does kind of make sense. Its huge! compared to an ork nob its huge! Its using lightning claws to channel all that mass into an attack.

I've used a tallon dread to take out the head ultramarine chaplain and a squad of 10 sternguard in two player turns (my assault turn and his assault turn). Granted they did manage to kill it because they were all going at the same initiative during his assault turn, but becase he kept generating unsaved wounds he kept attacking and attacking.

It was awesome.

It doesn't by the way, matter if you are in B-contact with any models when you attack, if you were in contact at the beginng of the combat. One of the changes of the fifth edition. In 4th you were able to remove dead models from the B-contact of, say, a Powerfist, which would then not be able attack anyone.

Now ist simple: You were in contact at the beginning of the fight, you can attack.

An illustration in the brb clearly shows even so they CAN be wounded in combat (though not an IC of course). Its sort of like in the shooting phase you can kill models that are out of range as long as originally one model was with range. But in reality it would have to be a fairly strung out squad hit on the flank for this rule to take effect. The models in question would have to be over a full 8 inches away from the originally charged model.

And yes, talons are quite awesome and one of the best answers to hordes ever.

Archived