Assault on Black Reach paint set.. smelly?

Hi Folks,

I decided to buy the Assault on Black Reach paint set to fill out some of my missing paint colors (and to mess with painting Marines), and I've found that the paint included in the set smells very odd. For example, the Iyanden Yellow seems to be off-color (more like an orange) and have a very strong sulphur-ish scent. The yellow looked like it had been drying out or was rather old.

The Mechrite Red also smells very strong and strange. The scents were very apparent when I opened the set for the first time. None of my individually bought paints smell like that.

Is this normal for Assault on Black Reach sets?

Hi Folks,

I decided to buy the Assault on Black Reach paint set to fill out some of my missing paint colors (and to mess with painting Marines), and I've found that the paint included in the set smells very odd. For example, the Iyanden Yellow seems to be off-color (more like an orange) and have a very strong sulphur-ish scent. The yellow looked like it had been drying out or was rather old.

The Mechrite Red also smells very strong and strange. The scents were very apparent when I opened the set for the first time. None of my individually bought paints smell like that.

Is this normal for Assault on Black Reach sets?

Maybe they repackaged old Macragge paints?

My foundation pots don't smell like that - at least not strong enough for me even be able to notice it - and the Iyanden looks more like a pale yellow tha orange to me...

Or maybe they are using 2nd rate quality stuff for those starter sets.

I sometimes find old Citadel paints can smell a bit musty/ stale - especially mechrite red - perhaps something in the foundation range. Perhaps its an AOBR box that had been on the shelves for a while. I usually find that after slighty watering them down, everything is fine.

Doesnt seem to happen with Vallejo paints or non-foundation Citadel paints/ metallics/ washes i find.

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

When I sat down at my bench again, I looked at the sides of my paint containers and noticed that the paint has apparently separated. I liberally stirred some of the paints and the color has seemed to return, but the paint still has a very strong noxious order.

Here are some pictures:

Before: http://heisenburgers.com/etc/yellowpaint1.jpg

After: http://heisenburgers.com/etc/yellowpaint2.jpg

http://heisenburgers.com/etc/redpaint.jpg

One of the painter containers had some dried out gold paint on it. Curious.

Should I just stir up the paint and deal with it?

My paint seperates a good deal but after a good mixing its good to go for awhile, it doesn't seperate again unless I leave it for a long time.

As for smell the only things I have that smell bad are a few of my washes: sepia and mud.

My paint seperates a good deal but after a good mixing its good to go for awhile, it doesn't seperate again unless I leave it for a long time.

As for smell the only things I have that smell bad are a few of my washes: sepia and mud.

Stinks so bad... I guess its due to the medium they you to produce the washes... it smells like a damp dark dungeon man...

Archived