If color scheme?

Hello again guys and gals, I after reading some fluff and stuff I have decided to go with IF for my first ever SM army, and my question to you would be this: do you think this tutorial I found over on another website would work for painting IFs? (I wont mention the name of the other website, since im not sure if it is ''considered'' advertising for another site ;) )

Stage 1. Iyanden Darksun. I use my airbrush to get a good even coat but it can be done with a brush. I’m just lazy.

Stages 2, 3, 4 and 5. iIncreasing amounts of sunburst yellow added until finally sunburst yellow. I decide where the top/front of the part is and try and build the highlights along it. With this part though that was difficult as it’s all top

Stage 6. Now its time for the hairy stick. 50/50 Dark Flesh/ Sunburst Yellow (thinned till it‘s like milk). Carefully paint into the recesses. Also use this stage to lightly mark out where you intend rust and weathering to be. Use three stages to lightly build this up rather than flooding it in one.

Stage 7. Same again but with pure Dark Flesh

So what do you think? Would it look good or bad.

-Regards restless new battle brother

You can list the site in a post like this. A post along the lines of "CHECK MY NEW SITE *link here*" would be advertising.

As for the recipe, having not used it myself I can't say how well it will work. It does seem like the Dark Flesh is going to be too off setting as a color against the yellow though.

Perhaps paint up a mini and show us.

I'd personally use Iyanden Darksun with a few drops of Gryphon sepia or Ogryn flesh for the wash and actually onl;y line the wash in the areas needed, so use it as a lining technique rather than actually as a wash.

I want to start an IF army over the next few months. A colour scheme I have been trying out on a few eldar weapons sprues have been:

1. White basecoat

2. Sunburst yellow + a little Tausept ochre (for coverage and depth

3. Gryphonne sepia wash

4. Previous mix + bleached bone

5. Build to bleached bone

I may use skull white instead of bleached bone, haven't tried it yet. The important thing here is never having a straight yellow, avoiding the notoriously poor cover of GW yellow.

What do people think?

Archived