Chaplains and Death Company

juckto

I was under the impression that DC lead by a Chaplain don't have to run straight at the nearest visible enemy, but when I actually went to read the codex I found no such rule.

Am I blind, or was it just my imagination?

I was under the impression that DC lead by a Chaplain don't have to run straight at the nearest visible enemy, but when I actually went to read the codex I found no such rule.

Your imagination, probably using the PDF's Death Company as a basis for that fiction. The current DC rage, no matter who joins them.

In the beginning I was a bit hesitant to wanting to field a DC with the new codex but if used correctly rage won't be that big a disadvantage.

The other day my opponent smiled at me when we realized my DC was in fact closer to his Hive Tyrant with two guards instead of his shooty Tyranid Warriors.

He was so sure he'd eat the whole unit in this or the next assault phase.

I can say his smile dropped quite heavily when I charged his HT and crushed both him and his guards in one round of CC.

DC + Chaplain is absolutely devastating, especially if used with a Stormraven so they can charge when they disembark.

I think you're thinking about the 1998 3rd Edition BA codex(The last Actual Codex, aka, not a PDF). In the Death Company entry it does indeed state that they can only be lead by Chaplains, and if they are not lead by one, they must move towards the nearest enemy unit and assault if possible. 5th edition Death Company, sadly, now have the Rage USR. There's no special BA fluff-rule that allows Chaplains to give them a capri-sun pouch of blood to calm them down. :/ They have to move towards the closest unit, but you can still pick who to assault. Easy fix is to pop them in a transport.

I actually like the fact that they can't be controlled, seems very fluffy or is it just me :D Just dump 'em in the general area that the most damage is required and in variably they cause mayhem :P

Nah its not really fluffy, In every previous dex teh chaplains have "guided" the DC as is their role in the BA structure however for some reason ward missed that. It may be ballance, it may be oversight but either way it doesnt really sit well with me as a veteran BA.

I think the uncontrollable rage fits with the newest fluff. The newest codex has bought the BA to a head. The flaws in their geneseed are worsening and Baal is on the brink of devastating war so making the DC uncontrollable fits for me.

I'm going to field a DC only army as I like them so much.

Nah its not really fluffy, In every previous dex teh chaplains have "guided" the DC as is their role in the BA structure however for some reason ward missed that. It may be ballance, it may be oversight but either way it doesnt really sit well with me as a veteran BA.

That's cool. Let's just make another dumb comment at Matthew Ward's expense. Like we haven't had enough of those since our codex was released...

The Death Company being uncontrollable is fluffy and balancing. As a veteran BA, it's the best way to show just how crazed the fallen brethren are.

I think the bottom line is that it's a game balance issue and not an oversight. That rule -- and rending -- were clearly replaced by some other benefits.

Allowing rage to disappear with a chaplain would be too good for their current cost. People already complain that their too expensive, and I think you'd be looking at 25-30 points a model and 40-45 with jump packs if their rage could effectively be controlled.

I have had amazing success with the DC. I see a lot of people write on forums how they are overpriced and not worth the points. This couldn't be further from the truth. My 5 man DC with Power Fist lead by Reclusiarch has been devastating to my opponents. Nice to see that some of the folks here agree.

Daboarder and The Harrower, I completely agree that they're not as overpriced (unless you start to take a lot of jump packs) at all and I find that they are my most cost effective "veteran" unit. I just meant that there are people (not me) that feel the combination of rage+20 pts/model (or 35 w/jp) is too expensive regardless of how hard the unit hits.

Daboarder and The Harrower, I completely agree that they're not as overpriced (unless you start to take a lot of jump packs) at all and I find that they are my most cost effective "veteran" unit. I just meant that there are people (not me) that feel the combination of rage+20 pts/model (or 35 w/jp) is too expensive regardless of how hard the unit hits.

Rage is a non-issue when you put them in a rhino and are more tactical with how you play. You can just point and click, but to use them properly you need more finesse. With the vehicle being fast, you can easily get the DC where they need to be. On the initial charge, they are basically going to wipe out whatever it is you are the most concerned with. From there, any additional fire they take or units they manage to wipe out is just an extra bonus.

Rage isn't nearly the issue that most people make it out to be. Granted, it's more of an issue if you are using them with jump packs, but then the points cost gets prohibitive and its pretty pointless anyway unless you are running with Astaroth and an entire DC army or stuffing them in a Storm Raven.

Barring all of that, the intimidation factor and the the way my opponents are constantly distracted by them is almost worth the cost of the unit all by itself. Throw in WS5, rerolling hits AND wounds, S5 and I5 on the assault, and the options for Power Weapons, Thunderhammers, and Powerfists? For the love of Sanguinius how can people say they are over priced?!

I have found that running a dirt cheap unit of them... 5 in a Hvy Flamer Razorback with 1 Fist and 1 Power Weapon, no Chaplain.... still causes the opponent to be very scared of them. This lets my other fast units survive a lot longer.

I have found that running a dirt cheap unit of them... 5 in a Hvy Flamer Razorback with 1 Fist and 1 Power Weapon, no Chaplain.... still causes the opponent to be very scared of them. This lets my other fast units survive a lot longer.

That is not a bad idea actually, I have never been able to give up all them re-rolls, but even without a chappie I bet they would take just as much fire. Hell, anything in black with a big red 'x' on seems to be priority no 1 out of fear. I think I may put my DC in a red rhino and a tac squad in the black one lol

Well I was incredibly happy when I charged them into a huge unit of Plaguebearers and they held them up for 3 turns.

I spent the 130pts on Corbulo to run with one of my RAS squads and the remainder paid for a power fist.

I've run them cheap, and I like that 215 points (razor + fist and pw) as well Recently I've run 8/9 with 2 PW, a PF and a chaplain in a drop pod (250+100) and that was highly effective as well. They either made mincemeat of my opponent or just controlled one side of the table.

I run 10 of them with a power fist in a storm raven with TL las and TL mm accompanied by a reclusiarch and dread if I have the points. I have have had great success. In fact, I played a 3 man battle royal against Tau and Chaos.

The Storm raven went after the Chaos marines, while the rest of the army went after tau. The raven lost both las and mm, but the DC and dred smashed into the Chaos player stronger then I expected. The dread smashed a squad of plague marines and a rhino before being immobilized from a lucky melta shot. The DC and Reclusiarch was a different sort of success.

They ate:1 decked out Daemon prince(1 round of cc),10 man plague marine squad(2 Rounds), 1 rhino(from Reclusiarch's IP), 10 man squad of Korne Beserkers with skull champion(1 round), 1 5 man squad of rapters he didn't move fast enough(didn't get charge, 1 round of cc).

In another game, they killed a full guardian squad, 2 wraith lords, and immobilized a falcon grav tank before succumbing to star cannon fire.

I use them in every game and they always preform well past their points cost.

Archived