BA painting tips?

humør

Hello again guys and gals.

I have decided to paint some terminators I have in the colours of one of the coolest chapters around.

But, I need some tips on how to paint the red. My mini is primed white and I have all the GW reds except the foundation one, but I don't have any orange to highlight with, what do you think that I should do?

-Humør

Haven't tried it myself, but I heard that Vomit Brown mixed with a touch of white is great for highlighting. I will try it as soon as I get home, but if you try it, please let me know how it works because I don't get home in a few days.

I have found that over white a watered down red works best and then once dry you can go over and touch up any places that look patchy. over red i usually just use a red by itself. for highlights i use orange but have never tried brown. i recently decided not to highlight and use a black wash.

If you have Baal Red Wash, just give it a good 3-4 coats of even Blood Red, then a coat of Red Wash (don't soak, paint it on as if it was a watered down paint..) then highlight with Blood Red. It's subte, but looks good imo. I did that with my terminators.

I'm contemplating highlighting up to orante at some points though.

For painting red, you really want to use the foundation paint Mechrite Red, as the dense pigment really makes your life easier. For Blood Angels, I usually only use 5 steps:

• Undercoat with a mix of 50/50 Mechrite Red/Scab Red
  • Shade by painting (thinned down) Devlan Mud into the recesses
  • Basecoat with a mix of 50/50 Mechrite Red/Blood Red
  • First highlight is 50/50 Blood Red/Blazing Orange
  • Edge highlight with pure Vomit Brown

Result (very WIP obviously):

gallery_10716_621_32505.jpg

If you don't have Blazing Orange or Vomit Brown, I used to mix Dwarf Flesh into the Blood Red for highlights. Works great too, if you don't want the orange (adding yellow to the red) or pink highlights (adding white to the red).

Archived