DA Dreadnought

Maxamato

Hi All!

I'm thinking to include two Dreads in my list but I'm not sure in which load out.

My personal favourite at the moment is a Venerable Dread with extra amour; PC, DCCW and HF.

I use this list at the moment. I think this load out will gives more flexibility because I have with them a better chance to hit/wound more (heavy) infantry and to have 3 attacks (in the charge) with Str.10 could be helpful (i.e. against monoliths). Also it would be possible (via foot) in combination with a DW squad for objective grabbing.

However, I'm asking you which load out do you use and why?

Thanks in advance for you comments and help.

Regards

Maxamato

I'm a proponent of rare earth magnets on Dreads. It is relatively easy to pick up some more arm bits - think of the flexibility you gain through having the ability to swap out your weapons between battles. Personally, I would like a lascannon arm, a close combat arm, a missile launcher pod, and two autocannon arms. Lots of options there, and you can tailor it to the army which you will face.

While a plasma cannon is not high on my list of preferred weapons, it is still a decent one. The Dread you describe is pretty well rounded. If it works for you, stick with it.

The loadout you have is probably the best you can do with C:DA, it's cheap, effective, and tough as nails. Plasma cannons are the optimal choice because it doesn't rely as much on BS as say an assault cannon where C:SM's BS5 would be more useful and the BS5 would be wasted on a plasma cannon.

I personally use the same loadout because it's basically effective against everything in some way, but mostly because it's just hard to kill. As for magnetizing, you don't really need to with the new Venerable plastic kits, the only thing that can't be changed is the heavy flamer/storm bolter, but the ranged weapons (at least the three that come in the set) can be switched out easily without need of magnets.

The loadout you have is probably the best you can do with C:DA, it's cheap, effective, and tough as nails. Plasma cannons are the optimal choice because it doesn't rely as much on BS as say an assault cannon where C:SM's BS5 would be more useful and the BS5 would be wasted on a plasma cannon.

I personally use the same loadout because it's basically effective against everything in some way, but mostly because it's just hard to kill. As for magnetizing, you don't really need to with the new Venerable plastic kits, the only thing that can't be changed is the heavy flamer/storm bolter, but the ranged weapons (at least the three that come in the set) can be switched out easily without need of magnets.

All of the dreadnought kits that I've purchased have all had pegs that were fitted tight enough that I never had to magnetize them.

FW dread are the only one that need magnets. Most of the plastic one don't. As for loadout I ues plasma cannon and lascannon with Dread close combat/w heavy flamer. I have found they pervide anti-infantry or anti-armor capability with greater degree of success then other options. As always it up to you how you field your dreads.

just my two cent worth of imfo.

Master Gabriel

I've never bought a regular or ironclad dread, so I didn't really know, but I assumed such would be the same. It's rather annoying though that between the 2 kits you can't get all the options available. :P

Between the AoBR Dreadnoughts, the regular kit, and the Venerable kit, you can get most of the options, but no Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolters, or Autocannons. :P (I don't think I forgot any...) That annoys me, too. However, I have every weapon I'm likely to use, though I would like to try out a Mortis pattern one of these days.

Choosing an appropriate dreadnought configuration depends on a couple of factors. First you have to take into consideration what role it will be performing and how that role supports the rest of your list. If using a dreadnought for counter-assault and fire support, the multi-melta and plasma cannon are the best options, in my opinion. If you are using the dread for heavy fire support (taking out transports and monstrous creatures) then the Twin-linked lascannon and missile launcher configuration is best. This changes if you have access to the Mortis dreadnought though. I would love to use the twin-lascannon mortis in a tournament.

Hi all!

Thanks for your inputs an help.

My actual list is very shooty so I think to use the Dread as a counter charge/fire support unit respectively as an back line defender against deep strikers or out flanker.

It seems that the PC/DCCW HF Dread will be the best. He gives me 36 inches range Str7 AP2 (permanent) and a small blast. The flamer template provides also more possible hits but you have to be very close (8 inches) for full effect. And he is slightly more expensive as the build below.

But, what do you think about the AC/DCCW SB load out?

I guess the main problem with him is his shorter range compared with the PC. But he will provides 6 shoots at 24 inches. Which is better and he is five points cheaper. 4 form the 6 shoots are probably with rending (temporary).

In the end means that I have to decide between two builds.

Regards

Maxamato

I usually only use a HF in conjunction with a drop pod (the FW one gives the ability to deep strike and attack with a cybot for the same prices as our regular codex ones e.g.).

But I am a great proponent of the PC/DCCW/SB loadout with venerable upgrade and extra armour. It performs well enough against light vehicles and just incinerates terminator and power armoured squads.

Best used in pairs, in my experience.

Sometimes the sniper dread (aka TLLC+ML) is nice enough, too.

Your preferred dread load out is alos interesting, Cpt. Bannockburn.

I guess that the best way to find out it which configuration will work best for me is to play test them. :P

Regards

Maxamato

I always make my dreadnoughts venerable with extra armor. They just are too hard to kill that way. It's also one of the few things we have better than codex marines. Twenty points isn't really worth the extra BS and WS.

I'm not a big fan of the missile launcher. I usually use my dreads as a tarpit or close combat support unit and I want that DCCW to kill at least a few of the enemy. Don't get me wrong, a dreadnought is not going to wipe out any squads in close combat reliably with just two attacks a turn.

As for the right arm I prefer the lascannon then the plasma cannon. I run pure deathwing and am a little low in long range anti-tank firepower. The dreadnought fits that roll just fine. The twin-linking means I don't really need the +1BS of the 'nilla venerable.

I've been experimenting with running two dreadnoughts, one for fire support and one for troop support. This choice is mainly due to a limited number of Dreadnought weapon choices that I have. I have used a lascannon/missile launcher ven dread for long-range, and an assault cannon/power claw/flamer for up-front muscle. I am really considering switching the close-support one to a plasma cannon... free upgrade and a powerful weapon...

I never use the venerable upgrade on long range dreads, nor extra armour. It's usually easy enough to get them into cover and this just eats into the points. Ven+XA only goes on dreads with DCCWs, so they can keep moving forward :)

One build that is surprisingly effective is the assault cannon/missile launcher Dread. At first glance it doesn't seem like he'd work very well since his weapons aren't very complimentary, but a guy at my shop uses a pair of these Dreadnoughts to great effect. Being able to throw a frag missile template as well as four assault cannon shots is quite nice against infantry, as is the ability to fire one high strength shot and a bunch of medium strength rending ones. Personally I still think that the assault cannon/heavy flamer variant is better, but I thought I'd share.

Oh and as people have said, Venerable and Extra armor are awesome on Dark Angel Dreadnoughts. There's rarely ever a reason to not take Venerable as it makes the Dread crazy hard to destroy.

Archived