Danglies vs blood angels

scavvy

Interrogator chaplain Taddeo knew they were in trouble. Ahead there was a seething wall of violently yellow marines, all armed with close combat weaponry. Behind them the might of the storm wasp dreadnoughts; all dead, all seeming not to care. At their front a chaplain with bloodlust so great that his legend had already echoed half way across the galaxy.

"Time to die," said Taddeo, not knowing which side he meant. Somewhere out in the darkness was the corpse of brother Mandras, and with him the key to the secrets of the storm wasps' dreadnought programme. And somewhere an apothecary with a vial of Dark angel geneseed. Retrieve both, call it a day. Or fail and call it a lifetime.

Danglies

Interrogator chaplain Taddeo

-Storm bolter and power armour

With

Deathwing squad

- SBCF,ACPF, 2xLC, THSS

Tactical squad Secundo

- MM, MG, PF

Tac Tertio

- PC, PG, PF

Tac Quarto

- LC, MG, PF

Whirlwind Uno

Whirlwind Dos

Las Predator

Techmarine 01100110 01101111 01101111 01101100

- Servo harness

- Razorback (HB)

Storm Wasps (blood angels)

Chaplain guy (interrogator equivalent?)

30 Death Company

- 5x power sword

10 jump Tacticals

- power sword

2x Close combat scary troop Dread

Dread

- TLLC, ML

Dread

- TLLC, CCW

Dawn of War, Capture and Control

Turn One

Squad Quarto Set up to retrieve brother Mandras, and squadded to cover their own position while squad Tertio scrambled into a building to provide covering fire. Meanwhile everyone else rolled onto the brow of a hill for the attempt to spot an enemy in the half light. A lot of erratic firing into the dark followed by a decent shot from the techmarine and his heavy bolter. Suddenly the death company were spotlit, and the two whirlwinds rained pie. The deceased marines seemed not to care, as only 3 fell beneath the onslaught. This was in spite of the fact that they were practically standing upon each others' heads. Squad Tertio heaved a sigh of relief as the plasma cannon went off in it's bearer's face, yet didn't kill him.

The mean zombie marines ran full tilt towards the Danglies and four combat coffins stomped into play. The sniper dread was the only one to attempt to shoot, and it couldn't see a thing. Meanwhile some assault marines appeared out of the darkness to pelt towards squad Tertio.

Turn Two

Now that the sun had come up, the danglies could suddenly see their enemy, and they were far closer than anyone would have liked. They could also see the enemy apothecary, bunkered down in a ruin far across the valley. Squad Quarto abandoned their grasp on brother Mandras and fled to higher ground, better alive than torn to pieces by zombies. No one else moved an inch. The full might of the Angels of Darkness fell upon the wasps. Or that was the plan.

The terminators, whirlwinds, and razorback all opened fire upon the death company, but when the smoke cleared only another two were downed. The predator managed to blow the legs off the sniper dreadnought, the only one that would have been happy not to be moving! Meanwhile, Squad Tertio and the newly positioned Secundo opened fire on the assault marines. This time Tertio's heavy weapon decided to take out the side of a nearby building, but the others scored an impressive amount of hits. Only three assault marines stood.

The zombies hurtled forward some more, and the assault marines geared up to charge. They seemed to be showing no regard for their apothecary at all. A lascannon stunned the predator, and the zombies fired their pistols at half of squad quarto who were just out of charge range. After some ineffectual bolt pistol fire the assault marines leapt into squad Tertio. Five brave plasma enthusiasts died in that fight, but so did two frothing lunatics. The squad made it abundantly clear that they didn't care, and they fought on.

Turn Three

There was only enough time for one volley before the danglies would be swamped by the wasps. The terminators lined up to engage, and everyone opened fire again. Between the whirlwinds, heavy bolter, both halves of squad quarto and the close range ass cannoning from the terminators, the death company head been softened up to about 20 men. Squad Secundo rattled the other ranged dreadnought and the predator crew sat down for a stiff drink.

Weighing up their options the terminators charged the fearsome zombies. Taddeo and the evil chaplain had a headbutting match to no avail, while the lightning claws scythed through already dead flesh. In return the death company killed every terminator who was yet to strike. The valiant angels somehow got the better of their foe, but the fourteen of them that remained didn't seem to notice. Across the field, squad Tertio showed the sergeant of the assault marines what it was to be a piñata.

The dreads ran up the flank and made their bad intentions clear against the depleted third squad, while their immobilised brother once again stunned the predator. Having spilled their first drink, they poured themselves a second. The Dreads smashed through the ruined building and began to mutilate the marines inside. The survivor tried to flee but was trampled under giant pod feet. Taddeo's counterpart set about him once more, while Taddeo himself scored some neat hits on the surrounding enemy. The lightning claws flashed once more before they fell beneath the tide of the dead. Taddeo was without fear, though his resolve cost him a huge gash in his side. He was also now alone against ten of the enemy and their fearsome chaplain.

Turn four

To prevent Taddeo's death, the techmarine leaped from his razorback and charged at the death company. He was joined in the fray by half of squad quarto, while the others dived into the razorback and raced toward the apothecary. It was suicide, but there was always a chance for glory. The whirlwinds with nothing better to do pulled wheelies on the hilltop, while the predator crew judged them on their skill. Squad Secundo blew the legs off one of the sarcophagi, now picking it's way from the ruin. That would stop it moving faster than any dread has a right to. Taddeo dispatched two more of the animated dead while the other chaplain seemingly paused for prayer, and the heartened marines with him chopped down another. Just when it looked like things might go okay, the dead brought their hated powerswords to bear and cut Taddeo into several pieces. The techmarine began to flail his arms wildly, clearly malfunctioning in some way, and died before he could bring his servo harness to bear. The dead chuckled horribly and dismembered two of the brave marines. The remaining three had had enough, and bolted. The death company were too busy gloating to pursue.

The Dreads that could still move pulled back and headed toward the apothecary. Another lascannon blast from a dread and the predator proved that their elite crews truly are the laziest in the land. Only unable to shoot this time. The dead steamed after the remants of the Quarto squad and reduced them to fleshy cubes.

Turn five.

Squad Secundo continued to harry the retreating dreads.The razorback with the now mourning Quarto squad raced toward the apothecary, ending up about 8" away. The predator, unable to shoot, went full tilt onto Mandras and presumably mashed any retrievable material to pieces. The whirlwinds launched pie at the zombies, killing one.

The dreads continued their exodus, finishing about 12" from the apothecary, and abortively fired at the razorback. The death company charged a whirlwind, and somehow caused it no harm despite hitting automatically.

Game over, 0-0 draw.

This was my first game against C:BA, and I am scared of the death company. I admit it. I haven't read the codex, and was thrilled to find that they are basically vanguard but better! And their Souped up Chaplain is as harsh as ours, but better, for about ten points. And fleet dreads? Aargh. But it was a triumph for me, i thought I'd be made into paste.

Had it been six or seven turns? Don't know. I'd lean towards him tabling me- he didn't seem to care about the objectives. So I might have won on 6, but be dead by 7. Hell of a game, shame he was a first time blood angel (normally smurf). Next time he'll have a better idea of what he's doing.

Mods, move this if stupidly placed. :)

What an enjoyable read, definately one of the more amusing battle reports I've read on B&C involving DAs!!

Whilst tactically I can't really comment since I haven't played a game in over 10 years - I'd question taking the WW's against such fast moving sparsely populated foes such as BA's. Did you conciously choose that or were you playing a series of enemies with that list?

If so what are the reasons? Reading that it sounds like a criticism, but I'm just trying to work out peoples logic in army lists.

Cheers,

LokisSword

You're very right, the whirlies greatly underachieve against marines. We were supposed to be playing a couple of games at 1k, so i had to tack on 500 pts about 15 minutes before i went for the bus. Hence the techmarine in his very own razorback. Normally i'd go with a couple of units of ML devastators for pie potential, fancied a change and the whirlies and pred didn't require much packing. Sad but true.

Cheers for the feedback!

Archived