Making the Switch

Cstriker01

Have a huge BT army and I am selling them to get a new army so it will be SW or BA. I am familiar with the advantages of each, if anyone could be so kind, what would be a good 1500pt starting place for troop choice and army build? Thanks for the help. Would SG or DC be worth it?

The way I understand it is that a few Baal preds and lots of assault marines are the way to go. I do like the aggressive nature of the army (best defense is a good offense and all) just not sold on how troop heavy the army is.

If anyone could post a working 1500pt list for me to peak at that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Take a read through here, and take a look in the army building/list section of this forum. Once you get a feel for what is around, try see what you would like to play. What you're personally aiming for.

100 people will have 98 different ideas on what is "the" list to go with - so its better to streamline what you're looking for and what you'd enjoy.

Concerns I have are; BA units are a little more spendy, Grey Hunters and counter strike with wolf guard pack leaders are pretty awesome for wound allocation are as competitive for a cheaper price, DC are not scoring but are so hurty against opponents that they make up for that.

Both seem incredibly aggressive with BA's being tactically maneuverable and very hurty with their DC in addition to lower scatter rolls.

SW are tactically flexible against their opponents due to GH and Long Fangs, cheaper lists, and amazing scouts.

To me it would come down to which style of play I prefer. I have played SW (13th Company) in the past and have played lots of games versus the new SW. You have provided some of the strong points for SW:

• Grey Hunters/great scoring unit & relatively cheap pointswise

• Long Fangs/very cheap pointswise & excellent AT

Thunderwolves & Wolf Lords with SotB are also big plusses for SW in general. What I have found that codices written by Phil Kelly tend to have some really great units you simply can't afford not to take if you are a competitive gamer. SW are definitely one of the top tiered armies currently, you can't go wrong with them.

Blood Angels received lots & lots of hype prior to the new release but I feel a lot of the buzz has since died down quite a bit. I still prefer Blood Angels for style of play. Our assault squads are much better forming a strong core. I think we have lots & lots of great choices and it's possible to build many strong lists with lots of flexibility. Both armies tend to be small in number & elite. I am switching back over to a jump infantry based army as opposed to the mechanized list I ran with the PDF codex. Blood Angels in general now are a very mobile army & very hard hitting in close combat. So if these types of things are appealing to you then I think you'd enjoy playing Blood Angels.

0b :)

Like Mort says, you'e going to find a million different lists from all the different players here; mech, Jump, Drop Pod, footslogging, and what I like to call force recon (flanking fun for the whole family!).

Best bet, if you want to get a look at lists is to search-fun batreps and the Blood Angels army lists sub-forum. There are litterally hundreds of 1500 point lists to take a look at.

Well, I am a veteran player having played nids and necrons for a number of years (Never actually played marines though). So instead of finishing my BT's I am going to make the switch to those noble sons of Sanguinius, the Blood Angels!!!!

My buddy bought the Space Wolves set and codex and is planning to use them, so I figure if I can get passed the BA steep learning curve I will have a force to reckon his. Also, marines that succumb to kill-death-murder-rage as an ailment is pure liquid awesome.

So thanks for the advice everyone!!!!

Thanks for the thread post. Great ideas for what I am going to purchase first as soon as my BTs and Tau sell. My main competitor is a space wolf player and a buddy of mine who just started (i have played longer as nids, but for all intensive purposes we are both new to marines). Instead of getting the same army (which I still strongly considered since wolves and Russ are still pretty bad ass) I opted to go BA route...blood angels or bad ass route that is!!!

I am concerned about his GH's, cheaper troop choices, long fangs, and WGPL. They scare me...and MotW...they get some wicked stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't stray from an army that is in your hart just becourse an friend has them to, Why not play legion of the primed and make troops that can go both ways and test both till you know what you like and than get your red or gray paint out

I wouldn't stray from an army that is in your hart just becourse an friend has them to, Why not play legion of the primed and make troops that can go both ways and test both till you know what you like and than get your red or gray paint out

This is a good suggestion. Give both armies a try so when you chose you know you picked the right one.

Thanks again for all the advice. I opted for blood angels though in the end basing my choice on their aggressive style, their awesome new mini and hq line, and last on the Horus Heresy Books...Sanguinius is bitchin. I can't wait for the series to finally cover the siege of Terra and we get to see sanguinius alongside his legion and the imperial fists.

Archived