Wash?

Absolutely, that's essentially what the washes are, which is why they're not shiny like inks. I'd definately recommend giving it a try, I'm currently washing silver armour with hawk turquoise. You just need to thin it really far down, you'll be suprised how far a pit of pigment goes! :ermm:

I've personally found that the actual washes behave in a slightly different way than just watered down paints, they are a bit more than just this, and I find they work just that little bit better as a wash than a watered down paint.

However, watered down paints work just fine, especially if you want to slightly change the colour of a part, or darken it a bit, especially if you are going to paint over sections again later with highlights.

Agreed with Rik.

I use to use watered down paint, but the effect was decent at best.

I got some GW washes (sepia and black, they ran out of devlan) and used it over my Bleached Bone painted termies... they blend the color quite nicely and smoothen transitions. Watered down colors basically just take pigment to the deepest parts and that is about it.

I have now tried making my own washes... its actually quite simple! Matte medium, water with a bit of wondowcleaner and (that is the hardest to find) some ink/dye. I got some ordinary Titanlux acrylic universal dye (which is usually added to house paints) and it works 99% as the GW wash.

The problem I have with both GW and home-made washes on the Bleached Bone is that since it is such a clear color, if you are not VERY careful when brushing the wash, the model looks "dirty".

Hope it helps!

I've personally found that the actual washes behave in a slightly different way than just watered down paints

You have that upside-down. An actual wash is watered-down paint, while what GW sells as "washes" are translucent paints. Inks are something else entirely again than paint.

I have now tried making my own washes... its actually quite simple! Matte medium, water with a bit of wondowcleaner and (that is the hardest to find) some ink/dye. I got some ordinary Titanlux acrylic universal dye (which is usually added to house paints) and it works 99% as the GW wash.

Any paint shop or similar or crafts shop... ask for acrylic only!

Archived