Red Thirst

Sons of Horus

Did the Red Thirst exist pre-heresy?

I am actually inclined to say yes. The Black Rage however is a result of the Primarch's death.

In the 1st Edition Rogue Trader books they talk about the genetic, biological, and manufactured make-up of a typical Space Marine. This was back when my red marines were Flesh Eaters. ;)

Unfortunately those books are in storage now, but from what I can remember, it talks about the Blood Drinkers specifically - it says that a flaw in their gene-seed, causes an enlarged something something - and makes them crave blood. Normally marines are supposed to be able to taste any substance, chemical, blood etc... and be able to discern all of its elements like a science lab - the Red one's however can't stop tasting. -_-

Please know that I haven't looked at those books in several years, so I might be mixing a few different things together - but I think I've got it right here.

Yes, it was a flaw in their geneseed, but those flaws werent always present. The IF's once had all 19 implants, for example. The Red Thirst MIGHT have existed pre-heresy. But it wasnt expressed as it is now. The BA's were just as violent as the World Eaters in close assault, but they werent as (for want of a better word) messy/indiscriminate in their fighting. It was a similar amount of anger/fury, but more controlled. The death of Sang seemed to loose some of that control the BAs had, and it has slowly become waht we now know as the Red Thirst.

My 2c anyway...

It has been hinted that while it existed before the Primarch's death, it may have been kept in check by the influence of Sanguinius. A sort of Red Thirst "Rage" has always been a part of the Sanguinius story which is why I believe that this trait always existed, but 'weaker' in the Blood Angels and successors

It is actually not such an odd theory.. The Black Rage was described as a huge psychich backlash all Blood Angels had during the death of Sanguinius. The only way such a thing could have happened was if the Primarch was already psychicly linked to his Legion. And that could have easilly been to control the Red Thirst on a large scale through our Primarch's force of will alone.

My 2c

It is actually not such an odd theory.. The Black Rage was described as a huge psychich backlash all Blood Angels had during the death of Sanguinius. The only way such a thing could have happened was if the Primarch was already psychicly linked to his Legion. And that could have easilly been to control the Red Thirst on a large scale through our Primarch's force of will alone.

My 2c

Sounds reasonable.

I wish the red thirst were better represented in the rules. Like having to assault the nearest enemy unit that has lost a wound to represent their draw towards blood.

My 2c

Sounds reasonable.

I wish the red thirst were better represented in the rules. Like having to assault the nearest enemy unit that has lost a wound to represent their draw towards blood.

Not a bad idea. Or like they automatically direct their CC attacks at any Intependant character that has suffered a wound as well.

If you can, have a look at the Mephiston rules from 2nd Ed. He had a blood hunger rule where he could end up stopping and chowing down on the unit he just killed as long as he wasn't in combat.

Archived