new army idea

Somar

hello all,

i have been pondering a bit and am contemplating a whole new approach to BA, the static gun line.

the army consists of 2 tac squads, 2 dev squads, 2 priests, 2 libbies with the shield, a techmarine and a couple of good counter charge units like a furioso dread and a DC in a transport.

basically 2 big blobs of a libby, a priest, a tac squad and a dev squad, tech marine maybe reinforce a ruin and take care of the dread or transport, the army hanging back and blasting while getting good cover saves and FnP. the tac squads could CS and try to take objectives and get some RBs for more firepower.

this is just a ruff idea, any thoughts on if it is viable?

hello all,

i have been pondering a bit and am contemplating a whole new approach to BA, the static gun line.

the army consists of 2 tac squads, 2 dev squads, 2 priests, 2 libbies with the shield, a techmarine and a couple of good counter charge units like a furioso dread and a DC in a transport.

basically 2 big blobs of a libby, a priest, a tac squad and a dev squad, tech marine maybe reinforce a ruin and take care of the dread or transport, the army hanging back and blasting while getting good cover saves and FnP. the tac squads could CS and try to take objectives and get some RBs for more firepower.

why don't you use the ultramarine codex. Nothing in your list except the priest says BLOOD ANGELS.

hello all,

y don't u use the ultramarine codex. Nothing in ur list except the priest says BLOOD ANGELS.

With all due respect a player dosen't have to charge in chainswords reving to be a Blood Angel. He may not be using the army in the way that the fluff supports but that dosen't mean he can't use Blood Angels in that way.

hello all,

y don't u use the ultramarine codex. Nothing in ur list except the priest says BLOOD ANGELS.

With all due respect a player dosen't have to charge in chainswords reving to be a Blood Angel. He may not be using the army in the way that the fluff supports but that dosen't mean he can't use Blood Angels in that way.

Mostly this. The Blood Angels are a codex chapter. They are not the World Eaters. Using static forces is still Blood Angels-ey.

I suggest tactical squads with Razorbacks. Assault Squads also make good counter charge units. And while a shooty force can work very well with Blood Angels, it's worth remembering that speed is a great strength of the BA. That's how my force started: I played a gunline with Assault forces in the PDF. When our codex came out, I added razorbacks and rhinos.

At's a decent idea trying to take advantage of general 3+ saves and FnP with the added bonus of 5+ cover, but I just don't see a Marine gunline doing too well. A half way competent IG list will drown you with S8 ap3 templates, and while you still get that 5+ save it's not very reliable.

Instead of a static gunline, perhaps a close range firefight force would be more effective. It would be similar to Somar's original idea, but perhaps take out a Techmarine or two and load them Tacs in Rhino. Drive up to Rapid Fire range, and say "It doesn't hurt, I love you!" with a bucket of bolter dice. Maybe have a 5 man Assault Squad with an AssCan Razorback follow with a Libby attached, so you still get the 5+ cover save. This would have most of the advantages of a static gunline with the mobility granted to us for being Blood Angels.

Also, for the Tac Squads, a Plasmagun with a Combiplas on the sarge is amazing.

Something like this may be able to work:

Tycho

2 Priests

2 Squads of 6 Terminators with a Cyclone each

3 Tactical Squads with Melta, Combi-Melta, and Lascannon with a Razorback with TL-AC

3 Riflemen Dreads

At 2500 just add another Tactical Squad and a few Typhoons.

If I was going to do the gunline approach, I would get some Sternguard. Longer range bolters would be helpful, and the other shots are great too.

fail is strong withint this thread.

I wouldn't consider playing your army like you want to play them a failure. Plus your attempt at a Yoda quote was a bit of a failure as well.

If you want to run a gunline army then go for it. BA may not be the best at a standard gunline army, but were still marines and more than capable of fieding some nice shooty units. Played right it could be a lot of fun and decently competitive too.

my BA army so far looked like this:

mephiston

honor guard, 2x melta, champ, RB TLHF

JP priest

vanilla priest

chaplain

8 DC in rhino with chappy

tac squad, PG PC

RAS, 2x melta

RAS 2x flamer

typhoon

dev squad, 2x LC, 2x ML

(didnt bother to mention stuff like PF and PW)

still a strong assaulty force but that gun line in the rear was doing great, the PC nuked plenty of DSing stuff like termies, the typhoon, 2xLC and 2xML took care of a bunch of vehicles. i like the way that army plays, it has a bit of everything and it is not easy for the opponent to figure out.

the gun line army i will try once i beef up my BA army, from the sound of it it could work and be fun to play too.

Somar -

I suspect the reason your gunline was doing so well was because the rest of your army was being shot at more? Your current list contains a good mix of assault units that the enemy cant afford not to shoot at, and units that if he doesnt shoot at (your gunline), will shoot back just as hard and punish them for it. Remove the assault units and the threat goes away, and suddenly you renemies will be free to deal with your gunline and you'll be wondering what you're doing wrong.

But thats my opinion, and not neccessarily correct (but I do prefer to play a more balanced/combined arms army).

Archived