Advice on Painting Red Marines and Mentor Legion!

hi folks

as some of you may be aware from my blog im in the process of forming a number of forces, IG, =I= and most importantly marines! these marines are going to be drwan from both the Red Hunters and the Mentor Legion. After hacking at a few models its occured to me that ive never actually painted any marines in either of these colours before and its left me a a little stuck, so with that in mind i have a couple of questions as follows:

1. How does one paint Red Space marines? recipies, tips and guides would be appreciated
  2. What colour green is the torso of a mentor legion space marine? im thinking DA green but could be wrong
  3. how does one paint a white space marine? ive never done it ang as with red need guides, tips and help
  4. does anyone have a guide on how to paint digital camo? im sure i saw some scouts with digi camo cloaks but i have lost the link :lol:
  5. finally does anyone have a picture of the plastic space marine =I= shoulder pad please?

im sure there are other things ill remember as i read any responses i get but your help is much appreciated

cheers

millest

Hi, I can answer a couple of your questions :lol:

1. How does one paint Red Space marines? recipies, tips and guides would be appreciated

What I would do is first paint the parts to be red with either mechrite red or Scorched Brown(this gives a darker red), then once that dries, wash some devlan mud into the cracks. After that put 2-3 watered down coats of Red Gore until it is a nice solid coat. Then highlight with a 50/50 red gore/blood red mix, finally wash it in heavily watered down baal red.

2. What colour green is the torso of a mentor legion space marine? im thinking DA green but could be wrong

Most of the ways have seen it is in DA Green.

3. how does one paint a white space marine? ive never done it ang as with red need guides, tips and help

This one is a bit tricky (Make sure you have clear clean water, don't want to contaminate the white!)

1. prime mini BLACK (yes totally against standard thoughs but trust me)

2. Put a 50/50 water/astronomicon grey base on the mini until you get a nice grey

3. Put a 60/50 astronomicon/skull white mix on the mini, still leaving the original grey in the recesses

3. one more layer of 70/30 Skull white to Astro Grey

4. Highlight with pure Skull white

4. does anyone have a guide on how to paint digital camo? im sure i saw some scouts with digi camo cloaks but i have lost the link sad.gif

Sorry, I have to say I dont know anything about this one :P

5. finally does anyone have a picture of the plastic space marine =I= shoulder pad please?

here ya go right from the warstore

http://www.thewarstore.com/product27126.html

Blood Angel red recipes

Blood Angel red using Quick Shade

FAQ: Painting Red

Pig of Sparta's Red Tutorial

Word Bearer Red

Magmatrax Tutorial

FAQ: Painting White

As for the Mentors Green, the 2004-05 GW Catalog lists their green as: Dark Angel Green

SpikyJames can probably give you some tips on Mentor painting as well. His appeared in the Apocalypse rulebook.

Kheers Kurgan, as always a boon when things are needed, also thanks termie in hell, the infos great and will be of great use.

i will have a look at mr spikyjames's's's stuff and see if he has any threads on here

cheers again guys and im sure there may be some familiar named marines cropping up in the Red Hunters soon

cheers

millest

Archived